Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • The dark side, it might just have to come, some questions.
  • igrf
    Free Member

It has been the wettest year I can ever remember and that’s down here in the Sunny South East, so I’m thinking of riding that bike that cannot speak its name.

What I guess I need to know, I’m 31″ inside leg but not that tall 5’6″ what frame size should I look at.

I know I’m probably going to hate it, all that breathing car fumes, all the potholes we have round here and all the pseuds that ride them(paying 5-6k ffs), so I thought buy some cheap munter to give it a go, then if it does take, maybe join the brand race, there’s one of those pinafellas on ebay going fairly cheap now, but then even cheaper like £150 – £180cheap from brands that call themselves viking and such but with 14 speeds, I’m guessing this is about as pants as it gets.

Or I could try a swap, I’ve got a fairly high spec racing carbon XC that I don’t use much now, I had thought of putting slicks on it, but for 150 quid might as well have the real thing. I mean there can’t be that much difference it’s only gear inches and thin tyres after all.

Tell me I’m wrong (and what size I should have)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I wouldnt bother.

It used to be good but it seems all the idiots who did ride mountain bikes have now “turned to the darkside” and bought road bikes after this summers events.

Stick with mountain bikes, I’m going back to mountain biking.

globalti
    Free Member

You need to buy the lovely “as new” 55cm Bianchi that I’ve got for sale, cost £1000 and a snip at £650:

druidh
    Free Member

If yer serious, then sizing is a bit of a conundrum. While I laugh at the idea of a “professional bike fit” for all the recreational riders, it’s too difficult to simply pick a frame size and say “that’ll fit”. Pick a brand you like the look of and has something within budget, get into a decent LBS, tell them you’re just starting off and take it from there. I reckon you’ll be recommended anything from 51 to 55. It will vary across and within manufacturers.

theboatman
    Free Member

If you can push your budget a bit, try the Triban 3 from Decathlon for 300 notes. It’s no howler for the money, Cycling Weakly appear to quite like it

If you did like it, this should see you through for a while. If you don’t you probably stand a better chance of getting a decent resale than a proper BSO.

amplebrew

I’m 5ft 7 with a 31.5 inside leg and I ride a 53.5 effective top tubed road bike with a 100mm stem.

I could go 10mm longer on the stem, but I prefer a more relaxed position.

I used the Competitive Cyclist fit guide when I first started looking as I didn’t have a clue about road bikes; their recommendation was spot on for me.

DezB
    Free Member

Get something second hand. Local paper, gumtree or something. Ebay prices are unpredictable, but you could find a decent darkside (Say it lots, they hate it) bike pretty cheap if you look locally.

As druidh says, sizes vary across manufacturers. If you can find something in a bike shop that fits, look up the geometry online, you can get an idea of how others size up.

igrf
    Free Member

Sorry, can’t buy anything from Decathlon on principle, hate the bastards, it’s complicated don’t ask.

Bianchi – No, sorry can’t ride that either – that’s half the problem, with those of whome you cannot speak their name, so many brands try and fail.

So 53.5 is that the top tube bit, don’t they measure the down tube like we do? Sorry haven’t clicked that fit link, I shall do that right now and look stupid.

Second hand means finding someone my size no? And those new ones are so cheap and for some reason size 54’s seam cheap are they like XS’s and don’t sell lots.

And ‘just starting off’ behave, I’ve been riding bikes all my life, don’t need some surly youf half my age bullshitting for africa trying to clear some slow moving stock.

druidh
    Free Member

I assumed you might know at least one decent bike shop….

transapp
    Free Member

**** me grumph, you’ve really done it now. A road bike ffs!

Actually, you’ve never been happy with second rate equipment your entire life, you ought to be getting something proper at least…

Edit: you do know Rick Perkins is a roadie don’t you?

amplebrew

So 53.5 is that the top tube bit, don’t they measure the down tube like we do? Sorry haven’t clicked that fit link, I shall do that right now and look stupid.

The seat tube measurements vary so much and the effective top tube is the important bit.

My road bike is listed as being a 52cm even though the top tube is 53.5cm and the seat tube is 48.5cm 😕

igrf
    Free Member

I haven’t done it yet, I’m just thinking about it, I just want to give it a quick go, not something you can exactly rent a ride on is it, everyone round here has gone over, think I’m the last man standing, it’s just getting so claustrophobic, all the rides are clagged in and it’s lame riding an ATB along canal tow paths which is about all that’s going right now.

