Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The difference between shimano's 10spd derailleurs,if any?
  • blader1611
    Free Member

I am currently running 9spd deore/slx on a triple but i want to change to 10 speed so i can use a clutch derailleur to quiten down my chain noisy bike. CRC are selling the Zee,deore m610 and slx m675 all within a pound of each other. Is there any difference in any of these? Why is deore the supposed lower in the range mech the same price as the Zee, what am i missing if anything?

otsdr
    Free Member

Everything below XT has a stamped/bent sheet metal inner parallelogram link/cable attachment, while XT/XTR/Saint have a forged alu one.

Acera and below get the stamped metal treatment on the outside link as well:

blader1611
    Free Member

Forgive my ignorance but does that mean very little in terms of performance/compatibility? Is this just a case of getting a bigger discount on a higher end product thus bringing it closer to a lower end model. So would i be better off with the zee, it being a higher end model or is real world suggesting no significant difference.

blader1611
    Free Member

I think i can rule out the Zee as i think they are only compatible with single ring set ups and i am running a triple.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Performance wise if you put a percentage on them with xtr having the theoretical 100% xt would be around 90% and slx atound 60%. The shifters make more of a difference below xt. Again xtr are slightly nicer to use than xt but there is a bigger drop down to slx which use bushes instead of bearings. I always use xtr for no other reason other than bling but have some bits of xt which is very good. I won’t use lower than xt though as it just feels a bit rubbish. Works very well just feels cheap and nasty.

ehrob

I’d say that’s a bit harsh on SLX and Deore. Both are superb for the money, not at all cheap or nasty.

For your purposes of 3×10, given the price, SLX is the best of the three you name there.

ads678

I’ve got various bits of Deore, Zee, XT and Saint and have run SLX shifters and mechs in the past.

I don’t think there’s that much difference in reality. I can afford more now so would generally go for XT as they look nicer and are a bit slicker.

I’m not paying XTR prices though!

blader1611
    Free Member

Ehrob – i think the same as you, slx its likely to be.

XT and XTR are not an option at those prices.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I don’t think I’m being harsh on slx. It feels very cheap and plasticky, no where near as nice to use as xt or xtr. Works very well though as I said.

damascus
    Free Member

smashed my xt clutch mech 10 speed a few weeks ago and ordered a replacement xtr from eBay. The seller had just upgraded to 11 and it was like new. Cost £60 so not much more than xt.

Anyway, it didn’t arrive in time for Sunday’s ride so I borrowed a deore non clutch mech.

It set up fine, it shifted fine, slightly clunky and loud on downhills but that’s because it had no clutch. To be honest, couldn’t fault it.

I normally buy xt but I’m swayed by lightweight kit.

I don’t really see a lot of difference between xt and slx apart from the price.

bigblackshed

ZEE and SLX derailleurs are in reality the same thing. They share lots of common spare parts, the only difference is the ZEE is a bit beefier. Shimano machine off more material on the SLX. The ZEE is aimed at gravity riders on a budget, similar to SAINT, without the price tag. But they come in 2 capacities. 11-28 (DH) or 11-36 (Freeride / FR) Both are aimed at single ring set ups, but “can” work with the right components, set up, and chain growth if on a full sus.

The ZEE and SLX shifters are similar in feel, a bit heavy on the changes. The ZEE doesn’t come with a indicator window.

The XT shifters are noticeably lighter in feel, whilst still being positive with a proper “click”. The mech is just a bit nicer all round. More bling, less industrial.

ampthill

In my experience of rear mechs the jockey wheels are a real world difference

Deore are a plain metal journal bearing that can corrode and get terminally sticky when looked after by me

XT use a ceramic journal that always seems re resist my efforts to destroy things. If they get sticky that just need a bit of cleaning

But I still by cheap read mechs as they often get torn off before the bearing go

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘The difference between shimano's 10spd derailleurs,if any?’ is closed to new replies.