Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)
  • The creation museum
  • iolo
    Free Member

Darwin was wrong

[MOD EDIT: This is the original source the site above plagiarised and added adverts to, you might want to go here instead: https://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/things-i-learned-at-the-creation-museum ]

CountZero

Just as scary are all the ads that show up in that link!

funkmasterp

The fact that’s a real place fills me with equal parts amusement, awe and dread. It seems like an abandoned episode of Look Around You.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Scary.
    They used a picture of a lady in labour to portray suffering and sin, between an images of genocide and natural disaster.. nice

kimbers

I think what’s most depressing is that we have learnt so much about biology, genetics, physics, giving us technology that’s completely changed our lives
    We’ve discovered a species of humans that have contributed to our own genomes from DNA from a handful of ancient teeth and a toe bone.
    We’ve got mini computers in our pocket that can access all of human knowledge, we’ve got images of the universe as it was 15bn years ago….

There’s so much more amazing shit to be discovered…..

…..and people build museums to creationism 🙁

somafunk

Never actually met a genuine believer in creationism, kinda glad I haven’t as I guess I’d have to follow them about 24/7 whilst pointing my finger at them and shouting “you’re a **** idiot…..you’re a **** idiot…..you’re a **** idiot” in a typical football chant sort of style, I imagine it’d get tedious rather quickly.

DezB
    Free Member

Went through the pics with a 😯 until..

Skeletons read the Bible.

😆

GrahamS

You don’t need to go to America for this brand of bible literalism.

You can visit Noah’s Ark Zoo Farm in Bristol:
    http://www.noahsarkzoofarm.co.uk/pages/about-us/earth-history/

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’m all for free thought, but i would make this stuff punishable by death.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

gears_suck
    Free Member

If you build it, they will come.
    Plus, it gives you lot the opportunity to berate. Feel better about yourselves yet?

BigDummy
    Free Member

My girlfriend’s grandparents went to this place for their 70th wedding anniversary. They had a lovely time. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whats that 2 male lions created all the other lions.

lerk
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    You don’t need to go to America for this brand of bible literalism.

You can visit Noah’s Ark Zoo Farm in Bristol:
    http://www.noahsarkzoofarm.co.uk/pages/about-us/earth-history/

I genuinely despair for the future of humanity…

onehundredthidiot

I’m confused by the flood. What happened to water salinity? And how did the fish survive the change in salinity.

Oh and komodo dragons that’s a long old trek to Palestine.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Google Dr Dino. He has some wonderful talks on the subject. It is interesting to see how he builds his case. Very well done. It is a slick operation.

It is a odd world with preachers claiming to “cure” gays etc. Similar slick arguments to the flat world people that to someone who is not critical thinking minded seems feesable. Much like brexit.

rene59
    Free Member

There’s good money to be made out of the ignorant and stupid. About time this sort of shite was outlawed.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Oh and komodo dragons that’s a long old trek to Palestine.

Duh…It’s not rocket creationism to work out that before the flood the world was a paradise and thus all animals were everywhere. They only became stranded in certain continent or islands after they were dropped off by Noah on various mountains which first started to reappear as the floods subsided. The world was a different place before the flood. Dinosaurs were wearing white trainers so didn’t get past the bouncers.

kimbers

Plus, it gives you lot the opportunity to berate. Feel better about yourselves yet?

No still worried how people can be so easily led to believe obvious bollox

phil40
    Free Member

I worked with a creationist once. He was a nice chap. The thing I couldn’t reconcile was that he was a teacher of Geology!

CountZero

Connected to this, a Young-earth creationist is suing the Grand Canyon for religious discrimination, because they won’t allow him to remove rock samples that he says he needs to prove that the canyon is proof of sediment laid down by Noah’s flood, while the Canyon authorities will only allow samples to be used for geological research.
    I shit you not!
    https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/05/grand-canyon-creationism/526467/

funkmasterp

How can anybody argue with evidence like this?

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4yBvvGi_2A[/video]

goldfish24

It’s sad that someone can take suffering and pain (see photos in theDTs post) as proof of the existence of god…. that’s just miserable!

Klunk
    Free Member

butcher

The explanation for how animals ended up on different continents is that they used logs from trees knocked down by the great flood as rafts.

WTF?! Surely the people making this shit up know that this shit isn’t real?

I can fully understand people following their ‘faith’, believing in higher beings, divine powers, and all the rest of it. But seriously… A whole plethora of animals crossed great oceans on rafts ready made by some flood? They just aimlessly floated across on a couple of logs for weeks on end without food and water?

Sounds legit.

