Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • The death of my 5spot
  • Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It was only a couple of weeks ago that someone on the forum made reference to the fact the 5spots seemed to last 5 years before failing.

'Blimey', I thought, I'd best keep an eye on mine, since its just over 5. This is what I found last night, during my continuing refurbishment plan.

😥

And so I've dispatched an email to turner this morning to see what they say about replacement chainstays. I don't hold out much hope to be honest, I seem to recall them running out of Horst link parts a couple of years ago.

Anyone have any experiences of getting replacement back ends for older 5spots?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Doubt Turner will have any left (to be fair to them). Try asking on the MTBR Turner forum – someone there is bound to have one lying around.

nickc

Ride it like you stole it until it breaks. Which I bet it won't in the next couple of years, by which time it'll be due replacing anyway. Chain stays aren't under that much stress IIRC

geetee1972
    Free Member

Chainstays seem to be the place were frame most frequently break, at least on full suss frames. Intense and the Spesh Enduro are high profile examples.

There seems to be a point a few inches behind the pivot location, where there is either the welding or CNC machining is placed at the highest level of stress in the event the bike bottoms out. If you think about it, under full compression, the chainstay would see a heck of a load as the wheel is then acting like a great big torque lever.

The biggest issue for you now will be psychological. I couldn't say whether it will break or not, but I can tell you that you will be thinking about it every ride and especially every jump/drop!

Look on the bright side; it gives you a valid reason for buying a new frame!

guitarhero
    Free Member

I had similar marks on my 5 spot chainstay and was assured by Turner that they were not cracks.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

This most certainly is a crack because I can flex it open.

MTBR seems like a good idea.

wwaswas

it looks like something that could be welded up, tbh – it's machined and probably not subsequently heat treated.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I'll have to see what turner say. I'm not privy to their frame treatment processes, but I'd be surprised if they weren't heat treated in some way.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Oh bugger.

epicyclo

It can be welded, patched, or whatever.

It's metal.

Find a guy who does aero work.

khani
    Free Member

i have a spare set of h/l chainstays you can have for what they cost me (£35)
    only problem is they are red, mail in profile if your interested

lowey

My Spot is 5 years old 🙁

I too am now paranoid.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Stw comes good again! Khani – YGM!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

bit of paint stripper – bosh job done!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Don't worry Buzz, I have another bike for friday. 😀

khani
    Free Member

ygm back 😀

Candodavid
    Free Member

The biggest issue for you now will be psychological. I couldn't say whether it will break or not, but I can tell you that you will be thinking about it every ride and especially every jump/drop….

Scienceofficer Jump/Drop…I don't think so LOL

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

My 5-spot is 5 years old, I'm not paranoid.

When it snaps in half I'm just going to get the DW version.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Should I start watching my 6 pack cerefully then?

Don't Turner do a pretty good trasde in for existing owners?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Cando – my lack of droppage makes the crack even more worrying! Anyway, it should be sorted now.

ADH – Funds permitting, I'll be going to get the DW when the time comes too.

khani
    Free Member

Its rare for an older 5spot to break the back end, they usually go on the front triangle either on the taco brace or the rocker pivot, normally when 5.5 rockers have been fitted, the tnt 5.5 spots have a longer pivot mount on the seat tube than the hl spots to cope with the increased loads on the mount,

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘The death of my 5spot’ is closed to new replies.