Anyway thanks for the attitude correction, I feel much better now, time for a hetracet tablet before bed and more chain suck tomorrow.

Edit: Rick Perkins? Exactly the sort of person who would ride road bikes, I bet he’s really into it let’s hope he doesn’t do a Si Reynolds, having said that everyone thinks he’s become a really nice guy since he hit his head..

transapp
    Free Member

Excellent glad to be of service.

AndyF1
    Free Member

Borrow one off a friend?

igrf
    Free Member

I have no ‘friends’ not that I would speak to if they ever took it up. 😉

AndyF1
    Free Member

What mtb do you ride? Was that around £150?

igrf
    Free Member

No it wasn’t, not even the first one years ago, but then riding off road, there’s a logic to pay for quality kit that aint going to fold on you, even more so when chucking yourself down mountains, but riding on the road? What is the point? More for less, seriously it’s mostly marketing bollox.

druidh
    Free Member

Ah – so all this is just another stupid **** troll?

Northwind

TBH, I’d sooner ride my mountain bike in the wet than my road bike.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Just put some lycra on and go for a walk in the rain.

Its about as much fun and you still get to look like a ****.

transapp
    Free Member

Edit. Can’t be bothered. Bed time.

igrf
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    Ah – so all this is just another stupid **** troll?

It started off well intentioned, genuinely a bit confused by road bike sizing having spent most of the early part of this evening trawling through ebay looking for them, then realising I really wouldn’t have the first idea what size. So that question is now happily answered, so all the rest of the thread, yeah i guess it’s headed that way now I’ve been ‘spotted’ by a user of some other forum..

As to spending £450 quid on an alleged ‘mountain bike’ then using it on a proper mountain, I’d feel a lot more comfortable spending £150 for a Road Bike to use on the road as it’s less likely to kill me.

RealMan
    Free Member

As to spending £450 quid on an alleged ‘mountain bike’ then using it on a proper mountain, I’d feel a lot more comfortable spending £150 for a Road Bike to use on the road as it’s less likely to kill me.

A bike’s a bike. If it doesn’t work it may try to kill you, no matter what you’re doing with it.

Only real difference is with mtbs, you can pay more for more skill compensation.

AndyF1
    Free Member

Ive seen the adverts...you can get one of those Mountain bikes for £69. Youd be Bonkers spending £450 on an alleged one.

RustySpanner

Have you thought about taking up football?
    Keeps you fit, you meet some lovely people and it’s very sociable.
    Safe too.

If you’re anywhere near this place:

this place:

this place:

this place:

this place:

or even (shudder) this place:

you might want to pop in for a look round?
    I’m sure they’d be able to offer some good advice.

Northwind

Road bikes are simple machines, you can get a pretty decent one for a small amount of money but buying new, better to spend a little more than you’re talking of- will be lighter and more durable, and likely to be cheaper to run even in the short term.

The low-end Carrera ones are usually great value and reasonable performers, not sure what else is out there to rival them just now if Decathlon’s out (because the Triban is fab)

igrf
    Free Member

Jesus, that Triban thing is a bit outrageous, typical bloody decathlon.

That’s put me right off now, wish I hadn’t started this thread, and I’ve ‘done’ football thanks, a long time ago when we used to win World Cups then go back to work on the monday.

Edit; I bet that statue cost more than the whole bloody team got for winning in 66.

globalti
    Free Member

Triban 3 is an excellent bike for the money but they saved the cost on the wheels, which are really garbage. So buy one but factor in another £100 for a set of entry-level Shimano wheels.

What about a crosser with discs? You could enjoy some nice clean fast road riding but still take it off road occasionally.

Kryton57

Lol at the opinion of Bianchi. So apart from the history, the reviews, the fact that the Columbian national team, pro tour riders and many competitive riders use them, escaped your notice and in your opinion they are rubbish eh?

