• This topic has 35 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Ro5ey.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • The City 'shorting' sterling over Scotland Independence fear.
  • rossatease
    Free Member

Looks like the money boys aint happy at the thought of us divorcing, can’t say I am much, just for the sake of a few more politicians enjoying more power.

Scottish company share value also appears to be headed for the toilet.

My apologies mods, meant it to go in chat, although at 2 cents down it likely will affect bike prices which get organised about now from memory.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Future Shand bikes going cheap ?

edhornby

I would imagine that Shand et al will become more expensive because a lack of independant Scottish Central bank makes corporate loans more expensive and pushes on commercial rents etc

I imagine that the mods are now going to point us to the mega-thread on scottish independance ‘osborne says no..’

jambalaya
    Free Member

@rossatease – I think it’s global traders not just “the city” selling, not all are shorting sterling some are selling out of long positions they had to reduce risk. It’s not hard to see a Yes vote is damaging to the UK and increases uncertainty (as to how things will pan out) so those are negative for GBP

Speeder

It’s nothing to do with “being happy” it’s just a bet. Something is going to happen to the value of Stirling whatever the outcome and they’ve got to make a profit from it as that’s their job.

rossatease
    Free Member

It’s either this or spinning long term weather forecasts to short or boost Gas futures.

Bloody city, it never ends, this will run and run, they’ll make millions meanwhile we pay for it one way or another.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Can’t we have all the independence naysaying in the one thread? There’s plenty of space in the Osborne thread for all!. 😀

zippykona

I’m quite happy for this thread to go it alone.
    If we get lumped in with the other thread our voices will not be heard.

rickmeister

I’m all for this as an independent thread, I dont want the other thread (which I have to say, was foisted upon us), to limit my ability to contribute on this one.

Rockplough
    Free Member

lunge

The City doesn’t like uncertainty, this votes gives just that so the they’ll run away. Standard stuff.

CountZero

I don’t think this is ‘The City’, it’s hedge-fund speculators manipulating things to make huge profits for themselves. The same thing happens elsewhere, it’s particularly noticeable with Apple shares, for example, where speculators deliberately spread FUD, (fear, uncertainty, doubt), to short-sell shares and make big profits. It happens with monotonous regularity, but I think it’s less easy to do with global currencies, so the bastards are rubbing their hands with glee over this, the trader I heard on BBC news this morning could barely contain himself, I’m certain he went rushing to the loo with a box of tissues afterwards…

postierich
    Free Member

Keep your nerve Scotland 🙂

grantway
    Free Member

Think there are fools not to escape the crap we are facing in our poor health care and the poor education system thank fully led by the Tories quest where Thatcher was knobled The wurst thing Scotland can do is being sucked in by Tories Privatised bull shit. The Tories answer to everything is Privatise it if they can’t control it and if it doesn’t work it isn’t our problem ! That is the Conservative manifesto.
    Leave while you can before they sink you too !!!!

bruneep

And the “city” always get it right don’t they…..

Ro5ey
    Free Member

The city is “liking” it because uncertainty brings volatity and with that comes increased volume … more is sold and bought.

Not sure how that makes them bastards.

What would prefer them to do?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It’s nothing to do with “being happy” it’s just a bet. Something is going to happen to the value of Stirling whatever the outcome and they’ve got to make a profit from it as that’s their job.

I doubt the town of Stirling is going to be singled out 😉

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Stick to the day job THM. 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

I blame Mel Gibson, meself.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep uncertainty leads to speculation and a reduction in value, too many unanswered questions to be the last one holding the bag of stirling.
    Just remember a lot of these ugly nasty evil corporate trader scum are managing your pension pots and trying to reduce your exposure to risk. As I recall there was a dip when the last election vote was hung before there was a coalition sorted as those who are investing/dealing had no idea which way things would turn.

postierich – Member
    Keep your nerve Scotland

Which way?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Mike, there is a big difference between those trading and those investing pension funds.

The Asians are now waking up to the threat with concerns over stErling – watch that volatility in £$ rise!!!! Nomura giving it (a poss yes vote) a pasting this morning

rossatease
    Free Member

Either way the whole thing is a bad thing for all of us both sides of the border, whoever thought of it needs giving the Wallace treatment.

