Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • The Classified Forum lately.
  • Joe

I've been using STW to buy and sell for years now.

Since the new website went live though, i don't know if its people only using the site for classified or people who are new to the forum…

…but people are asking CRAZY money for stuff.

I remember on the old forum, that most ads had five or six replys to them. Only the busiest ads seem to attract that sort of response these days.

My favourite today was someone pushing unbranded cromo 4130 road bike with a mish mash of old bits and pieces for £600! Get real.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep. It's been commented on a lot recently. You're right. That's why a lot of threads never get replies and lots of stuff doesn't sell

HTTP404
    Free Member

you mean this?

must admit I blinked hard when I read it too. 😯

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i have noticed that over the past few weeks the classifieds have been "dropping off"

i used to have to keep checking to make sure my stuff was still on the front page but i seems to be fine there for a good 3-4 hours now

also a lot of silly price stuff. i tend to look at it as "iv had my fun with it now for some one else and i need the room"

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It has to be said though, that if you've got decent kit for sale at a realistic price, it sells instantly. All my stuff does anyway. 🙂

I've sold shedloads of stuff this year, including a car and 2 motorbikes!

slowrider
    Free Member

i know, ive seen stuff that lightly used or even new being sold at almost new prices, seems crazy to me. i was after a set of forks recently and despite the fact i could get a new pair of 2010 revelations with maxle for £315 pople were still asking £260-£275 for a pair of second hand pikes or revelations from the previous year.

some people seem to think that the 2nd hand value is somehow related to what they paid for it way back when, rather than pricing against what is available now. another example was a guy seling some stans rims on hope hubs. he was asking £250 the pair when winstanleys were doing them at £235. when i pointed this out he said 'i paid £350 4 months ago so they are worth at least £250'. i understand why he would be reluctant to lose so much cash but really, why would anyone even consider a deal like that.

i know people will say if you dont like the price, dont buy/haggle/whatever but the classifieds did used to be a great place for a bargain; cheap prices to avoid the hassle of ebay etc. doesnt seem that way so much these days.

yossarian
    Free Member

i've sold a frame and forks recently on the flids

What I've found is that far fewer people post up on the thread expressing interest but plenty email directly

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i think people should only be allowed to post a add on the classifieds after 3 months or 100 posts in the bike or chat forums (no trolling)

nbt

there are an awful lot more people now who use the site only on the classifieds – they don'#t participate in the bike or chat forums at all.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Also the amount of time wasters has risen a lot – I'm finding Ebay much better at the moment.

druidh
    Free Member

oneoneoneone – you have a point, but I suspect you would just get posts full of crap to make it up to 100 (no difference from normal I hear you say). For sure though, something needs to be done to weed out those that only use the Classifieds.

TJ started a thread t'other day about selling on here vs ebay and the consensus was that selling here was more "community-minded" in that it gave regulars a chance of a bargain. Folk like that linked to above are just taking the piss.

Drac

How about only Premier account holders can post in Classifieds?

lookmanohands
    Free Member

£40 for a used xt cassette, anyone…….. 😯

HTTP404
    Free Member

timewasters

Both from buyers and wanted ads.

And whether they've been on the forum a while makes no difference to whether they will mess you about.

thomthumb
    Free Member

pretty much given up with the classifieds – moves to quickly to be useful – full of too much overpriced tat and too many people who i've never heard of.

used to use it a lot but less so these days.

agree that something needs to be done.

nbt

Drac – Member

Hmm, maybe only they can *start* threads? anyone can reply. might have to be some heavy modding at first to stop thread drift / hijacking, lke "I'm selling one too, mine's cheaper"

grumm
    Free Member

Because that's only about 5 people? 😉

uplink
    Free Member

Drac – Member

I like that idea

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Drac – Member

I do actually. But it might not work. Maybe there's lots of genuine MTBers who ride and subscribe, but have no inclination or time to post in the chat forums?

vinnyeh

Can't tell anything from online responses or lack of- I put my ti456 up a couple of weeks back @£600- had 6 emails about it, ranging from dead keen to curious, but no online responses.

Apologies to the responders, I then bottled out of selling it 😳

vinnyeh

Why? How will that solve the (perceived by some only) 'problem'.

slowjo
    Free Member

I have sold a lot of kit on the classifieds recently and my first tries were on the high side (but not unrealistic). If you get no response then drop the price incrementally after a few days and eventually you will find the level at which people are prepared to buy. Sometimes things seem to fly off the page but a few months later they might stick forever.It is a bit hit and miss but that is the nature if the beast.

Premium members only doesn't really work for me but there again, I only sell stuff sporadically. It would just stay in my shed.

