Viewing 24 posts - 121 through 144 (of 144 total)
  • The cost or family holidays in term time…
  • Kryton57

deadlydarcy – Member
    Yeah, it’s a pain in the arse. Someone was only asking earlier what not to miss in Skye – like there isn’t a wealth of information out there already instead of wasting folks’ time on an internet forum.

Is your inference here that for example, I should have used Google to find a local floor fitter I knew nothing of, rather than posting on a forum and receiving high praise recommendation from many for a chap that ended up doing a really good job?

Sometimes posting on internet forums can tap into a wealth of personal knowledge and experience that isn’t based on marketing and sales.

Lets also remember my OP wasn’t an ask, it was a demi-rant.

Kryton57

iolo – Member
    Kryton57 – Member
    A holiday in Benidorm is not the “Jaguar” of holidays though is it.

Has Benidorm moved country?
    Has it departed Alicante and gone to the Algarve?
    Maybe you’ve been charged 3k is because they need to cover the rebuilding cost.

No idea what you are bleating about iolo.

john_drummer
    Free Member

1) holidays in the sun are a luxury, not a human right
    2) like all luxuries, they cost money and are subject to the rules of supply & demand – when demand is higher and supply is a constant, the price goes up
    3) you knew the rules of parent club when you joined. one of those rules is that holidays should be taken during the school holidays if the offspring are of school age. See also point #2

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fr0sty125
    Free Member

I can tell you where you went very very wrong Kryton57….

It was to have ******* kids!

On a helpful note a place like Sunparks might be worth looking at.

molgrips
    Free Member

Apparently in term time it is!

mattbee

Having popped over to Benidorm whilst staying near Ailicante last week, I can safely say I don’t think I would ever go there with kids. It seemed to be populated exclusively by drunks and old people on mobility scooters.

As for the whole kids hols and term time thing, as a child free couple we have a hard enough time finding somewhere nice and quiet to go when those of you with children have holidays, like eh whole of the bloody summer, Easter BH etc… Damn right you should pay more for it, they are usually the best times to go on holiday weather wise!
    It’s nice to have at least a few times a year when your offspring are safely locked away in school.

Edukator
    Free Member

For less than three grand you can buy bikes and camping kit for all the family, cycle to the port, take a boat to Holland and Germany, and stay in mini-camping. You’ll just get upset tummies and sun burnt in Portugal.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol@Educator

jon1973
    Free Member

More of a Vauxhall Cavalier.

oldgit
    Free Member

I have notice last minute deals are going at half price-ish, so maybe we’ll book the time off work, hope for the best last minute booking we can get and if nothing comes up do something else…

Done this a lot and we’ve always come up trumps. We were once told that last minute deals are used to fill up flights and the better hotels?. The best was £150 each for ten days half board in Menorca and all travel. The worst was one that cost about £600 for the four of us to Malta, the rooms didn’t have air con…****ing liberty.
    To go so cheap you have to book the time and be prepared to go anywhere at the very last minute, or spend a fortnight in a soggy Peaks campsite if it goes Pete Tong. It did once so we stayed in the inlaws static caravan in Bridlington for free and had one of our best holidays. The kids have grown up and have their own kids, but still want to go to Brid every year 😉

konabunny
    Free Member

Kryton57 I’m fairly sure he was insulting you and not your kids 😀

Spot on 😀

Jason
    Free Member

I’ve not booked this type of Holiday before – whens the best time to do so with 2015 in mind?

Thomson and Thomas Cook normally release their following year holidays in April/May. We (4 of us) went for 2 weeks to a 5* All-Inc in Turkey last year for £3k, I booked it early summer 2012. Nearer the time the price rose to about £4.5k. If you book early there are usually free child places available, together with more choice of flights. Off to Eygpt this year on a similar holiday for a similar price.

BigJohn

Strange how one person’s dream holiday is another person’s idea of 2 weeks in purgatory.

iolo
    Free Member

No idea what you are bleating about iolo.

I’m merely since when did Benidorm become part of Portugal? You complain about a 3k holiday in Portugal and then start talikg about Benidorm.

aracer
    Free Member

More of a Vauxhall Cavalier.
    [/quote]

Citroen Saxo, shirley?

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Something should indeed be done about the cost of family holidays in the actual school holidays.

I want to go on holiday when there are few, if any, kids around. If the holidays stay this expensive in the holidays, parents will continue to take their kids out of school to go on holiday, and therefore, at the times that I want to go on a peaceful, kid free one!

john_drummer
    Free Member

fair point there.

of course, you could choose to go somewhere less attractive to families. I recommend the Canadian Rockies 🙂 it’s very nice there

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences

However, I will contribute to this thread. Some of the most enjoyable holidays I’ve had with my wife and kids have been those Sun holiday promotions for caravan parks…dire cheap and outside term time too 😀

[edit] – why does I N R A T S automagically change to “I struggle with long sentences?” Cheeky STW web monkeys 😆

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m sharing a nice villa with a pool in a village in a quiet bit of Spain about 5 mins from the beach, 1 week middle of August £1200 quid for 4 of us all in including car hire. Don’t fly at weekends, share the cost of a big villa, choose somewhere less travelled and it’s easy to save a bundle.

johndoh
    Free Member

Well, it’s just cost me £4,100 for two weeks in Ibiza. All inclusive 3 Star (but 4.5/5 Trip Adviser rating) in August.

I couldn’t care less, it’s our kids first proper summer sun holiday and they will be 5 when we go.

And they do international beers and spirits in the All In deal. 8)

MrSmith
    Free Member

it’s not just because of schools summer holidays that prices go up in the summer, i have studied many graphs and charts and pored over the data and realised it’s lovely weather that is a significant factor.

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s not just the Brits that go on holiday, Germans are the most numerous holiday makers in many destinations, apart from the fact there are over 80 million of them they have good reason to go:

aracer
    Free Member

Pah, I see your Leipzig and raise you:

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s the sunshine figure for Manchester that’s depressing, only 1071 hours. That’s 800 hours less that the not especially sunny corner of France I live in.

Viewing 24 posts - 121 through 144 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘The cost or family holidays in term time…’ is closed to new replies.