Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 171 total)
  • The Dirty Reiver – 200k Graaaaaavel ride, April16
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Well I only did 45k in a loop, it’s all I wanted to do. Just rode around the forest and upper moors of Keilder Water, just to get a feel for the place and check out the surface etc.
    Wasn’t supposed to be a definitive “this is what it looks like” post.

boxelder

Wasn’t supposed to be a definitive “this is what it looks like” post.

I didn’t read it as such and was just trying to ‘flesh it out a bit’. Sorry if it came across otherwise 😳
    A lot of the fire roads there are surfaced in grey igneous rock (Whinstone) which will be where you found the sharp rocks you mention, I imagine. That’s the stuff that stuck to everyone’s brakes and ate through bikes at the K100 a few years ago.
    We’ve tried to avoid these where possible. Other areas use a sandstone base (brown in colour and less ‘pointy’). If you came across logging, I’d imagine those tracks will have been loosened by the vehicles. Not sure what the recent weather has done – certainly wouldn’t fancy the ford at the moment……. 😈 Off to ride it again soon, so there’ll be updates and pics I’m sure.
    High Fell events are putting together a 24hr event up there for Feb 2017 which could be interesting.

bikebouy
    Free Member

No offence made, none taken. Just observation from me.. 😀

As is it was the first time I’d ever ventured that far North, I kid you not. Thats one of the main reasons for heading up that way to scout out what I’ve been missing.

It truly is a fabulous place, I look forward to riding and enjoying the area. I will for sure (unless the ride kills me off 😆 ) be back for more riding there..

GregMay
    Free Member

Greg, mad fool

Will you do a blog of it?

Yes, more or less. plus something for Grit.cx I think.

Either way, hurrah!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bump’idge..

Seems the folks running the event have reopened entry for 48 more hours from today. They’ve managed to expand the entry list, to what level I don’t know.

So, so if you think riding 200k on Gravels your thing in the amazing Kielder Forest, I’d hop on over to the site now..

mikekay
    Free Member

Just got in on the extra 48hr window. Not done this sort of thing before so looking forward to it, ask a good few people i know and could get anyone interested so just me on my Planet x XLS

mtbmatt
    Free Member

So what bike setups are people planning foe this? NB. This is a blatant post to get other peoples ideas 😉

At the moment I have a beachracer, so kinda monstercross bike with Ultegra di2/hydros but undecided on tyres. Narrower fast MTB tyres or gravel tyres, or maybe even a beach racing tyre.

johnnystorm

I’ll be on a Jones Barred Ti 29er. Rigid carbon forks if I get around to fitting them, or SIDs if I don’t. 1×10 with 34 x 11-42

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I am in the process of resurrecting my old kona explosif. It seemed like a good idea on Saturday anyway, we shall see.

bikebouy
    Free Member

This.. It’s my TCX Adv1, Reynolds Assults, 46/36 & 28/12, and I’ll stick on my Challenge Gravel Grinder tyres.

GregMay
    Free Member

SS Cotic Escapade.

mikekay
    Free Member

Had a test run around Dalby last week on my cross bike and thought my 33mm tires could be a bit small but because i’m on tub’s i think thats the biggest you can get. Anyone know of any larger sizes for tubs ?.
    I can only presume that Dalby will be a lot rougher than Kielder (i was on the red not fire roads) but a bit more comfort wouldn’t go amiss.

tazzymtb

Bike choice will either be, my jones space frame for comfort, the blacksheep for speed or the rooster for sort of in the middle..all singlespeed….probably whichever one inspires me to take it out to play the day before and using whatever tyres and gear ratio that happens to be on it will do. Only three gears anyway, sit and pedal, stand and thrutch and walk…any more is a distraction for my simple brain

boxelder

Hope the prep is going well for this. One of the team rode 170ish Km of the route today, with failing light(s) stopping play. Frosty, with only a couple of downed trees. There is very little flat – which is either good, or bad for those on SS I guess. Completion will be as much about mental strength as the legs. New views being opened up by some handy clear-felling too.
    Accommodation will become scarce, so look soon – the wonderful folk of Northumbria await.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I’ll be on my old Kona. Probably 35mm Slant 6s or 33mm Racing Ralphs – not sure yet. 32/24 up front and 11/32 out back. Might get a 22 inner ring.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/xrtNj2]P1000428[/url] by jamesanderson2010, on Flickr

bikebouy
    Free Member

boxelder – Member
    There is very little flat. Completion will be as much about mental strength as the legs.
    Accommodation will become scarce, so look soon – the wonderful folk of Northumbria await.

Thanks for the update!

Accom booked a very long time ago, complete with sauna and massage for the day after!

What tyres was your mate on?

boxelder

He was on 29×2.25 Ralphs/Rons I think
    🙄 I know…….
    Was packing some kit in a big seat pack too. Luddite.

32ish mm tyres will become uncomfortable. Don’t say it wasn’t mentioned.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Are seat bags / frame bags not the done thing here then.

boxelder

I fully ascribe to luggage nipper99
    I was being facetious.
    There’ll be no need for luggage on the day, but feel free. I’ll mostly be riding a quad bike.

gee
    Free Member

I would really like an entry to this if anyone is unable to make it/scared to ride 200km 🙂

gee
    Free Member

If anyone is looking for a bed for the Friday and Saturday nights…

I have got a spare single bed in a twin room at the Pheasant Inn which is 10 miles up the road from the castle.

