Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The coolest vid ever?
  • Pauly

This is amazing. All you photographers will love this.
    Bathtub IV

bassspine
    Free Member

The best tilt-shift video I’ve seen, cheers!

GrahamS

Great video that.

It was posted before in this thread:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/tiltshift-movies

Surfr
    Free Member

I’ve got an HD version of this downloaded somewhere. One of my favourite timelaps vids.

Keep wanting to do some myself but can’t afford a timed shutter. Anyone know of a schematic for a homebuild? can’t be much more than a 555 timer (remembers something from GCSE CDT)

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

stunning.

eldridge
    Free Member

That was so awful I don’t know where to begin!

Tiltshift is utter amateur video cheese – why TF would you want decent video footage to be subjected to that treatment?

The work of coastal SAR teams is deadly serious – why on earth would anyone want to make a Lego version of it in the hope of making it more serious?

And as for lazily choosing your favourite vaguely-relevant music track, and then bunging it on irrespective of copyright issues and actual relevance?

This video demeans, trivialises and devalues the real heroism of the SAR people

marsdenman
    Free Member

did you read the supporting text at all – including the bit with the link to make donations to the SAR team that helped ‘in the making of’………………..

Pauly

[quoteThis is a personal project that would not have been possible without the support of the Westpac Rescue Helicopter Service. Thanks to the entire team for their generous access during training exercises and patrols this Summer. Since the Service began in 1973, it has carried out more than 21,000 missions ranging from urgent patient transfers to dangerous search and rescue missions.

The Service depends entirely on the generous support of sponsors and the community to stay flying. Donations can be made here:
    lifesaver.org.au/funding_challenge/donate.html

This film is 100% ‘real’, but there are some new techniques for me here, such as using time lapse to create the illusion of forward movement for the helicopter ocean scenes. These flight sequences would not be possible without the skill and patience of Chief Pilot Peter Yates. Thanks also to Trevor Cracknell (for getting wet!) and Family.

Music:

“CLEMENTINE” (Megan Washington)
    Performed by Washington
    © 2008 J Albert & Son Pty Limited
    Used with permission

myspace.com/meganwashington
    [/quote]

Excuse the cut and paste from the Vimeo page that the video is on. Having had personal experience of carrying a friend into an air ambulance after a 70mph motorbike accident I’m not going to trivialise the good work any emergency service provides.
    Also, when I lived in Oz and surfed a lot, I appreciated the specific service the SAR heli guys provided in spotting sharks and warning us where they were.

Relax, take a deep breath, and enjoy your weekend.

GrahamS

eldridge, since this is the second thread full of people proclaiming this video as brilliant and stunning I’m not sure how you can dismiss it as “amateur cheese”. Clearly people like it and it’s making an impact.

And it doesn’t trivialize anything IMO.

eldridge
    Free Member

Hi Pauly

Thanks – I read all that on the original post

I do not doubt your sincere wish to pay tribute to the amazing work of SAR services. I just think the video treatment is artistically misguided. The use of video gimmicks (like tiltshift) detracts from the seriousness of the message. Making the SAR helo look like a demented wasp waiting to be hit with a rolled-up newspaper does not in any way add dignity or drama to its mission.

And FYI, I have the ability to handle complicated ideas without the need for relaxation and breathing exercises – it’s called “being intelligent and well-educated”! 😉

grizzlygus
    Free Member

I thought it was crap.

Pauly

Well you obviously didn’t use that massive intelligence to move your eyes from left to right, and take in the information on his Vimeo page. You know, the bit you missed in your anger, about using the music with permission…

😉

eldridge
    Free Member

Hi Pauly

Yes you are right – I missed that bit and I apologise for implying that copyright was not properly obtained.

Sorry if you felt my response was motivated by anger.

Where I come from, you can say that you absolutely, completely and totally disagree with someone, without actually being angry with them.

I hope you will accept that complete disagreement is not the same as anger.

I still hold to the view that the video treatment of this subject, including the soundtrack, is utterly inappropriate and amateurish.

But I’m really, really not angry about it 🙂

GrahamS

Have you considered that the “minatures” effect is part of the message?
    Showing us as toys and insignificant specks illustrates the power that nature has over us and emphasises the skill and bravery of the SAR team.

