• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by grum.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The Christmas cold™ comedown
  • toyrobot
    Free Member

Like everyone else I know, I spent most of my Christmas break with a terrible cold that turned into a terrible cough. It’s all more or less gone now (still a bit of a cough lingering) – my question is this – is it normal to be knackered now? I’m falling asleep earlier than normal and sleeping for far longer than normal and I feel like I’ve got hardly any energy. Is it the aftermath of the cold or have I just became a lazy b****d over the holidays?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Is it too early to say MTFU?

PS Get well soon, it can take your body a while to recover from this sort of thing. Take it easy and drink plenty of fluids and you’ll be reet.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I seem to have been a victim of this also, 10 days in, I’ve started feeling more normal this week, similar symptoms to you. Amazingly frustrating because I’m never normally ill.

I’m going to start exercising again tonight and see what happens.

toyrobot
    Free Member

Never too early to say MTFU – I’ve been saying it myself since Boxing day.

I’ve been out for a few hours on the bike here and there. It might not have been my best idea.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

^ If you’re in the grip of a bad bout of the cold, I really don’t think going out on the bike helps in cold, damp weather.

organic355
    Free Member

I started feeling rough on the 12th December. Last night was the 1st night I didnt have a 2 hour coughing fit as soon as I got horizontal in bed. and 1st time I slept through the night without waking up with a tickly cough.

Cough is still lingering but feels like its on its way out, still coughing up some nice chunky red/brown bits too.

Best thing for me I reckon was to get some excercise, did 5k on the treadmill on Sunday and a 2-1/2 hour weights, medicine ball, punchbag workout on Monday. rested last night and 1st karate session of the new year tonight which will probably make or break me! hoping for a good workout though.

ton

i came down with pnuemonia 2 weeks before xmas. i was treated with antibiotics, and by the weekend before xmas day, i felt fine and thought it had gone.
    went on the bike everyday since boxing day, just nice and steady……but it has returned.
    just spent the last 18hrs in a terrible state, and going back to the hospital this afternoon.

toyrobot
    Free Member

Jesus! Don’t mess about with pnuemonia. My better half had it in 2011 into 2012, right over Christmas. Took her months and wasn’t allowed to do anything until she was completely clear of it. Some pretty bad memories of ambulances and hospital visits to just get her breathing. (her Docs refused antibiotics for ages, thinking it was simply a cold/cough so by the time it was confirmed, it was set in good – the effing idiots).

toyrobot
    Free Member

That cold/virus/plague that I posted about up there, ages ago – it’s back. Probably never left in the first place. Living with two small children means we’re pretty much swimming in germs here – coughing and sneezing seeming to be as frequent as drawing breath to the wee devils.

I’ve been to the Dr several times and each time is the same – drink plenty water and keep it in control with paracetamol and ibuprofen. Everyone else tells me I need my tonsils out – they always become infected and sore when ever I have any illness.

Anyway, my question is this
    On my last few bike runs I’ve had no strength in my legs. I’ve been miles behind friends who normally I’d be chatting with. Even on flat parts of trail I don’t seem able to get any real speed going and all pedal sections are tackled at little more than a trundle. I even gave up on one night ride last week and came home after a couple of miles, such was my shame at being so far behind and my frustration at myself.
    I’ve noticed even walking up stairs my legs get that heavy burn in them – please, tell me is this because of the cold/virus/plague that I have and not that I’ve just lost it?

The illness isn’t really a constant presence. I can feel more or less right for the best part of the day yet I’ll wake up in the middle of the night with a fever or I’ll become achy halfway through a days work. Tis a bloody pain in the arse, that’s for sure. I’ve got an event in May that I need to train for and this is really going to knacker that up.

tinybits
    Free Member

I do feel your pain, I’ve had it since Xmas and I feel like a lump of lead. The ‘spring’ has fine from my legs, I’m sleeping longer and generally feel crap.
    Until today, when I feel great! Can’t wait to get home and out on the bike (or a 2k swim if the weather is pants)
    You’ll regain fitness faster than you think, I was faster last year in May after 6months of enforced rest upto Feb than the year before when I was in the gym 3 times a week all winter.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Oh this sounds familiar.

I had this back around December I think, and it came back again for another go on Friday. Doesn’t seem as bad this time around tough, so hopefully it won’t linger so long.

Fortunately neither of the nippers has succumbed to it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I got it in November.

I found that as long as I MTFU’d but kept warm (an extra layer) I felt better than sat at home and felt like I got over it quicker.

I guess a turbo might be a better idea.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

+1 tins.I think my Christmas present is still lingering.Always seems better after a few hikes.Odd.

CountZero

Same here, only mine was preceded by a dose of Norovirus. My cough is largly gone, just the occasional coughing up green goo, and the continual stream of green goo from my sinuses has lessened by quite a lot. Still feel lacking in energy, and get a bit breathless. This after nearly a month now, I’ve never had anything like this before, it’s really knocked me out.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Dont worry CZ,my local surgery told me half the people round here are in your situation.Suspect you wont feel much better till the spring arrives.

grum
    Free Member

Not meaning to doom-monger but I had a nasty cold/flu type virus about three years ago and have never fully recovered.

I suspect MTFU is probably the worst advice going, and if I’d taken it easy rather than going out biking every time I started to feel a bit better I probably would have recovered a lot faster.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘The Christmas cold™ comedown’ is closed to new replies.