Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • The Confessional – Mechanical mistakes
  • wiggles
    Free Member

Routed my warranty replacement reverb hose all the way through the holes in the frame without putting any of the grommets on first…

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Chain through the rear jockey wheels incorrectly. Worked but made a bit of a grinding noise. Sadly, it took me about half an hour to figure out what I had done wrong.

mintimperial

I just discovered yesterday that I’ve been doing sus fork lowers services wrong for ages. I omitted to compress the forks fully when reassembling, so there was loads of air stuck in the lowers, which was really buggering up the action. I was completely flummoxed as to what was wrong for ages. Fortunately I’ve only done this to my own forks so it’s not the end of the world, but still: I’m an idiot. 😕

epicyclo

mintimperial – Member
    …but still: I’m an idiot.

We’re all idiots. The smart ones are those who manage to hide it. 🙂

Sandwich

I once watched a riding mate reassemble a broken chain with a shimano joiner putting an extra loop into it. Oh how we laughed.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Forgot to fit a bleed block whilst changing the fluid in some elixirs. Pumped the lever, wondered what was going on, and promptly fired the piston across the garage

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I once opened a pair of DT Swiss forks up but forgot about to let the air out. Que the cartridge embedding itself in the garage ceiling. Luckily there was no damage as the owner of said forks is a STWer anday still own those forks. 🙂
    Had an Alfine hub roll of the bench and bend the flange. Rescued that…..
    Forgot to tighten some HT2 NDS crank. New LH crank bought……

To be honest, so far, nothing I’ve done is a patch on the what I’ve seen others do.
    Touch wood!

twonks

Bought the OH a Scott CR1 frame and fork set from the PSA a couple of months ago.

Measured the fork steerer twice just to be sure. Cut and then remembered I hadn’t included the stem in the measurement. 😆

Lots of swearing and £190 extra later I did it the correct way.

timba
    Free Member

Somehow crossed my gear cables under the downtube and spent far too long wondering why my newly purchased “rear” cable was too short

First ever Aheadset, undid the top cap bolt (but not the other two) and couldn’t get the stem to loosen off. Still in oldskool mode

The list is endless…

julianwilson
    Free Member

Tyres/tubes for me.
    Rebuilt a wheel on my commuter with the nipples in a pot of old fork oil (this in itself is not a bad thing) but needed for work the next day, quick wipe down, rim tape on and tyre up. A week later the oil from the nipples has soaked through the cloth (velox) rin tape and perished the innter tube in a pretty spoke hole pattern all the way round the tube. Of course i did not realise this until the front unexpectedly flatted at 40mph down a 13% hill with traffic lights/queue at the bottom. 😯

Also on another wheel, using slightly too narrow plastic rim tape in road wheels means no matter how hard i tried to line it up righ there would always be a flat tyre by the next morning as tape slips over and 100psi tube nips itself on the edge of a spoke hole. Even glue doesn’t work.

Many years ago i torqued up an old octalink crank to stupidly tight trying to fix a creak that was actually the bottom bracket failing. Did it so tigh the threads stripped when i tried to remove it with a crank puller: had to dremel it off but did prompt purchase my first set of ht2 cranks which are still going and still great.

larkim
    Free Member

Son wore stripped the threads from crank arms on unicycle; realised later that we’d fitted the seat backwards, so every pedal stroke was unwinding the pedals.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘The Confessional – Mechanical mistakes’ is closed to new replies.