Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • The definitive STW guide to sartorial elegance for MAMILs off the bike
  • funkmasterp

Different opinions is what makes things interesting. I firmly believe that tucking in T-shirts or shirts when paired with jeans should be a criminal offence. It just looks odd to me. If you’re dressing casually, then be casual about it. Totally agree with not wearing hats and sunglasses inside though.

mechanicaldope

Never wear jeans if your over 30?!?!? My punctuation can’t fully express how much I disagree with that! Maybe not stonewashed or baggies but surely there is a place for a decent darkish blue pair of denims?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Don’t wear your wellies to church
    Pig catching coat stays in the barn
    orange bailer twine on trousers for casual engagements, green for formal attire
    Wash your vest weekly at most or you’ll not get the wear out of it

ferrals
    Free Member

I wear very little else than blue jeans! And I tuck in my shirts, think un-tucked shirts look ridiculous, or at least they do on me being quite slim

bob_summers

Being as I’ve barely met anyone off here, and without photographic evidence to the contrary, I can only assume most of you dress like that bloke pumping up his ghetto tubeless, or wear those aeroplane shoes.

And/or this:

km79
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUJsRMaTiLU[/video]

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

TJ earlier today.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

#strangest

MrSmith
    Free Member

If you don’t wear jeans over 30, what do you wear?

High quality selvage denim.
    A medium to high rise and cut properly with a slight taper. None of this carrot or anti-fit nonsense. No fake rips, tears or superfluous stitching, no funny washes just indigo dyed and let them fade over a couple of years.
    Have 6 pairs on rotation so the crisp deep blue new ones for smarter even with a jacket down to the oldest pair worn with less smart top halves.

Don’t listen to TJ

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Smarter, but never smart. Jeans cannot be smart dress. They’re a dull uniform that makes a suit and tie seem boring.

MrSmith
    Free Member

No they are not “smart” have other types of pantaloon for that but they are on a sliding scale from faded and worn to crisp deep indigo, they each have their place.

fasthaggis

Don’t listen to TJ

Always good advice 😉

bearnecessities

Sweet Jesus, this thread has descended into the depths of the word “pantaloon”?!

Dress how you want, because it’s who you are – read into that what you want 🙂

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Why precisely shouldn’t people over 30 wear jeans?What about leather jackets?Nobody over 20?

vondally
    Free Member

Never wear white sunglasses especially Oakley’s
    Never wear specialized MTB shoes with chinos …and post on stw and then post on sartorial elegance 8)
    Never wear jeans and cowboy boots unless you are Sam Elliot
    Never wear your baseball cap with the peak to the side or facing backwards.
    Never shop in debanhams and expect to be sartorially elegant.
    Madchester is 20 years ago move on
    No adidas sambas

Wear everything with ‘ panache’ and !maybe you will get away with it….okay maybe not…maybe don’t give a sh#t…..no no no have some self respect…..

Above all remember taxi for Mr Mutton…..
    so dress without big logos,
    shirts are generally better than t shirts or polos but both a ceptable
    No florals no no bright neon colours,white is white not grey or yellow pits
    Jeans okay depending on occasion
    Mix basics, grey hoodie with a touch of contrast
    Subtle is good
    Stand tall do not slouch,
    Shoes buy good quality

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Its very simple:

Wear what you like OR consider if your grandfather would approve. There is no middle ground.

garage-dweller

Nuts to all your sartorial rules.

If we stuck to the petty rules of sensible and convention in all areas of life we’d never have had mountain bikes or the Porsche 911, we would never have tried Thai food or gone to the moon, never risked hikes in the woods to see wildlife at night or had the music of Queen or Hendrix or grunge (and probably Beethoven and endless others).

So you can stick your what trousers or tops to wear at age x where the sun doesn’t shine.

Tomorrow I shall wear what I want. It won’t be a dress or a spacesuit and it won’t comply with TJ’s advice. It is however unlikely to be earth shatteringly exciting either.

senorj

No logos . No polo shirts . No crocs.
    No.
    IMO .;-)

vondally
    Free Member

No comedy ties or socks#…..no no with ties and socks,…no Christmas jumpers

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I wear a black furry gillet over my grey hoodie.I,m such a bohemian.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Howies FTW 😉

nickc

Nuts to all your sartorial rules

Couldn’t agree more. It’s as if Never Mind the Bollocks never happened

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

garage-dweller – Member
    Nuts to all your sartorial rules

Well said! I may be middle aged but I’m not dead yet!

tjagain

Why should people over 30 not wear jeans? Mutton dressed as lamb – you look ridiculous.
    What to wear instead? A proper pair of trousers well pressed or “chinos” if you must

Coyote
    Free Member

Do you actually read back what you post? For an otherwise intelligent chap you come across as a real cock when discussing what should and shouldn’t be worn.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I can’t see how jeans have anything to do with age.They were originally workwear.

Gary_C

The rule for stw’ers is to wear a pair of Hebtroco moleskin trousers, surely?

funkmasterp

Chinos, really? Unless it’s the 80’s and you’re my Geography teacher nobody should be wearing them. Jeans are not a young person only thing. When I was in my teens and twenties I didn’t own a single pair of jeans. People should wear whatever they want as long as it’s not a polo shirt or a tie 🙂

RustySpanner

MrSmith – Member
    If you don’t wear jeans over 30, what do you wear?
    High quality selvage denim

Snobby jeans then.
    🙂

km79
    Free Member

I thought it was kids who don’t wear jeans these days ‘cos they are for oldies?

I wear mostly the same type of stuff I’ve worn since I’ve stopped growing. Can’t imagine I’ll ever feel the need to change that.

tjagain

Leather jackets – only if you ride a motorcycle

MrSmith
    Free Member

Snobby jeans then.

not really as they are slightly under the radar and less showy than ‘designer’ denim

discerning rather than snobby/showy

footflaps

Who knew, it has it’s own market segment!

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I was looking at skinny jeans today in Primark.Not to sure they will go with my hoodie and grey beard.Did we agree on age for the wearing of leather jackets?For male athletes that is.

tjagain

Leather jackets – only if you ride a motorcycle or are / want to look like an Armenian gangster

funkmasterp

There are other styles of leather jacket other than bike and 80’s. They can look rather good on the right person. Bit like any clothes really.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

What about a 53 year old man about town?

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

PS,if the above is the original tj I,m glad he’s back.Nice counterbalance to the reactionaries on here.

footflaps

PS,if the above is the original tj I,m glad he’s back

Thought he had a lifetime ban (for his own good and STW), so I doubt it.

tjagain

I’m in deep cover – don’t blow it

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘The definitive STW guide to sartorial elegance for MAMILs off the bike’ is closed to new replies.