Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The definitive answer – bash guards and tacos
  • thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

Right, this chestnut. I’ve done hours HOURS of googling/reading and i would like to finalise it with a STW classic forum ask to get everyones ‘opinions’ 😀

The consensus seems to be for a soft bashguard and seperate isgc/bb mounted retention device (for those that need them).
    Soft – absorbs impacts rather than just passing them onto the mounts/crank
    Bash rather than taco – if it were to b a big hit, worse case scenario you write off your cranks rather than mounts/frame

Now – why do all the manufactures seem to be producing taco style guards? e.g. MRP g3, black spire DER guide, LG1+. I reckon it looks prettier/should be better from a mud perspective but surely this dosnt make sense? I’m presuming they design them to brake/mash before the mounts do. SO is the soft bash route no longer the best way to go? This is for a single ring btw.

Thanks guys n gals!

Superficial
    Free Member

Some chain devices don’t play nicely with bashrings whereas tacos are fine.

Tacos don’t impede your pedalling/ affect your balance as much when you hit something.

Tacos = less rotating weight. However from what I’ve seen, tacos are often slightly heavier overall.

Tacos can be shaped according to the shape of what you’re likely to hit rather than being limited by the diameter of your chainring. In theory this could make them more slippery? I’ve not seen many manufs playing around with this though.

Your BB shell is probably sturdier than your crank axle. Of course it’s more expensive if it breaks, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen any pictures of someone claiming to have destroyed a frame by smashing the taco too hard?

JoeG
    Free Member

Pink taco FTW! :mrgreen:

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

i’d be more concerned about destroying the tabs and so ruining running a chain guide

singlespeedstu

Your BB shell is probably sturdier than your crank axle.

While this is true most tab mounts for tacos are only held on to the frame with a few small tack welds.
    A big impact might not destroy your frame but it could rip the mounts off.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘The definitive answer – bash guards and tacos’ is closed to new replies.