Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The dark nights are drawing in……bike lights for trails needed!
  • Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Pretty much as the title reads…..unfortunately i’m not made of money so not really wanting to spend £300 on some!

Any good stuff knocking around this year? Any suggestions? Any to stay away from?

Ta!

Sandwich
    Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Top man! Plenty of reading material there.

Yak

Summary of all that:

Buy a solarstorm x2. Throw the battery away. Source quality cells, case, cabling and build a whizzy run-all-night system. Announce total cost of 2p 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Why you’d throw the batteries away, I do not know.

No problem with these

john_drummer
    Free Member

that’s a good price DezB

I bought a nice bright LED light about 18 months ago for £50 – here – and I thought that was cheap. but < £20 ? that’s crazy

DezB
    Free Member

Have recommended them to a few people at work and no-one’s had any problems.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Just don’t order from lightmalls.com

3 days since order and I’m still waiting for it to be packaged!

Processing-Waiting to be packed

Yak

You’ve found a good one then.

After mine failed, I didn’t go the self-build route. I bought a ready-made replacement pack from torchy. V good so far.

weeksy

Thanks DezB, I’ve added to my favourites for next months purchase 🙂

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Yak, a correct summary if ever there was one! I’m no further on…..and even more confused….whats all this talk of people making there own?!? Have these people not got lives to get on with? Oh hang on, this is STW afterall!! 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

making your own was a good cut-price option when the only decent lights with long (i.e. over 2 hours) run time cost over £150. Then the Cateye Stadium – the first HID system – arrived at over £300; and some systems started approaching the price of a mid range hardtail

Now you can get LED lights that are way brighter than the brightest halogen systems available say 10 years ago, with 3+ hour run time, for under £50, it’s not such a sensible option

boxelder

Fun though, for some. Why cook when McD’s do Drive thru?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Two solar storms here, one on the bars one on the lid. My house hasn’t burnt down yet…

rockhopper70

I didn’t go down the cheap cheap route when I bought a light, but I did buy an “expensive” battery from mtbbatteries to match up to my magicshine head unit. In stw terms, it was very expensive at £75ish. I just like the reassurance that the battery should be reliable and I have back-up should anything go wrong.
    If I was looking now, that moon light from Merlin looks a good offer and I’d use mtbbatteries again for their head light.
    Lights can be had much cheaper but if you are budgeting for £300 the world is nearly your oyster.
    But you can save a bundle building up your own system, if you have the inclination to read 10 pages of thread! 🙄

Edit….you aren’t wanting to spend £300!

hartcliffeburner

MTB Batteries job that costs about £120, I use it off-road and for commuting great bit of kit.

scc999

If you’re put off by the idea of buying a light from China and then a battery pack, try here:

http://www.candb-seen.co.uk/

Cheers,

Si

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘The dark nights are drawing in……bike lights for trails needed!’ is closed to new replies.