Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • The Danny MacAskill YouTube phenomena, best bit?
  • thepodge
    Free Member

ianv – For the BMX perspective, check this out:

Front flip to grass bank, smooth as you like

noteeth
    Free Member

[snaps out of his 80s childhood gate start]

“BMXers have been doing this kind of thing for years” is a bit of strawman stance, imo – the corrollary being that it’d be more respect-worthy if he was was riding nothing less than Woody’s golden Hutch Trickstar itself. Brakeless, of course.

It’s all bikes, innit? I bet my false teeth that kiddo could make riding a Penny Farthing look like the raddest thing ever.

enfht
    Free Member

A MA ZING

The mind boggles at what stunts they’ll be doing in another 20 years.

MrAgreeable

Noteeth, that’s not the intention at all – it’s just that this sort of thing tends to reset people’s memories, and before you know it, the people who have been doing similar things for years get forgotten about.

noteeth
    Free Member

Noteeth, that’s not the intention at all

Don’t worry – I hear ya. 😀

It’s all good, basically – where once we had dog-eared posters & folk memories, we now have the tinternet. Praise be!

Now, flatland on a Brompton…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Checked the BMX vid, still dont get it. Somehow using pre-built, perfectly sized ramps is, IMHO, less thrilling than riding anything you find in the street. But I dont want that to sound like BMX is poo, just not my thing.

jimmy

chunkychew – Member

It’s the slanty wall hip to slanty wall landing for me. That’s massive.

I was thinking that too. And the landing is effectively flat. Still, he schmoooooth as yer like

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Its the combination of all the styles that’s so impressive and the pure style with which he pulls stuff off. One of my favourite bits was the front tyre tap over the gate. Maybe not that impressive compared to the big stunts, but just beautifully pulled off. The same with some of the forwards/backwards manuals. Aaron Chase and Ryan Leach rolled into one with a side serving of Chris Akrigg.

The backflip off the tree was just “…!!…” though.

AB
    Free Member

The video is being discussed on BBC 1 SCOTLAND NEWS tonight.

nickc

The tree flip had my missus wondering whether it was faked, she had to watch it a few times to be convinced.

massive skills

noteeth
    Free Member

“To say the response to this video from trials/cycling community and even the general public has been unexpected would be somewhat of an understatement!”

(over at trials-forum)

Good on ya.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

The long wheelie along the thin rail.

How many bones has he broken in his line?

druidh
    Free Member

JohnClimber – Member

The long wheelie along the thin rail.

How many bones has he broken in his line?

druidh – Member

From The Scotsman

Even Danny has had his fair share of war wounds. Since he started riding trials bikes aged 11, he has broken his wrist and dislocated his index finger.

Err – that’s even more amazing than his stunts

druidh
    Free Member

And on the BBC Scotland web pages

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8010262.stm

Mr MacAskill added that he has to take ibuprofen before he rides his bike to stop the pain in his wrists from years of absorbing the impact of his daredevil stunts.

grumm
    Free Member

I like the way the BBC article has the Giant MacAskill museum in Dunvegan as a related internet link. Is he a relation?

stucol
    Free Member

Just compared Danny’s vid to Leech in ROAM and i have to say that Danny is much smoother.

His section in “Home” was excellent but the new vid just blows it away.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Ive watched daniel progress for years during my lunch breaks and stuff and i never got bored of watching what he had learnt the night before.The list of new tricks came every day and he still keeps adding to the list.yes,theres some bmx stuff thrown in here and there but who in the the world of bmx can throw in trials riding like he can throw bmx into trials? nobody. and before you go off on one about what should and shouldnt be, theres no rules. Its a free style.

Freestyle.

Its similar to a dj mixing 2 records and coming up with something that sounds better than the original records sounded in the first place.. but some folk seem to be viewing his riding style through their old school bmx spectacles with that “this has been done before” attitude and coming from there myself,i can see the tricks of 20 odd years ago filtering through in his runs but coupled with the height he does stuff at,the narrowness of things he rides on etc.. its a diffrent kettle of fish.
    fakie manual to tailwhip with 26″ wheels weighing that amount? comee onnn! Its bonkers.just amazing to watch. maybe its this whole new combo of riding at such an intense level that intrigues us all.

(well,most of us.. :::puts on an early 2hip video to keep Mr agreeable happy::: ;OP)

I found sowerbys filming and daniels riding as enjoyable,or possibly more enjoyable than when i watched van homans section in a certain vid.that was amazing back in the day for me.

The best 24/26 inch wheeled street rider in the world today.

no?

ok,who is?

martinxyz
    Free Member

grumm, i think his dad owned it!

will
    Free Member

I’m now watching various trials bikes on ebay, thanks Danny 🙄

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Don’t know which I like best of about half a dozen bits. For the sake of the vid, I’d have loved to see the barrier drop in where it belonged. It looked like it didn’t line up well, and needed bending to put in though.

adstick
    Free Member

Just for some bmx perspective 😉

iPed
    Free Member

The best bit? – The fact he wore a helmet!

