Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • The Christmas Dinner thread…
  • johndoh
    Free Member

We are hosting Christmas Dinner this year so, apart from the bloody obvious (turkey, pigs in blankets, roasties and Yorkshires) what do I need to remember to buy/cook.

And please feel free to suggest recipes, options, puddings, starters, wine, cheese, etc etc etc.

Me is excited 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

I would cook 3x of the finest quality chickens you can find over a turkey any day.

This year it’s forerib of beef again. Already hanging 🙂

kcal

not, I assume, anti-freeze (depending on your attitude to your in-laws of course..)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-34223495

[Edit: we’re having venison, again. back to wild (was farmed last time I think). Yum! ]

johndoh
    Free Member

Possibly sound advice *but* I am a traditionalist and want to do a Christmas Dinner like I remember from when I was a kid 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

I think we’re up to 15 coming to our house this year, so “whatever the hell we can fit in the oven” is probably on the menu.

kcal

Fair enough.

Just get a copy of Delia’s Christmas? or Nigella’s??
    mulled wine; crisps; mushroom pate; trifle; pudding (& brandy); some decent solid red wine; panettone.. You’d be amazed at how much folk can eat when “it’s there”..

Drac

Forget what you had a kid and bin the Turkey.

Always beef, free-range chicken and a ham here but this year we’re off to my parent’s house. It’ll be Beef there too.

rusty90
    Free Member

I am a traditionalist and want to do a Christmas Dinner like I remember from when I was a kid

No, I’m trying to avoid that 🙁

woodster

Bread sauce. Make it yourself and it’s cheap and delicious.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

We’re going very traditional again this year – we’re going for a curry!
    Its our tradition 🙂
    Slow cooked leg of lamb for me, sea bass for MsD .

Pigface
    Free Member

Yorkshire pud wit Turkey? Are you some kind of heathen?

oldnpastit

Turkey is great, I don’t understand why so much hate for it exists.

But it’s worth paying for something good. We go to our local butcher.

Then follow the instructions from Delia.

jekkyl

We’re hosting for mine and my sister’s family this year, 4 adults & 3 kids under 6. Me and 4 cans of stella will be cooking. What do people do for starters these days? I always liked prawn cocktail or melon as a kid but understand that they are frowned upon these days as being a bit 80s. My wife & bil wouldn’t touch black pudding or anything like so looking for tasty and orginal solutions?

maccruiskeen

Just get a copy of Delia’s Christmas? or Nigella’s??

Jamie Oliver’s recipes for roast pots and veg are good – flavourful without having to do any culinary backflips

Kelly Bronze turkeys are worth the extra – get one that is just big enough of the day and enjoy it rather than something massive and bland for leftovers

kayla1
    Free Member

I think we had venison burger and chips for dinner last year for Santa’s birthday.

maccruiskeen

What do people do for starters these days?

Theres a great big yummy roast dinner in the oven. Who cares about starters.

Starters are for dinning out. You’ve got guests – spend time with them. I don’t think I’ve ever cooked a starter in my whole life.

Stoner
    Free Member

If Im not cooking Rib of Beef, I do carpaccio of fillet. Chilled, rolled in cellophane. remove from cellophane, cut v v fine with sharp knife, lay out on plate, ease it out with the heel of your hand, a few shavings of parmesan, black pepper, oil. Let it come up to room temperature. Serve

Game or chicken main, I make my own chicken liver paté.

I also make my own gravadlax. Easy to do at home. Only takes a few days to do in the fridge. Loads of online recipes – mainly sugar, dill, salt and white pepper. Side of salmon. Cellophane tupperware fridge bobs yours.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Lots of things on sticks and a tin of Quality Street *1 tin per person
    and enough chapati to last till Feb

Please note that tins of Roses are for the common people (what my mum says)

Drac

Alcohol.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Starters ? To be honest after a morning breakfast and eating nuts and chocolate all morning starters aren’t really required. As for the meal I’d focus on a killer main course with something simple before/after. As per Stoners post things which have been cooked in advance like home made Pate and the Gravalax is simple to do with a high quality Salmon. It’s supposed to be a family day and not one spent in the kitchen

This year we are hosting my vegetarian daughter and her boyfriend so it will be a series of Ottolenghi dishes.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Beef, well we do have an Organic Beef & Lamb Farm so why not…again…and again.. and again…. and…
    again.

Mrs’s is a Vegetarian and she’ll be having the veg… again, and again, and again…

However, we do go over the top a bit so it’s always “special”

We also have a theme, no idea what it is yet mind ❓

lambchop
    Free Member

Turkey cooked in the Weber kettle. Brined for 24 hours first. Nom!

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Starters, smoked salmon or mackerel pate.
    Main, butchers Turkey with all the trimmings and gluten free waitrose stuffing.
    Gluten free Xmas pud and alpro custard.

crazy-legs

My grandparents used to do the turkey thing. They’d buy something the size of a small pony from some farmer just down the road because he was a friend of the family and they’d always done it and they felt they had to…

Sick to death of bloody turkey. We’d still be eating it a week later. Turkey sandwiches, turkey stew, turkey salad…

So now that the grandparents are long gone we normally have pheasant or venison. Sometimes both. 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

The STW Christmas Dinner thread…
    FTFY…

It’s fricking mid November!
    😀

Drac – Moderator
    Alcohol.

