Viewing 19 posts - 121 through 139 (of 139 total)
  • The dreadful stuff you drank in your youth
  • frankconway

Much smiling at all of this – nostalgia? No.

Pernod; orange curacao; triple sec – no no no.
    A couple of really bad experiences on spirits – at 18 out with school mates & drank neat whisky all night culminating in trebles with total intake in excess of a bottle; lucky not to finish up in hospital after that one.
    The other was a new year’s eve – after a night of beer and wine moved onto neat dark rum; found it easier to crawl than walk after that session. I also swallowed the smallest from a set of russian dolls which was….embarrassing – and it was never recovered.
    Both sessions involved involuntarily decorating the pavement.

I haven’t tasted or smelled dark rum since then and it took me years to develop an appreciation of malt which I then drank rarely and in moderation.

Happy days???

Complete lightweight now.

frankconway

Just to add – poteen from Connemara but it was much more enjoyable throwing it onto an open fire than it was to drink; it has similar flammability to petrol.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i did the dentist chair thing that Gazza made famous a few years later. Neat spirits poured down your throat etc.

I remember zig zag walking back up the road and completely missing the hotel, only to be awoken by a woman off a coach who saw i was okay after i’d fell asleep/unconscious? at the side of the road.

They gave me a lift back which was nice, only to find my mate asleep in a wardrobe!

walleater

Red label Thunderbird got me through uni….. God knows why as it was disgusting. Still remember drinking a load of it, then accidentally necked some bong water and promptly puked over myself. Classy times…..

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Nipper99 – Member
    I must have been the only one…..

I wish you were -this post is making me feel slightly nauseous

I definitely enjoyed one too many dubious drinks in my youth. Merrydown, thunderbird, Gold label,southern comfort, pernod, MD2020 and the odd pint of bitter as I grew up in a village full of farmers so downing pints was game we frequently played.

So glad my way ward youth ended fairly abruptly when I fell pregnant . . .(the two may have been connected)

I dread to think where I would have ended up!

garage-dweller

Gin with Lemon Hooch as a mixer – blimey, that ended badly

Yep, triple gin and hooch (or Two Dogs a couple of years before, I may be older than you)

Also

Blastaway a bottle of Diamond White and a bottle of Castaway mixed in a pint glass. Tasted like lilt.

Very very dangerous but not nearly as nasty for me as a pint of Stella. The chemistry of that particular lager and me do not mix well at all.

Other things I will probably never drink again as a consequence of youthful enthusiasm…
    Archers, Malibu, Southern Comfort, Cinzano, Le Piat D’or, Hock, Liebfraumilch, Bells whiskey.

teasel
    Free Member

Same as Klunk with the Cinzano only it was accompanied by a towelling wristband soaked in grease and tar remover which one would inhale after a slug of vermouth.

Classy, eh…

TBH from a 12 year old onwards in my school days I used to make a concoction of all the spirits in my parents cabinet, stick it in my metal camping flask (a litre) and take it with me to help get through the day.

On reflection there were some really obvious signs of something going a bit wrong… 🙂

scu98rkr
    Free Member

this post is making me feel slightly nauseous

Me too, I don’t consider my self a heavy or a good drinker or even someone who likes drinking more than a couple of pints.

This year I have probably drank about 3-4 pints so far.

But when I hit Uni in 1998 drinking was just so all encompassing. Looking back I drunk soo much even though as lightweight I was clearly drinking a lot LOT less than other students.

For the first 6 weeks I drunk at least 3 pints everyday. I remember being desperate to go home just to have a rest.

I started to get used to it by the second term (10 weeks) and I remembering considering that a quiet night in was going down to the hall bar and playing pool/darts and drinking about 3 pints ish.

Which as I say is about same amount I’ve drunk all year so far.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Ah, Nipper, I was also a slave to the Gold Label Barley Wine. Couldn’t stand Cider aand this was the strongest beer in the off licence that I could get served in.
    I think the guy in the offy was so glad to see some going out the door that they never bothered asking for ID.
    About 10 years ago I caught my, then 90 year old, Nan drinking the stuff at her home. She used to put in the Christmas puddings but would always buy too much.
    Hard as nails my Nan was, even though she was under 5 feet tall.

theotherjonv

A few stick in the mind. mainly from Uni, to be fair.

There was Pitman’s pint – on sat am we’d get the newspaper and pick half a dozen lower league football games that Rob Pitman and a.n.other would assess using their ‘skills’. I think you got a point for a correct result and 3 for a correct score, whoever got the most won and whoever lost did Pitman’s pint. Which would contain all sorts; slops, donations, few shots, almost always Bailey’s to make it curdle, and if left unattended one ginger lad had a habit of pulling out a handful of pubes and adding it as garnish. Usually meant the evening ended early and badly for the winner.

Like others, Sat was for Uni football and then we’d meet for post match analysis, with first pint always being a special brew / 1080 snakebite down in one. Again, consequences predictable.

I have 2 specific nemeses. One was finding that another college’s bar promotion was whisky at 3 shots for a quid (mixer extra). 7 quid later and I’m puking my absolute ring, but with only 175ml of content, after the first soapy shout there’s nothing much else to come but still the retching continues. I never knew you could pull stomach muscles from the inside but i hurt for days. Took me years to be able to stomach whisky after that.

The other was a teenage drinks cupboard raid at a party, and a bottle of Ricard. Similar results, but even today 30 odd years on, just a taste of Pastis and that saliva gland under my tongue starts to lubricate in preparation. Oddly, it’s only the drink, I quite like aniseed / aniseed balls, etc.