Despite admitting you know nothing of Road Bikes. That Bianchi is a damn good bike, you’d be wise to do some research before jumping on a bike forum with such claims.

igrf
    Free Member

Nothing necessarily ‘rubbish’ about the product, it’s the brand name that is imv not something I’d like to be seen riding on, they used to be a purveyor of rubbish mopeds, a bit like Peugeot, another name I wouldn’t have gracing my dark place, I am and have always been a brand whore/victim delete applicable, so I don’t like certain brands. Volvo in cars, Gun in windsurfing, Best in Kiteboarding, Salamon in Snow, so however good the bike may be the name writ on it ruins it for me.

In all seriousness the only reason I’m even considering the activity is because that Wiggins bloke has cleaned up its image, anyone who can win over the French, be a fan of Paul Weller, yet not mind being associated with a load of lycra clad butt chasers and not have to do drugs (other than the requisite post ride hetracil)is a fine example to me. That and the bloody trails all being unrideable around me.

So what other than the tyres and brakes separates the road and a cross bike, I guess they must have different geometry, can a cross bike stay with a pack of club riders should the rider normally stay with them on a roadie?

RealMan
    Free Member

I guess they must have different geometry, can a cross bike stay with a pack of club riders should the rider normally stay with them on a roadie?

Silly question really, we’ve got a rider who trains on his cross bike, he more then keeps up, he’s capable of dropping people, but then he’s a really strong 2nd cat.

On the other scale we have guys on road bikes who only just keep up, if you put them on a slower cross bike, I could see them going out the back (more).

We’ve also had someone keep up (mostly) on a mountain bike – an xc machine of a 29er, but still a mountain bike.

And just the other day one of our riders entered a late season hill climb. It was raining so he took the cross bike that he’s built rather than one of his nice bikes. His cross bike is awful, it’s heavy, slow, and one day it will kill someone. He won by 50 seconds or something.

So can a cross bike keep up with a road bike? Can a full sus keep up with a hardtail?

igrf
    Free Member

Yep kind of confirms what I’m thinking anyway, should have just done it, fix some road wheels to my XC racer.

njee20
    Free Member

If we’re doing stupid claims by the OP this is better I reckon:

More for less, seriously it’s mostly marketing bollox.

An expert on a subject you know nothing about. On stw? Surely not 🙄

When do the schools go back?

FWIW I’ve got a 20lb XC race bike, and a 22lb winter road bike. I’d never choose to ride the MTB on the road, awful! Road bike all the way.

Kryton57

I’m slightly annoyed that your doing this to ride the wave of popularity, rather than a genuine interest or desire for bikes, enough to slag off some brands that are historic to our sport. Clearly by your own admission you want to be in the popular crowd and once the novelty wears off you’ll bin it.

I don’t understand that attitude, but each to their own.

igrf
    Free Member

Well I think you need to read the post before coming to judgement, the primary reason is the weather, the ‘popularity’ I don’t know which planet you’ve been on, but actually it’s been ‘popular’ since the last Olympic go round, there are hundreds of them, thousands in fact, a bit late to be doing it because it’s popular and it’s never been cool, not ever and never will be, despite the side burned ones best efforts, he’s just made it barely acceptable.

And expert? where’s that written? Why would an expert ask questions here? I don’t even like road bikes, never mind being an expert, however, the exercise they offer during periods like this that long rides are out is what I’m considering and not wishing to waste a red cent on what is neither worthwhile or fun is my goal.

RealMan
    Free Member

I don’t even like road bikes, never mind being an expert, however, the exercise they offer during periods like this that long rides are out is what I’m considering and not wishing to waste a red cent on what is neither worthwhile or fun is my goal.

weeksy

Well that was a waste of 5 mins…

OP, you’re a muppet.

winterfold
    Free Member

I can’t be ar5ed to read all of this, but it’s got to be the OP trolliing? If not – thank you God.

igrf
    Free Member

And so sayeth the Queen of Winterfold Hill…

saw your KOM today, bet you can’t wait for me to set you some real tasks, glad you’re obviously getting better, do you think your mangina will be well enough to go windsurfing soon?

winterfold
    Free Member

I need a rocket up my arse before I’m Queen of that. Not even in my age group, but STW forumites – probably.

Anyway, I’m working right now and just came on here for some light relief, oldgit’s Rapha hate was quite good but I nearly spat my coffee (Rapha mug present from Jnr 😉 ) when I saw this.

Dave Taylforth’s first post isn’t far off the mark…

Ive got some used minty arse lard you can borrow if you do take it up.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘The dark side, it might just have to come, some questions.’ is closed to new replies.