MrAgreeable

Somehow using pre-built, perfectly sized ramps is, IMHO, less thrilling than riding anything you find in the street.

Not going to get into a “which is better” debate here, but that statement demonstrates an amazing ignorance of BMX. Even in that particular video clip there’s loads of street stuff, including some huge moves. Not to mention the fact that Mr Macaskill has probably spent plenty of time at the skatepark…

I know it’s not going to be as interesting to everyone watching some people ride round and round a ramp, but it comes down to personal preference and how interested you are in the technique aspect of the sport. I was watching a skate video round a friend’s house that was just two blokes skating a mini-ramp in their garage, but with absolutely ridiculous and complex varations on standard tricks (here if anyone’s interested). I was bored by it, he was enthralled. It’s all good.

Xan
    Free Member

I liked the tree flip and also found the bit he fell off the fence on the first occasion funny.

Must admit still think Ryan Leech is better the video of him cycling across a chain link fence is incredible.

D0NK

Yep the best short vid I’ve ever seen, I think its thecombination of riding, the music (which I love) and the cool editing that do it.

That tree flair thing made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I also like the manuals and nose wheelie stuff.

el_diablo
    Free Member

The sideways jump from one kerb to another kerb with a 360 whip is pretty darn impressive too! (4.27)

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I just showed it to my four year old:

“that’s cool”

“He’s very good”

“He just cycled up a tree”

“Boink Boink Boink”

“He just cycled up a barrier”

“He’s crazy”

“That’s the craziest thing I ever saw”

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not going to get into a “which is better” debate here, but that statement demonstrates an amazing ignorance of BMX.

I admit I’m not overly well versed in “BMX” and I wasn’t hoping to get into a which is better debate either (its personal preference after all) but I’ve seen very little in the way of street BMX action that compared well against trials at all (IMO). All the street and flatland stuff seems to be primarily about getting the bike to look good or grind down railings – flips, spins etc. To me that’s less impressive than getting the bike to go to odd places, riding things that you can’t even imagine getting a bike onto, hence trials “wins” for me. At the end of the day it’s what floats your boat, not which is better. Everyone is raving about the “tree flip” which to me is highly BMXy and didnt really interest me as much as him riding the railing (apparently took him 8 hours to nail!) or some of the bunnyhops up larger stuff.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

The first time I watched that video it did almost inspire me to rant on about the progression of trials etc. etc. Then I watched it again the next day, and realised that it’s just the fact that it’s BMX style stuff being ridden on a trials bike is what makes it stand out. Not to take away from the guy’s awesome skills, he’s obviously an incredible talent and there is amazing creativity on his lines (that transfer across the banked walls!), but if he had ridden it on a BMX or even a 24″ dirt/street bike I doubt there would have been as much fuss. The film maker needs to give himself a big pat on the back too – clever editing to set it up as a trials piece before the tailwhips appear, the reaction of the public etc. It’s nice work all round.

For more BMX balance, one of the best recent sections I have seen: Garrett Reynolds

BMX vs MTB? These lads could probably tail whip a sideboard on casters down a flight of stairs they have so much talent.

scuttler

BBC news website frontpage as of 1337 on 22nd April – clicky. Can’t be arsed screen capturing it so check it whilst it’s hot. Sure beats the budget…

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

LOL – good to see it get there, good to hear a few words from him too.

coffeeking
    Free Member

torso – while the lines do blur I’m not sure it’s BMX on a trials bike, its certainly borrowed some content but from my seat its definitely different. From my point of view it seems to be lots of normal trials style stuff with some BMX thrown in to liven up the bits between. Funny how peoples perception can be different! What reinforced my thought process is that if you read about him online it seems as though he has been following the trials bent for a long while and dabbling in BMX. Ultimately it’s all playing on a bike in the street so im not sure how we define the two.

allyharp

Was on page 3 of the metro today too!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Was on page 3 of the metro today too!

Must all be a lie then! 🙂

MrAgreeable

To me that’s less impressive than getting the bike to go to odd places, riding things that you can’t even imagine getting a bike onto, hence trials “wins” for me.

In that case have a gander at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUxh_lghW9c

rogerthecat
    Free Member

I am amazed – showed it to my 10 & 11 year old lads and they were silent all the way through breakfast – now that is impressive.

Loved it all – good to see him wearing a lid.

votchy
    Free Member

His fame has grown into the mainstream, video clip of him on BBC homepage now

Northwind

I love it… It’s not just great riding, it’s a great video, professional editing, superb choice of tune… a perfect storm.

My favourite trick is the lifting barrier- rides up it, hops on the counterweight and makes the whole thing swing up then drops off it. It’s not showy or even all that impressive, but it’s just so simple and playful, great bit of imagination. I know most of the locations and some of the tricks just freak me out a bit.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

How cool is it that it’s on the front page of the BBC News site? Good work Danny – great pro-cycling PR!

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘The Danny MacAskill YouTube phenomena, best bit?’ is closed to new replies.