Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • the Chubba is born 3/4 fatty singlespeed silliness
  • tazzymtb

lots of spare bits and some curiosity and this was the result: 27lb, one gear and big rubber. The rear is duro at just over 3″ with nice clearance, front is a Nate at 3.8″

actually pedals really well. I know it’s not a super floaty fatty, but it’s bloody fun 😀

IanMunro
    Free Member

Washing line could do with re-tensioning.

tazzymtb

oh and as I lots of spares kicking around it’s cost me £140 quid!

singlespeedstu

What’s the point of these fatbike things?

Looks stoopid if you ask me.

tazzymtb

What’s the point of these fatbike things?

ahhhh but it’s not a fat bike stu, it’s 3/4 fat bike, like being a chubby chaser, rather than into SSBBW pron. It makes ALLLL the difference

singlespeedstu

Still looks stoopid.
    I’d try to sell it and buy a specialgiant 5 if i were you.

tazzymtb

I’d try to sell it and buy a specialgiant 5 if i were you.

only if it comes with free body armour and a playing card in the spokes.

boxfish
    Free Member

I like it! One day I will sample some fatness. Chubby chaser!

tazzymtb

it’s surprising what you can cram in the back of a 29er frame. 😀

singlespeedstu

I must say though that I like the look of your rear rim.

Looks quite big…

ton

tazzy, tha’s not reight man…….. 😀

tazzymtb

lol at stu n ton. silly feckers, I loves ya.

tazzymtb

after a proper ride on it, it’s fantastically good fun and not much slower, once I got the tyre pressure sorted in the rear.

can feel a belt drive 9 zero 7 full fatty niggling in my mind now 😯

matt_outandabout

Gold painted railings in your own garden? oooh, get unique you.
    Bikes is good.

firestarter
    Free Member

I tried a half fat last year but it was a pain to pedal, not tried full fat tho

tazzymtb

Gold painted railings in your own garden?

joys of previous home owners, I spend too much time out on the bike to worry about house stuff. As long as it’s got bike storage and I can make a decent coffee I could live anywhere. 😀

chainslapp
    Free Member

Looks well that does Taz. How you keeping and a Happy New Year??

tazzymtb

Looks well that does Taz. How you keeping and a Happy New Year??

cheers slappy, keeping shite, but we’ll see what the new year brings. are you coming for a bimble at some point, me n pop will ride in a super relaxed stylee with a good coffee and cake stop. 😀

chainslapp
    Free Member

Sounds good Tazz, been out this morning for a 15 mile road ride on the Scandal, so trying to build my fitness up in readiness for coming out again. That’s only my second time out in about 4 months, so slow but sure.
    Are you going to take the full fat option then??

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

With a BB that low, its probably the best cornering bike in the known universe… couldn’t work it out to begin with, but am I right in thinking you’ve rammed your stubby fat bits into tall and slender frame? 6-in-9-oo-er

tazzymtb

With a BB that low, its probably the best cornering bike in the known universe… couldn’t work it out to begin with, but am I right in thinking you’ve rammed your stubby fat bits into tall and slender frame? 6-in-9-oo-er

got an EBB so can play with the height. It’s a 29er frame with massive tyre clearance and with a propper fat front but a fat tyre gives pretty much the same wheel size as a 29er so it doesn’t mangle the geometry or handling 😀

Gotama
    Free Member

Tazzy – Having ridden it do you prefer the chumba with a fat front rather than front suspension? Tempted to do the same with my yelli screamy but not quite had the balls to throw the cash at it yet. Think the angles should be ok and in principle it should work well on the relatively smooth southern trails but its all a bit of an unknown and a relatively expensive one at that.

singlespeedstu

Gotama.
    I own a Yelli and a fat fronted bike.
    The last thing i’d want to do with the Yelli is take the 140 fork off and fit the fatfront on it.
    It’d totaly ruin what the Yelli’s about.

Gotama
    Free Member

Ok, thanks stu. I think that was the nagging feeling in my head contributing to the hesitation. Will leave well alone and enjoy the yelli as it is.

singlespeedstu

Maybe buy a cheap shorter travel ht frame to experiment with. 😉

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Looks good. What model is the rear tyre? Is it on a standard rim?

I’ve been considering a chubbyish conversion for my Surly 1×1 for the winter. Got a pair of old Sun Rhyno Lyte rims which I’ve had rebuilt and wondering what tyre options to go for. Frame will apparently take up to 26 x 3.0, but all the options in that size appear to super gnarly / heavy DH tyres which would be overkill.

Firestarter – were they 26″ gazzaloddis on your KM?

Gotama
    Free Member

Stu – i have a swift which will probably get a fat front for a try when Sam brings out his fork. I got distracted and started thinking about doing it on the yelli when i saw someone on mtbr that had a by:stickel built specifically to run a fat front. Looked like a whole lot of fun with a slack ish head angle, short stays etc and that got me thinking.

tazzymtb

What model is the rear tyre? Is it on a standard rim?

I’ve been considering a chubbyish conversion for my Surly 1×1 for the winter. Got a pair of old Sun Rhyno Lyte rims which I’ve had rebuilt and wondering what tyre options to go for. Frame will apparently take up to 26 x 3.0, but all the options in that size appear to super gnarly / heavy DH tyres which would be overkill.

it’s a super gnarly 3″ duro downhill tyre on a 50mm rim. To be honest if you are fatting up the weight difference between that and a bog standard surly nate is not enough to worry.

gotoma- leave the yelli alone. The only reason why i do daft stuff like this is I have big surplus pile of bits so I can play and try random stuff without a major spend.

tazzymtb

a couple more tweaks and it turned into this

sheephills
    Free Member

Nice bikes looks fun, but not uphill though[*]
    That s a massive crud catcher on The scandal..

tazzymtb

but not uphill though[*]

steady will get up anything and the traction means that as long as you can gurn it’ll go up, so no more wheel slip and oh bail excuses 🙁

that scandal is wearing a Daves Mud shovel – the ultimate mud guard for a fat front

ska-49
    Free Member

Looks great! What size frame is that?
    If its 16” ive got a 18” Hx2 if you fancy swapping?

tazzymtb

it’s an 18″ hx2. If you want rid of the 18″ and it’s mk 2 frame like mine I know a man who’ll rip your arms of for it to make a fatty like wot i got.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

That’s me!!
    Addie in profile if you want to sell the 18 inch frame

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘the Chubba is born 3/4 fatty singlespeed silliness’ is closed to new replies.