Another was Diamond White. Blind date for 3 of us to meet a mate’s girlfriend’s friends. We had a couple of pints already and stopped at the Uni bar for another before heading to the meeting place…. and they had a ‘drink 5 bottles and get a free (really cheap really crap) T-shirt’ promo. So 15 mins later with t-shirts on over the top of our best clothes we present at the meeting point, her friends take one look at us and turn tail never to be seen again. Ah well, still good memories.

I suppose the only other one worth mention was my Nan’s funeral / wake. Where my uncle and I both got hammered on G&T (her drink) and then streaked around the pub – but as she was a publican most of her life with a wild streak herself i think that was a fitting tribute rather than something to be ashamed of.

theotherjonv

I remembering considering that a quiet night in was going down to the hall bar and playing pool/darts and drinking about 3 pints ish.

So true. In an attempt to curb drinking the college bar only used to open from 2030 to 2230 on weeknights and sundays (1830-1930 and then 2030-2230 on Saturdays)

All that happened was we got used to drinking fast. It was not uncommon to do 8 pints on a weeknight in 2 hours. Looking back i also don’t know how we survived (either that or the beer was heavily watered down)

gobuchul
    Free Member

I think this was a 1980s NE thing.

“A blend of British wine and Scottish Whiskey”.

chakaping
    Free Member

I used to work on the fags & spirits counter of a low-budget supermarket in Tottenham as a part-time job at Uni.

Clan Dew was very popular with the regulars. It was about 30% if memory serves?

Unless that was you popping in to stock up Gobulchul?

Northwind

I worked in a nightclub that for its thursday night promo did black death vodka for 50p a shot and black death tequila for 20p. So it was completely normal for people to order a pint of tequila and 2 shot glasses, for £4.50. The vodka was rank and the tequila was paintstripper but when your goal for the evening is to catch an STD that’s all fine

arrpee
    Free Member

I’ll cop to have drank Buckfast.

It’s truly murderous stuff, and not just in the sense that it’s facilitated more than a few murders.

You’ve got to hand it to those monks for having the idea of combining copious amounts of alcohol, caffeine and sugar before it became fashionable.

Every bottle was a self-contained adventure. Our preferred mode of consumption was to serve it chilled (achieved by immersing it in the river Clyde for a couple of hours), thus leaving it marginally less cloying.

However, it also served as a versatile cocktail ingredient. We often mixed it with lager to create “Bugger”. A sub-variant of this was created by using an exceedingly cheap lager, purchased for about 5p per can from Gateway, called Breaker (someone’s posted a picture above). The resultant drink was known as “Breakfast”.

The first time I drank it was at a horribly ill-advised party thrown by a girl in the year below me at school. Newly built house, parents away for the evening, wall to wall cream carpets, bit of a rainy evening, circa 50 drunk teenagers. House got utterly destroyed. I decided to get the hell out of Dodge when the girl’s uncle (a renowned local bampot) turned up to turf everyone out. However, as I was leaving via the front door, I came face to face with a big white balloon hanging at head height.

And what do you do when you come face to face with a big white balloon hanging at head height? Well, you headbutt it don’t you?

It was a glass porch light.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Ah Absinth. That brings back a memory or rather not. I was on tour at the time and went down with a severe virus/flu type symptoms. I was shivering and feeling generally near death before the show. One of the band decided that the only thing for me was to drink half a bottle of the stuff. Apparently I was flying on stage (I have absolutely no recognition of the evening) but when I woke up the next day I felt bright as a button. I’m pretty sure that stuff nuked all the germs in my body!

I can’t even look at Cinzano without wanting to retch. It was the first drink I was so drunk and puked on as a teenager. 😡

allan23
    Free Member

Student Promo nights used to kill me, there’s a few things I can’t stand even now.

Huddersfield Poly Union, the old building in the middle of site, used to do some cracking specials about 88/89.

50p a double for Southern Comfort – can’t drink it nearly 30 years later, Tuborg Gold made my hurl after a can and half – like Special Brew but worse. Dodgiest one was some cheap barrels of Belhaven Bitter they got, tasted foul going down and coming back.

Have fond memories of skipping an afternoon of lectures to spend hardly anything on a two day hangover.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Turbo diesels. Pint glass with a bottle of K and a bottle of Becks. Occasionally with black.

It was actually quite nice, if what little memory I have of it serves.

Edit:

Then we started mixing…
    Turbo diesel – cider, lager, black current, double vodka. Filth.
    Turbo spritzer – white wine, Smirnoff ice, shot of Malibu. Rank.

Seems we missed out on the vodka.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hmmm Litre bottle of Blue Smirnoff and Irn Bru wasn’t going to end well.
    Cue a late night Edinburgh Glasgow train being redecorated with scotch broth and emergency stop handles being pulled.
    How we weren’t carted off by the BTP I’ll never know.

The night on Orkney Skullsplitter (8.5%) didn’t end well for me either…

Nothing too silly now, although I had several cans of Sixpoint Resin (9.1%) a couple of weeks ago to round off an evening in spoons, kinda buggered up most of the next day, much to my OH’s annoyance.

Gone are the days of a bit of a hangover until mid morning, nowadays its a day and a half.

Viewing 19 posts - 121 through 139 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘The dreadful stuff you drank in your youth’ is closed to new replies.