• This topic has 105 replies, 83 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by cp.
Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • The Dark side who’s in & who’s out?
  • AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Yep here but in the mud is where me roots are.

And I always wear a peaky helmet.

samuri
    Free Member

I will add, if you are of a competitive nature, roadying is the way to go. EVERYONE is up for a race on a roadbike. You’ll pass some chap, say hello and carry on. 3 miles down the line you’ll look over your shoulder and he’ll be there, right on your tail and you’ve been pulling him along into a strong headwind. Discovered, he’ll realise the game is up and will stand on the pedals and will be away. You’ll be knackered after fighting that wind but you’re 100% obliged to tag onto his back wheel and chase him for the next twenty miles with pure adrenalin pumping through your veins until his heart explodes.

That’s what riding a road bike is all about.

alwyn
    Free Member

It now has real peddles and Tri Bars.

When I get a TT bike it will be my training bike. At the moment it’s used for Triathlon races.

UncleFred
    Free Member

Here’s mine…

UncleFred
    Free Member

well that didn’t work, trying again

UncleFred
    Free Member

last go.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Yes I`m in !! .. new convert in the last month or so , got fed up cleaning my MTB ….
    Love the speed of the road bike and it just eats the miles up !!

fangin
    Free Member

I’m still very much in the closet.

cheers_drive

In
    I prefer offroad but when time is limited and you can’t be bothered to clean the bike then road is a worty alternative. Always dismissed it because I had only experienced riding knobblies on the road, the SPEED and the DISTANCE is the trill of the road

ononeorange

Wouldn’t dream of it. Loath car drivers.

Futureboy77

Back on the road bike after neglecting it last year.

Getting more of a buzz from the roadie than the mtb just now (so much so that i’ve found myself thinking about a new Colnago!!!).

It’s all just bikes though….two wheels good! 😀

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

If you look at the UCI top twenty best MTB’ers I bet 99.999999% of them do the majority of their training on road bikes.

juan
    Free Member

If you look at the UCI top twenty best MTB’ers I bet 99.999999% of them do the majority of their training on road bikes.

You mean top twenty XC racers… As DHs and trialist probably do some mountain biking some times to times.

oldgit
    Free Member

We are very fortunate here in Milton Keynes to have the MK Bowl for winter night ride sessions.
    Every Tuesday night is a great social and training night. And looking at our trails right now I know were I’d rather be given the choice.

rustydub
    Free Member

Most definately in.
    Bought my first proper roadbike nearly 2 years ago, clocked up a few thousand miles.
    Just bought a carbon Scott CR1, built it frame up using mainly 105 parts, a very nice ride.
    Just come back from a week riding around Tewnerife on it, suberb, sun, monster climbs and decents.
    Someone tell with me that hurtling down a twisty mountain road keeping up with cars is dull.
    Also did a fair bit Of CX racing over the winter.
    Still have a soft spot for all forms of mountain biking.

ultratorque
    Free Member

well, I’m in, actually it’s where I started and am now moving into XC as well. Having road raced and done track I tried a few XC rides last year with my club and loved getting into the woods and fields etc rather than watching them from the road. I like the tricky and technical aspects of it too, slowly learning these. Also rides tend to be more relaxed.

Still come summer I’ll be mixing RRs (in the evenings) with XC rides (at the weekends) hopefully.
    So I’m in the process of building up a hard tail XC bike, another thing I love about bikes is building them up yourself.

TimP
    Free Member

Here’s mine. Not very exciting, but it does the job when the trails and my mates are too wet.

Junkyard
    Free Member

in but very little use these days (not helped by being in bits in my shed)
    Agree with samurai .. it is a man thing no one can overtake you it is just not allowed … even on a recovery ride. I just cant stop myself from doing it and I am not even fast anymore or competitive.. i even try on my commuter/hack I once trailed someone at 25 mph for 4 miles I was dieing he knew it and just kept getting faster and faster it was agony and we stopped at the lights and I was at max heart rate and panting like nobodys business and he looked like he had spent the last hour watching tv on a sofa….. I offered to swap bikes for the next stage… he declined I watched him go in to the distance.. i think it a man thing

oldgit
    Free Member

ultra torque

RR’s in the evening, would that be Hillingdon.

JonBurns
    Free Member

I think I’m actually a roadie that crossed over onto the Dirt Side.

The boundaries blurred at some point and I’m finding I’m doing more trails than road at the moment.

Now I’ve really got myself confused by buying a singlespeed Tricross.

Am I Bi-cycle?

molgrips
    Free Member

I ride a lot on road, but only cos it’s good training. I don’t really enjoy it, but a lot of that is due to there being crap road biking around here.

Someone tell with me that hurtling down a twisty mountain road keeping up with cars is dull.

It’s dull. Sure, you’re going fast, but speed is relative. 40mph on smooth tarmac is way less exciting (or challenging) than 20mph on a bit of rocky steep singletrack.

As for distance, who cares? I can be in Chepstow in an hour and a half, so what? Chepstow’s not that great 🙂 The woods 5 miles from my house are more fun than the A48 and there’s much less traffic. And you don’t have to fight your way through Newport first.

Kit
    Free Member

Well there’s a difference between training and doing it for the enjoyment. I got my road bike for the former, and developed no affection for the latter.

ultratorque
    Free Member

Hi oldgit (doesn’t feel right calling someone that in front of them so to speak!)

London yes, but Crystal Palace is my favoured course.

YellowBelly
    Free Member

At what point does a MTBer become a roadie??

I must have made the switch-over as I cleaned by road bike last week, and have been going to the local roadie track recently.

Even the peak on my lid gets permanently left off these days too.

mudshark
    Free Member

I swing both ways:

cp

I’ve recently acquired a Fuji Track bike – which is set up with brakes for road use. Went out on it for 51 peak district miles in 3 and a half hours in the sun weekend before last. best road ride ive ever been on 🙂

dabbled a few years ago with a rubbish but expensive Dave Hinde custom road bike. put me off road riding for years.

Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘The Dark side who’s in & who’s out?’ is closed to new replies.