I think both sides should be concerned English and Scot, just because we have a bunch of lame politicians in play now, taking a massive decision like breaking up a Union that has existed for most of the formative years of the current system/economy is like a horrendous divorce on a Naionwide scale and we all know what happens in divorces, they inevitably get ugly and both sides lose.

All for what? So we’re ruled by two sets of slimy lying scum sucking fools.

I hate the thought of a split, even more than I hate the thought of the bloody city profiting from it.

What’s worse, I don’t even have any say in the matter, nobody is even consulting me, it’s like the wife being asked if she wants to leave me, and me not even being allowed to say please don’t go.

peterfile
    Free Member

Either way the whole thing is a bad thing for all of us both sides of the border

I think both sides should be concerned English and Scot

Both sides?

In a union consisting of 4 countries?

🙄

aracer
    Free Member

Think there are fools not to escape the crap we are facing in our poor health care and the poor education system

Yes, because the NHS is world renowned as being crap, and the Scottish education system is already independent.

doh
    Free Member

What’s worse, I don’t even have any say in the matter, nobody is even consulting me, it’s like the wife being asked if she wants to leave me, and me not even being allowed to say please don’t go.

Bit more like the wife has been saying “we like each other but you treat me like crap” but having it laughed off every time it is brought up over 40+yr period. Wife then gives date in the future when she may leave and gets more laughing and told to go we don’t care. When it turns out the taxi is on it’s way the laughing suddenly stops.

molgrips
    Free Member

Only if you’ve got a chip on your shoulder.

footflaps

I would bet that long term it will have no effect on Sterling even if Scotland floats off. They’ll be lots of volatility over the next 2 years, but then it will stabilise and the value will be back to normal.

rossatease
    Free Member

doh – Member
    Bit more like the wife has been saying “we like each other but you treat me like crap” but having it laughed off every time it is brought up over 40+yr period. Wife then gives date in the future when she may leave and gets more laughing and told to go we don’t care. When it turns out the taxi is on it’s way the laughing suddenly stops.

But I don’t treat her like crap, for several years it was her (politically) ruling me, her men made me go to war, I paid her folk more money than I paid my own, I let her teach her kid for nothing whilst I had to pay for mine, I tried every way to make her happy, sometimes I believe I’d be better off without her, but I still don’t think she should go, she’s not very attractive, is tightfisted always at the scotch or gone salmon fishing, but nobody will love her like I do.. 😉

MoreCashThanDash

Well put rossatease. Not sure I fully agree but well put.

doh
    Free Member

But I don’t treat her like crap, for several years it was her (politically) ruling me, her men made me go to war, I paid her folk more money than I paid my own, I let her teach her kid for nothing whilst I had to pay for mine,

Very confused what you could mean by politically ruling you and sending you to war. What on earth does that even mean?
    And thanks for “letting” us choose to spend our money on further education. Your government decided not to even though it was one of the coalition parties policies. it’s not our fault.

konabunny
    Free Member

Either way the whole thing is a bad thing for all of us both sides of the border

inside Scotland/outside Scotland

brooess
    Free Member

Does that investmentwatchblog ^^ have a reputation for being bearish or is that negativity unusual for them?

kcal

Very confused what you could mean by politically ruling you and sending you to war. What on earth does that even mean?

I *think* it’s a reference to the so-called Scottish mafia that the Sassenachs like to get so wound up about; Brown, Cook, Darling, Blair even.. (oh, and even late lamented John Smith in days gone past) That’s all been sorted now we have an egalitarian ruling elite now – Clegg, Cameron (oh, sounds a bit like a Jock name), Johnston…

doh
    Free Member

Ah yes the Scottish mafia. They meet near here every Wednesday. Thursday it’s the gay mafia and Friday it’s the Jews.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

There’s another pole out tonight … the Survation Survey

Reckon it must have been leaked.

GBP getting hit again.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘The City 'shorting' sterling over Scotland Independence fear.’ is closed to new replies.