Talking about silly prices, I saw a second hand set of lights on another forum at about £5 maybe £10 under the internet price. Daft really, as mentioned before, you would be silly to buy them and as daft as a brush to expect to sell them at that price.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Prob depends on the time of the month, as to whether you'll get much interest i.e. how close pay day is / was.
    Well i do anyway.

soobalias
    Free Member

the trust is gone.

slowjo
    Free Member

the trust is gone.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement. Why?

I have never had a problem with anyone I have dealt with on here, whether it goes back to the old, old days or in the last month or so. I don't think I have ever caused anyone any problems and no one I have dealt with has caused me any problems. I tend to trust peeps off here and until there are some major scams, and they happen frequently, I don't see why I (or indeed anyone) should feel the community is no longer trustworthy. Just because some people are trying to get top dollar for their kit doesn't mean they are a crook, it just means they won't sell their stuff very quickly…. simples.

grumm
    Free Member

I've bought quite a bit of stuff and never had a problem with anyone – including some people who only ever post in classifieds. There are loads of posts on there now, some with silly prices, but it's not a major problem imo

njee20
    Free Member

There are still some bargains on there, like some brand new XXX Lite Carbon wheels for half retail 🙂

I do think the prices are often real bargains, but seem not to be any more, puts me off selling, as you can get far more elsewhere frankly!

slowjo
    Free Member

I know what you mean njee20 but it works both ways. If we are all happy moving kit around between us at reasonable prices then, when you want stuff you don't pay the earth. I'm happy to work that way but accept that others might not be.

njee20
    Free Member

I think the thing is the convenience, if you list stuff here you won't get as much for it, but it'll go quickly. I did list a load of stuff ages ago and got some really frankly ridiculous offers, from people who then get funny when you say 'no I'd rather not thanks'.

Bloody tight-fisted Northerners 🙂

(runs for cover…)

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I get amazed at people moaning about the price of bike kit not just being sold on here but from their LBS, off ebay, etc, etc.If its too expensive for you DON'T BUY IT or drop the seller an email and make an offer they can only say no. I sold a Exposure Joystick recently which was less than a couple of months old and used once, it cost me just short of £150 I'm not going to sell it for £80 for the sake of moving it on because I think I should be a soft touch on STW. A member dropped me an email a couple of days later and we had a bit of a deal and the buyer saved himself £50. both parties happy.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes that's my tack, I advertise a reasonable price, but I'm always amenable to offers, you may as well ask, but I see no point in getting offended if the buyer doesn't want to sell!

oldgit
    Free Member

Used = 1/2 prce maximum

nicko74

So are we suggesting that the board is being flooded* (perhaps too strong a word) by people just trying to sell stuff on the classifieds, and that it's not so much people we know any more?
    I'm not sure about making it only open to Premier members – it could see a lot of traffic shift elsewhere, like bm – but there's some potential value in a 'only established members' idea. If nothing else, it perhaps offers a bit more piece of mind when you buy a £600 frame/ fork combo from someone, I guess.
    Don't forget, of course, that the price of new parts and bikes has gone through the roof, relative to our frame of reference – I remember the days when you could get a Spesh Stumpy FSR for £1200 new, and an XT cassette for something less than £35 new!

Joe

I'm with Oldgit here. Maybe we are getting middle aged oldgit. I won't pay more than 50% for anything second hand in the bike stakes. Even if its still boxed i wouldnt normally try more than 75%.
    This isn't photography gear which lasts forever.

Its incredible when you go into the BIG CLEAROUT threads how much overpriced tat there is. Part worn cassettes, chains, mangy old QR's all of which people want money for.

Very silly. Its a shame because STW used to be an excellent place to buy and sell.

Joe

as i posted that:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-2010-fox-rp23-boost-valve-rear-air-shock-190×50-from-orange-5-280-posted

Get over yourself. Not in a thousand fridays. They are only about £290 new. Absurd.

I love the way everything in the forum is 'a couple rides old' as well like people are trying to justify that you're getting a new piece of kit.

ransos
    Free Member

Well, I put my Pace RC41s up for sale, and got only one response. I thought that £175 was very reasonable, considering their condition and exorbitant price when new.

It's not worth giving stuff away – I'd rather keep it for spares.

njee20
    Free Member

A number of fora I've seen have a 30 forum post criteria before you can post in classifieds, it may not filter people out totally, but people who just want to add something for a quick sale and leave aren't likely to spend the time, even trolling, to get 30 posts on the forum.

MTT
    Free Member

I think the Classifieds should be off limits for 3 months after you have signed up, it's populated by people who's only contribution to the site is overpriced tat.

That said i did use it for the first time in a while yesterday and it was very effective.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I remember the old forum being the same, I think it's rose tinted glasses.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

the trust is gone.

Nahh. No way.
    You can all trust me…..! 😈

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘The Classified Forum lately.’ is closed to new replies.