I found the whole video quite touching, especially at the end when he is reunited with his family.

I don’t think a typical, gritty docu-footage approach would have been nearly as emotive, as it would have felt too samey and movie-like.

Pauly

Maybe anger was a bit strong, but you were annoyed.
    I thought it was a great vid. Loved the style, and had missed it the first time someone posted it. I appreciate that the SAR teams do a sterling job, and I appreciate your opinion.
    Think of the extra publicity this particular emergency service will receive thanks to this vid; remember the old maxim, “there’s no such thing as bad publicity”, and enjoy the fact that we’ve both contributed to it!

Anyway, just finished building my new bike, and going to bed so I can get an early start on the trails tomorrow.

Good night.

eldridge
    Free Member

This is turning into what Americans would refer to as “Fimmaking 101”!

If you want to “emphasise the skill and bravery of the SAR team” you don’t film them using the same techniques that “show us as toys and insignificant specks”, because that way the SAR teams end up looking like toys and insignificant specks! LOL

GrahamS

Well yes, that would be the idea.

You end up rooting for those little guys as they bimble about and rescue another toy from the enormous bathtub he’s stuck in. They are toys just like him and just as vulnerable – that shows their bravery. Showing them as full-size gods who can just reach in and pluck him out wouldn’t get that message across and would be ignoring their courage.

Beautiful story, simply told with great empathy: anyone watching it would worry for the guy in trouble, cheer the rescuers and go awwwh when he hugs his family.

Isn’t good filmmaking about drawing in an audience and getting them to empathise with the characters? Or did you not get to that class yet?

Maybe you should have stuck around for class 102?

eldridge
    Free Member

Hi GrahamS

I know this is a bit late, but FGS the guy who gets washed off the rocks is a complete moron. Huge waves are washing across the shelf he is standing on and by some freak of good luck it’s several minutes before he’s knocked into the sea – minutes which he should have used to work out that where he was standing wasn’t safe and he shouldn’t be there. He wasn’t plucked off the land by a freak wave – you can see, even in the distorted tiltshift view, that several similar waves had already passed over that rock shelf. He was an idiot who put other people’s lives at risk to get him rescued

To suggest that the supremely competent, well-equipped, well-trained, brave SAR people are

toys just like him and just as vulnerable

is utter rubbish. Their skill, experience, training and courage make them utterly different from him, most notably in their assessment and acceptance of risk

Back to film-making 101 I’m afraid – the duty to make it clear to your audience which characters deserve your empathy, and which don’t

aracer
    Free Member

I know this is a bit late, but FGS the guy who gets washed off the rocks is a complete moron. Huge waves are washing across the shelf he is standing on and by some freak of good luck it’s several minutes before he’s knocked into the sea – minutes which he should have used to work out that where he was standing wasn’t safe and he shouldn’t be there. He wasn’t plucked off the land by a freak wave – you can see, even in the distorted tiltshift view, that several similar waves had already passed over that rock shelf. He was an idiot who put other people’s lives at risk to get him rescued

You seem still not to have got around to reading the supporting text “Thanks also to Trevor Cracknell (for getting wet!)”. Obviously I’m not a pro like you, so don’t appreciate all the techy things he’s done wrong – to me it’s just a very nice vid, with a soundtrack which seems to me to go just fine. And yes it does make me think what a good job the SAR guys do, so there!

GrahamS

Yep, obviously showing someone getting washed off the rocks (a pretty typical situation that they have to deal with) is a bit daft. They should have had like a plane full of people crash into an exploding oil rig or something. Tsk amateurs eh? They should have got Michael Bay to do it.

To suggest that the supremely competent, well-equipped, well-trained, brave SAR people are

toys just like him and just as vulnerable

is utter rubbish.

Oh right. So they aren’t like him. They are in fact completely invulnerable and never in any danger at all when they do their jobs. Well I’ve got right off them now. They’re not deserving of my charity at all, the smug superhero gits. 🙄

Tell you what eldridge, why don’t YOU make your own short film about SAR. And if YOU get over 563,000 views, 2,508 likes and 228 positive comments in the space of just two months then you can explain why yours was better.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘The coolest vid ever?’ is closed to new replies.