Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The Cheviots, etc
  • lats
    Free Member

There was a thread on here about a year ago by Fergal about cycling around wooler. Can anyone recommend a route from wooler that takes in the cheviot?

Also on that thread was Jon Taylor talking about the 3 peaks route. anyone know what this is?

what’s the cycling like on the pennine way from haltwhistle northwards?

I’ve been over to Northumberland twice but mostly for hiking. Cycled around Kielder lake but that’s about it.

cheers

lats

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Jon was refering to one of our local loops out of Hexham known as the 3 Peaks, because it goes up and down 3 hills around here: Yellow Rigg, Haydon Fell and Warden Hill

Drac

Cheviot has no bridleways up it so it’s bit cheeky to ride up it.

If you’re after to routes around Wooler then Michael at the Haugh Head garage will help you out, it has a small bike shop attached. It’s just south of Wooler on the A697, he may help with a route to errm walk up Cheviot.

bajsyckel

Regardless of the only routes to the top of Cheviot being footpaths, they are also either a bog, or a bog with flagstones (pennine-way style). Not fun riding, or worth it IME. That said, I used to run up and down after work when I worked in Wooler and the view from the top is unreal on a clear day. Even walking up and down from Langleeford won’t take long if you must go up for whatever reason. You’d find much better riding on the bridleways around there though if you have a copy of the OS. If you head west from Wooler it’s all legal before long too. If you’re planning this soon though you’ll find some really boggy stuff.

P20

This isn’t on to cheviot, buts it’s the only route I have for the Wooler area. Can’t find the gpx file though

Wooler Route by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Do cheeky rules apply, this close to the border? I’ve never been too bothered…
    😉

fergal
    Free Member

As has been said the Cheviot in isolation offers fine bog snorkelling, there are routes when it is dry that are worthwhile imho, a great longish loop that has a great feeling of being out in the wilds, riding a huge chunk of the border ridge, is to leave Wooler West of the common to follow BW up through hells glen to broadstruther all ridable, continue on the BW to the top of the hawser burn, follow the path up to Scauld hill, some carrying, now follow the Cheviot tourist route with a carry to the summit, flagstones and boardwalk onto the border ridge, follow this over the Schill, then one of the the best bits, down steer rigg all the way to green humbleton, then follow St cuthberts way off right, either follow this all the way to Wooler, or opt for the minor road (30+ miles total), would only recommend after a long dry spell.

edit. the start of the route is the one shown above to the Hawser burn

ahsat

You can start at or near Alwinton with an OS map and link up all sort of bridleways, including riding into Scotland. Based on how damp its been, some bits will be a bog (as mentioned).

lats
    Free Member

thanks for all that folks. great help. i’ve been up on cheviot before ( on foot )and while i’ve hiked much higher mountains in ireland and abroad there’s something about that area that just feels amazing. Plenty of info between this and the old thread to keep me doing. have done a small bit of singletrack DH in Ireland but no XC. Dyin to get into it more. and maintainence. i’m crap at that. thanks again.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘The Cheviots, etc’ is closed to new replies.