TheDTs
    Free Member

@ GrahamS, I refuse to go there, the kids have been but I will not.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Kimbers[quote]No still worried how people can be so easily led to believe obvious bollox [/quote]
    I’m sure they neither require nor appreciate your heartfelt concern.
    Move along hater.

nickc

Surely the people making this shit up know that this shit isn’t real?

ah, well, there are examples where “oceanic dispersal” have probably happened. It’s theorised that the common ancestor of Lemur got to Madagascar in this way some 50mya when it was closer to the African continent. There are quite a few examples of it.

So, take a theory, bend it to serve your own needs, while at the same time point at scientists who say (more or less) the same thing…

SaxonRider

I genuinely despair for the future of humanity…

Really? Some tiny minority of fundamentalists makes you despair for the future of humanity?

What I find especially bizarre about these kinds of places, is that people in the mainstream of Christianity never even hear about them except when they appear on STW threads.

🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

so the mainstream of Christianity dont believe the bible then?

is their a version that says which bits are true and false then ?

TheBrick
    Free Member

About time this sort of shite was outlawed

No. Outlawing faith in something is the worst thing you can do. Challenge it, show that there is not necessary a conflict with their entire core faith in God. Making a point of faith illigal just causes people to “dig in”.

kayla1
    Free Member

Whats that 2 male lions created all the other lions.

😆

But yes, religion is bollocks.

nickc

mainstream of Christianity

Yeah me too, and I’m not even Xtian, but then creationism isn’t mainstream and unless you go looking for something you’re not going to come across it are you? There are also branches of Christian faith that think homosexuality as a sin, that needs ‘curing’. Just because your faith doesn’t “see” something doesn’t mean its not going on, or more importantly, needs challenging

GrahamS

creationism isn’t mainstream …There are also branches of Christian faith that think homosexuality as a sin, that needs ‘curing’.

Fairly obvious that these are not the views of the majority of moderate Christians in the UK.

So yeah not “mainstream” in that regard, but mainstream enough for the Vice President of the US to have those views!

swanny853

They used a picture of a lady in labour to portray suffering and sin

I think I remember reading somewhere that it’s the fact childbirth is potentially so painful and dangerous is suffering and the consequence of sin, and not the way it was supposed to be, rather than childbirth itself. Which is, I suppose, a better way of looking at it.

GrahamS

How does that work for other mammals that face painful and dangerous childbirth?

Is God punishing them for our mistakes too?
    Seems a bit of a dick move!

edlong
    Free Member

so the mainstream of Christianity dont believe the bible then?

is their a version that says which bits are true and false then ?

Many (probably most?) Christians don’t look at the Bible in those terms, and nor was much of it written to be viewed in those terms. So it’s not about whether something is necessarily “true or false” in the sense that you look at a news report and decide whether it’s reporting objective fact or is “fake news” – it’s a religious text, it’s about sprituality and morality, not a Haynes Manual for a planet or a species.

So for many Christians the question doesn’t arise in the way you’ve formed it. To take one example, that stuff about the death and resurrection of Christ is not really at its core about a David Copperfield style corpse resuscitation trick is it?

You can “believe the Bible” in the sense that you recognise a higher power, feel their love, conform to the outlook on the world that comes with it, without having to calculate all the “begats” and assert that the planet can only be a few thousand years old.

If people in Biblical times approached it all in the way this debate is now framed, there would have been hecklers when Jesus preached, asking for the name of the Samaritan, their hospital records, CCTV footage of the robbery and the others passing by and not helping. I.e. completely missing the point of the story.

I’m a 100% atheist, but I’m not arrogant enough to assert that everyone with religious faith is a blind idiot. The ones that miss the whole point and get tied up in knots about fossil records though, they are blind idiots imho.

Junkyard
    Free Member

My basic point is very few christians actually think the book is completely true and often ignore the actual clear teachings of the book so why on earth should i believe any of it when they do not even believe all of it ?

Its a strange position to be in as added to the no proof of god problem is the ah which bits of the word of god are true then problem.

nor was much of it written to be viewed in those terms.

evidence for this claim?

I.e. completely missing the point of the story.

so the point of the story is not whether it is true then? I also think your account is false. if i declared a miracle folk would ask for proof. this is not unreasonable. If I said i jumped three double deckers on my bike will you take the message that I am rad or question the veracity of this statement? Asking fir evidence is not like heckling someone

I’m not arrogant enough to assert that everyone with religious faith is a blind idiot.

of course they are not but they are all wrong and incapable of having a rational position on whether the bible is true false, fable, allegory, creationism evolution as they end up in an irrational contradiction.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Since it’s a collection of writings by different authors over many centuries, why would it fit neatly into one of those categories?

tjagain

IME there are two ways “christians” look at the bible – one as a series of allegories / parables / stories and the other for the evangelicals of 100% absolutly ture.

the former I have no issue with, the latter leads you into all sorts of nasty places

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘The creation museum’ is closed to new replies.