^^ I am compelled to agree.

THAT’S IT! Xmas on STW appears to have begun. Don’t fight it.

Solo
    Free Member

crazy-legs – Member

Sick to death of bloody turkey. We’d still be eating it a week later. Turkey sandwiches, turkey stew, turkey salad

Have you not learnt anything from our imperial past? Over abundance of post Xmas turkey is why the people of India invented curry!
    Thank goodness for India and curry!!
    😀

timidwheeler

Starter – I’m doing a terrine this year. Actually quite easy but looks good and can be sorted in advance.

cheers_drive

Beef short ribs this year, should be good.
    I like roast duck stuffed with prunes. Turkey is generally awful

slowoldman

I’m not a great lover of turkey. Give me a good quality free range chicken any day. But I have one of those regularly throughout the year so it’s not special enough for Santa. I did try a John Tovey turkey recipe one year which involved smothering it in a pack of butter then wrapping in muslin. It bastes itself and comes out with moist flesh and crisp skin.

I’ve tried duck and goose and have also been underwhelmed. Last year I did loin of pork stuffed with agen prunes soaked in brandy. Very nice indeed. Not sure what yet this year. I think maybe it’s all the bits and bobs that make it Christmassy though. The chipolatas, home made pork sausage stuffing (if fowl), a large variety of veg, etc.

colournoise

Haven’t done Turkey for years.

This year is rabbit haggis for starter. Main is pork (pressed roast belly, braised cheek and roast loin) with crackling, roast potatoes and red cabbage. And home made christmas pudding and ice cream to finish.

Reminds me, I need to get the pudding made this weekend…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Goose FTW!

john_drummer
    Free Member

Nowt wrong wi’ that, says a born n bred Yorkshire man. Yorkshire pud goes with any Sunday dinner type meal. Just make sure there’s plenty of gravy

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Christmas Dinner like I remember from when I was a kid

Boil the shit out of everything!

I like to do the following (very trad but that’s the way I like it)
    Starter – soup, keep it light like, this is a marathon not a sprint
    Turkey – half a lemon, sage, rosemary and half a pat of butter up the jacksy , cumberalnd sausage stuffing and smoked streaky bacon and sage leaves on the breast – roated breast down for 2/3rds and up for 1/3
    Bit of pork shoulder to liven the gravy up
    Honey roast parsnips
    Dolphin-wise potatoes
    Roasties,
    Brussels with pancetta and parmesan
    apple sauce with ginger
    stuffing
    picks in blankets and devils on horseback
    Pudding – that’s for the nana’s to sort out.
    usually for 8-10 people
    going out this year ‘cos it takes two frickin days to cook it and I miss out on most of christmas day!

Pz_Steve

I’m at my Dad’s and cooking for the whole family this year. Still trying to persuade my sister to slaughter a pig for us. Cooked on low for 14 hours, so you do all the work on Christmas eve, then just blast at the end to crisp up the crackling.

Plus it’s more special somehow, when you know the name of the animal that’s “made the ultimate sacrifice” for your festive enjoyment!

theotherjonv

After another Xmas **** last year where the beef was still raw by the time the turkey needed to go in, and I was dispatched to stand outside in the rain turning it on the barbecue while everyone else ate canapes and drank…… I threw my toys and said we’re not doing it this year.

So every month I’ve put some money aside and this year i’m taking the family to a gastropub and some other **** can worry about the timing of the roast and fetching drinks for a dozen other people. Yes, it’s going to cost me best part of £500, but that’s how deep all these years of me being the **** mug that ends up doing the clearing up while people shout their tea and coffee orders from the other room has cut.

And if anyone complains about the food, at least I’ll have the chef on my side too. With a big **** off cleaver, hopefully.

llama

We’re on family rotation and it’s my off year, but I was thinking about what i would do. Good turkeys are overpriced and tricky to cook. I’ll be doing a rib of beef when it’s my turn next year. Much tastier and you don’t get many excuses to get a big joint in the oven. Last year for Boxing Day I poached a massive salmon, plenty enough for 12 plus fish pie, fish cakes etc. Easiest and quickest Christmas cooking I’ve ever done and impresses. Don’t get a cheep fatty one though.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Plus it’s more special somehow, when you know the name of the animal that’s “made the ultimate sacrifice” for your festive enjoyment!

Pz Steve ‘Let’s all raise a glass and have a moments quiet reflection for Mr Snuffles’

Family ‘Mr Snuffles’

>a child sobs in the background<

johndoh
    Free Member

No, I’m a Yorkshireman…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

DP

Edit: that’s not your fault though John

garage-dweller

Roast dinner with whatever meat we fancy.

Mrs gd does do good roast dinners. Might get a turkey crown/breast joint this year so I have an excuse to try my grans sausagemeat and peanut stuffing. Best not actually stuffed but baked in a loaf tin. It’s like a meat dish in itself. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘The Christmas Dinner thread…’ is closed to new replies.