15-17 April. £50 per night.

Let me know if you are interested.

GregMay
    Free Member

Less than a month now.

We all feeling perky for a lovely 200km in the sun?*

*I bet it rains.

munro
    Free Member

I’m undertrained but super excited. I’ll be on my mk1 Fargo with maybe some Onza Canis’ on. Slow & steady away.

Any insight on feed station frequency and stuff to eat – OTE sponsoring are they providing their ace crispy ricey choccy bars?

Fingers crossed for some weather.

munro
    Free Member

Just read the website again – 3 feed stations and things to eat! Apologies

GregMay
    Free Member

I’ll be on my mk1 Fargo

I’ll probably be on the Ti Fargo with Nanos. Unless something else happens faster than expected *fingers crossed*

Feedwise – I’m treating it as a training day for the Tour Divide, so will be carrying all my food from the start, top up with whatever whenever. Eat-ride-repeat. No further plans.

crazy-legs

Ooh, gee, is that spare bed still available?
    I’ve done nothing about sourcing accommodation! Was thinking about camping…

munro
    Free Member

Planning to park and kip in the car. Any idea if there’ll be a butty/tea van in attendance at the start village?

paul78
    Free Member

Joey’s Coffee will be operating and the Cafe will (should) be open too 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Training going reasonably well, could do with another 100k stint offload but I think I’ll just carry on hacking until a week before.
    We’re in a swanky hotel but it’s an hour away South, so I’ll just drive up, setup, ride, pack away, fall asleep in the car, wake up, drive back to the hotel and eat.
    I might shower the following day, see how I feel 😆

I’d love to know more about the conditions, but expect too much information is, well too much information and we should just turn up and ride it.

I see the feed stops are 60k with time limit, 100k feed only with a 130k time limit if I’ve read the site correctly.
    Luckily the course time limit stops are near to the start/finish so should we all get booted out we’ve not got far to scuttle back and sulk.

dazh

Well a month ago I was quite terrified of this, but after doing 70 miles on the WTB Nano equipped Dirty Disco last weekend with not too much pain I’m feeling much better about it now. Until of course the April monsoon starts, in which case I’ll be having nightmares about sodden, draggy fire roads.

Staying at my folks in Newcastle, driving up on the morning so a 4.30am start. That’s going to be the hardest bit.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well I’m packing for the event, I know it is still a few weeks away but I’m in Town next weekend on another long distance Tribute to Paris-Roubaix, then that’s it, I’m done.
    Just out for a hack on the CXer to make sure it, and me, are fit for purpose then everything goes in the wash and pack up tomorrow.

I expect we’ll hear shortly about the route and GPX file from the organisers, if I hear anything I’ll post it here.

Best of luck to all those entered and riding.

boxelder

Final GPX check ride tomorrow, then it will be shared with you all so you can get some familiarisation laps in…..
    At least tomorrow looks less wet than of late. Could be a long day.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Bike built, crazy beast it is too. Hopefully all will be well although could probably have done a bit more for fitness.

STATO
    Free Member

GPX has been released, route looks great. Lots of climbing but will take you out the forest and into some truly fantastic scenery and views.

bikebouy
    Free Member

WooHoo!

Looks ace.

😯

paul4stones

Can anybody who has downloaded the GPX tell me at what point Stonehaugh comes? I’m guessing it must be a feed station and, as it’s just up the road and I reckon there are at least 12 people I know doing this, I might go and spectate there.

Also which way round does the route go at that point?

Cheers,

boxelder

Paul,
    Stonehaugh is feed station 1 at around 58Km. The route comes in from Kielder to the village ‘hall’, then back out and through Whygate towards Bewcastle. If you fancy getting a bit more involved, with some marshalling etc, there would be some sponsors goodies, food and beer in it for you (and maybe a ride next time?). If interested please mail geogwm@gmail.com. We’ll be up there in the communications black hole this week, but I’ll pick up email.

gee
    Free Member

Still got a bed in a twin room available if anyone wants it…

eshoote
    Free Member

I’m using my trusty Tripster ATR bike with 46:36:28 3×10 setup but still debating tyre choice as sounds rougher than expected. Think I might go for a Pana Gravel King SK in 32mm on rear as the heavy Conti touring plus tyre been training on is just too sluggish on climbs. Still can’t decide on front, wrote my thoughts on mostly tyre choice here: Dirty Reiver Prep

STATO
    Free Member

In my many years riding at Kielder ive come to the conclusion that if there is a section that sucks it will suck regardless of tyre or bike choice. Thankfully each bad bit only seems to last a few mile before the surface changes to something else.

Ive stuck Nano 40’s on mine as they are the biggest tubeless tyres I have. tbh I dont particularly like them but they have plenty of volume and are not mud spikes so should roll faster than my other cx tyre. Im not racing though (marshal) so wont have to suffer enjoy the full 200km 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘The Dirty Reiver – 200k Graaaaaavel ride, April16’ is closed to new replies.