Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The clear tubing for the infamous ghetto tyre inflator. Where from?
  • Poopscoop

That 5mm (I think?) ID tubing for the inflator?
    What is it usually used for as I want to get some from Homebase/ Halfords tomorrow?

Sorry, no doubt been asked a million times…

thejesmonddingo

Halfords windscreen washer tubing,might be 4.5mm.

km79
    Free Member

Aquarium/pond tubing for airlines etc will do just fine. Most pet/garden stores will have it.

aracer
    Free Member

Homebase probably stocks something – fairly sure that’s where mine was from. Just in the “cut to length” section

Poopscoop

Great, thanks guys!

Going tubeless for first time…. What could possibly go wrong?! 😀

km79
    Free Member

What could possibly go wrong?!

jakd95
    Free Member

Fairly sure I got mine for one of those Ye Olde hardware shops that sell string, watering cans and individual nails. Someone charged me about 40p ford a yard cut off a massive dusty roll.

vincienup
    Free Member

Another one here for screen wash hosing.

Poopscoop

Like the burning tyres! Lol

Yeah, the wind screen washer tube looks gettable from Halfords.

Only trouble is the 2 presta valves I have don’t have a removable core…. I wonder if the inner cow can just be drilled out of it?
    Not like it needs to go back in or anything.

AlasdairMc

The Presta valves need to be threaded on the inside to fit a valve into. Use Schwalbe tubes for ghetto as they have removable cores

Poopscoop

Only need one with removable valve as it’s for the coke bottle “compressor” bodge.

Just broke the valve on a cheap presta tube and it does indeed just fall out so that one can be used to go from the coke bottle to the tubeless wheel.

I think. 😀

boxelder

Have you not got a track pump. No need for DIY inflators. Keep your ears away from the tyres – it can be a very loud bang…..

zerolight
    Free Member

Agree with boxelder. No need for these crazy inflators. Simple track pump – I use a Topeak Joe Blow. Inflated tubeless on Mavic 19mm ID and DTSwiss 25mm ID rims in seconds.

ajantom

I just asked the science dept technicians at my school and they supplied me with a variety of diameters 😉

To those saying track pumps – yes, but sometimes you just need a little bit more oomph for some tyres. The Coke bottle inflator works well on recalcitrant tyres.

docgeoffyjones

I got my tube from an aquatics shop i think it is 5mm as i also used some to bleed old hope brakes.
    I used to Schrader valves as poundland was selling 20″ tubes for….you guessed it.
    Make sure the pump you are using has a working pressure gauge. I find about 70psi is enough to get the tyre seated.
    I keep the cap but throw away the bottle each time after I done.

ajantom

I keep the cap but throw away the bottle each time after I done.

Really? I’ve been using the same bottle for 2 years now!
    Pop bottles are generally rated to 150psi + so putting in 50-60psi to inflate a tyre should be fine for ages. I just make sure to angle the cap away from my face in case the threads give way.

docgeoffyjones

Really? I’ve been using the same bottle for 2 years now!
    Pop bottles are generally rated to 150psi + so putting in 50-60psi to inflate a tyre should be fine for ages. I just make sure to angle the cap away from my face in case the threads give way.

Pop bottles are generally only pressurised once. It will be the number of times you cycle the pressure from low to high that will determine the life of the bottle even if you are not going to the max rated pressure.
    I just think the risk is greater than the advantage

Poopscoop

Cheers for further info guys.

Yep, got a track pump but want to do the coke bottle thing just In case the tyres don’t want to play ball and just for the hell of it really! 🙂

ajantom

Pop bottles are generally only pressurised once. It will be the number of times you cycle the pressure from low to high that will determine the life of the bottle even if you are not going to the max rated pressure.
    I just think the risk is greater than the advantage

Yes, but they’re massively over engineered!
    Having done a water rocket challenge with a STEM club over a few years. We have repressurised bottles to 60-70psi probably 50 times or more per bottle. Not one has ever gone bang. And they’re getting some serious knocks and bangs as they hit the ground.
    I think you’re worrying too much!

Riksbar

I use the tube of an old ALDI/Lidl track pump on mine.

docgeoffyjones

I think you’re worrying too much!

maybe but i am not worried about all the bottles that never went bang I am thinking about the stories of ones that did.

CheesybeanZ

Wrap it in gaffer tape for extra peace of mind .

northernerindevon

+1 for wrapping in gaffer tape. I also put it under a heavy old towel when pressurising it as well.

Fun DIY with a hint of mild danger! Whats not to like?

aracer
    Free Member

I must have missed those – do you have a linky?

nuke

Has anyone had a bottle blow or is regular replacement of bottle/gaffer tape just precautionary?

Used the same pepsi bottle for couple of years now without failure although only ever needed to pump up to 40psi-ish

Cummins hardware for tube…although thats quite Dorking specific 😀

docgeoffyjones

I must have missed those – do you have a linky?

I’m sure it was one of the threads on here where someone had had it behind a shed door when it exploded.

Poopscoop

Got the bits now.

Will definitely gaffer tape it just in case.

Wonder how much pressure I need, 29″x 2.5 Minion? 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

Track pump is sufficient?

If you’re lucky

Poopscoop

All done, took it up to number 11…

Well, 80psi anyway. Works well but need to seal a small leak at the lid from one valve hole. 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘The clear tubing for the infamous ghetto tyre inflator. Where from?’ is closed to new replies.