Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The Cotic Soul + Tubeless Love In
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

I’m a Soul fanboy – but last night it went to another level.

I fitted a set of Hope Hoops on Crest rims, running fully tubeless with Schwalbe R.Ralphs, and the difference was a revelation.

Not only does the bike feel silly light for a steel frame, the front end now feels so light (Reba SL 120’s, Maxle) that im able to flick it about and avoid tricky little obstacles without virtually any effort.

Also, the trail suddenly gives so much feedback that im instantly getting more confidence on grip levels.
    Not to mention more feeling when grip is about to give on steep climbs.

In all, I was honestly startled how different the bike felt from something I was already very pleased with, it felt like I was cheating last night.

I have run tubeless before on Mavic rims with cheaper hubs using a conversion kit, and really enjoyed the difference despite the faff in getting to grips with inflation – so im not sure if how much of the improvement comes from the new Stans rims alone, but either way – im not looking back.

Tubeless Souls absolutely rock.

vorlich
    Free Member

I switched to tubeless on my Soul last weekend. There did seem to be a marginal improvement in rolling resistance, can’t say I noticed any huge grip improvement, but I was probably running a little bit higher PSI than usual, will be letting more out to see how low I can go. The front wheel did wash out on me [probably due in part to rider error as much as anything], resulting in a comedy dismount.

Can’t claim it as a revelation for me just yet, more experimentation required.

mattjg
    Free Member

I run same but with RoRos (160mm rotor), someone picked up my front wheel and said “that’s cheating” then they heft the frame and say “wow light for a steel bike”.

It’s a lot of fun to ride.

Scamper
    Free Member

To widen another Soul love-in thread a little, the other night I swapped QR Reba 120’s for Revelation 140 20mm maxle. Nowthatwas cheating was my conclusion. Night and day difference.

titusrider
    Free Member

i will just ref my previous Simple love in thread

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/thank-you-cy-cotic-simple-content

not tried tubless yet though..

slimjim78
    Free Member

The front wheel did wash out on me

same happened to me on a hairpin bend, not enough air pressure and soft sidewalls (non UST tyres) to blame on my part.

im going to switch to tubless ready schwalbe’s and hopefully the extra weight won’t alter the feel too much

slimjim78
    Free Member

not tried tubless yet though..

I wholeheartedly recommend. combined with a lightweight tyre, it felt like a brand new bike all over again

mattjg
    Free Member

im goign to switch to tubless ready schwalbe’s

Let us know how you get on please, I’ve read the TLRs can be hard to get on a Crest.

I get washout but I put that down to the tyres being fairly fast (lightly treaded) and I ride them in all conditions.

I run my RoRos about 20ish psi front, 25ish back. The back feels squidgy with less.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Can’t claim it as a revelation for me just yet, more experimentation required.

as I mentioned I have run tubelss on the Soul before but with a conversion kit.
    Im wondering if the lack of rubber rim strip and lighter rim (Crest) has contributed most to the silly light feel?

It certainly didnt feel heavy before, but its borderline too light now. Front just flicks up in the air with very little input.

lovely.

honourablegeorge

I have a Soul with a 140 fork, and tubeless crests. I can concur with all the above, it’s GREAT

slimjim78
    Free Member

Let us know how you get on please

sure.
    I would keep the non UST Ralphs on but being a heavy rider I have to put too much air in them to make them work at high speed.

vorlich
    Free Member

I suppose I should mention, I’m running a Super Tacky High Roller out front with a 130mm coil Vanilla and a 2.0 MudX on back on Pro II Evo/Stans Flow. Weight feels OK, hope to lighten the front a little when my 120 TALAS arrives at some point this week.

mattjg
    Free Member

for balance, I enjoy my Soul but other steel HTs are available and no doubt just as much fun to ride 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

been running tubeless on my soul for 3 years. can’t say it made any difference to tubes at all.

Haze

Just picked my Simple up from the powder coaters this morning.

This time next week it’ll be introduced to a carbon fork 🙂

(there was a huge difference switching to tubeless, though this could have been the previous tyres being shagged)

slimjim78
    Free Member

other steel HTs are available and no doubt just as much fun to ride

i’ve ridden about a dozen other steel hardtails, I love steel. but i’ve never found a more complete hardtail.
    im certainly biased though, orange is my fave colour.

I like to change my kit as much as the next fickle MTBer.. when I stop on the trail and look down at my bike, I honestly think to myself ”I couldn’t ask for more”

mattjg
    Free Member

it’s nice to meet a happy man, good on ‘ya

slimjim78
    Free Member

Just picked my Simple up from the powder coaters this morning.

I bought and sold a Simple frame recently without the chance to try it out (cash flow issues), gutted really. I love my 853 Inbred S/S, but if the Simple is as good as the Soul (no reason it shouldnt be), then im sure it would have abeen a blast too

peter77
    Free Member

I am feeling the love. My next frame is looking more and more like a Soul. 8)

AntLockyer
    Free Member

I love my tubeless setup, same wheels as you but with the sticky nevegal and blue groove. Run mid 20s and it sticks to everything.

Would like to try something lighter with less rolling resistance though, racing Ralphs might be the ones.

vorlich
    Free Member

Further to my last post, I went down to Glentress today and was absolutely Godlike [by my own standards]. 😀

Huge grip but able to break the rear free on demand. My local trails are more XC, less gravity oriented than Glentress. But tubeless just felt, right. Can’t quite put my finger on it…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well this looks like a done deal then given this thread and the one I started a couple of days ago after the pain of trying to replace tubes on my Stans – conversion to tubeless it is then.

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Recent conversion to soul from aluminium HT = happy camper. Then a switch to Flow rims with LUST maxxis options for dead easy changing and lower pressures =VERY happy camper! Corrugated downhills at speed are now so much smoother thanks initially to frame but added to with tyre change….grip noticeably better with the lower pressures and again takes the edge off the rough stuff….much appreciated by an ageing derrière spine and wrists!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘The Cotic Soul + Tubeless Love In’ is closed to new replies.