• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The cheap Chinese (Rear) light thread
  • theblackmount
    Free Member

Ok I’m bored now with the plethora of Solarstorm threads 😉 What’s flavour of the month with rear lights?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve the origial magicshine one.

+ silly bright
    + un-angled seapost bracket means the main beam illuminates a big patch of road behind and the periferal LED’s are as bright as a normal light pointing back and to the sides.
    + works off 8.4V batteries (i.e. magicshine, solarstorm et. al. with the appropriate addapter or spliter cable)

-I’d rather the switch just clicked between modes, however far you turn it just changes one mode, why not just have 3-4 clicks (off, pulse, strobe, on)?
    -‘switch’ seems a little un-sensative this year after 2 years of abuse. Might take it appart for a clean with some contact cleaner.
    -like anything seapost mounted it’s obscured by saddle bags, might get a Triathlon style headtube bag to get arround this.

theblackmount
    Free Member

How waterproof is it?

theblackmount
    Free Member

Was thinking more of Exposuresque products. Like this:

http://dx.com/p/3-mode-1-led-red-light-bike-safety-black-yellow-2-x-cr2032-225313

bammy
    Free Member
    jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

i’d be interested to know if anyone has experience of rechargeable (pref usb) front “city” be-seen lights from DX and similar too..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s in it’s 3rd (actualy maybe 4th?) year attached to my seatpost. So 4 years of drizzle and rear wheel splash-proof. There’s no obvious way for water to get into it, .

Appart from the switch being a bit irritating to turn on it’s been pretty faultess. If it breaks I’ll buy another and just splice it into whatever battery/wiring I’ve got in the future (assuming 8.4V stays fairly standard).

lovewookie

Theblackmount, Wiggle sold those lights for a while, they were OK, but the mud got in and the push action soon stopped them working properly. They were cheap though.

Better are the Leyzine versions. I got mine free with a subscription 😉

these

edlong
    Free Member

Got a ‘free’ rear light with my solarstorm… It’s red, takes batteries and either provides constant light or flashing in various different configurations. It will probably explode and kill me shortly, but so far it seems to the providing-red-light thing as well as I need it to.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Has anyone tried gluing a piece of car/motorcycle rear light lens over a front light for a decent rear light?
    Just musing.

theblackmount
    Free Member

That Lezyne unit looks very nice. Seen mixed reviews on Exposures effort.

The candb seen unit is definitely a get your tanks off my lawn statement 😉

Duggan

Can anyone tell me if the rear lights that are fitted with the ‘o’ ring type bracket (like this exposure flare)

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/exposure/flare-rear-light-ec042905

are any good for mountain bike night-riding? The club I ride with insist on red, rear lights for night riding and I’d like one I can just whip on or off but unsure if the brackets will last on the trail, in the wet, mud etc?

tomaso
    Free Member

Rubber bands are surprisingly good at holding lights on :mrgreen:

TiRed

Cateye Rapid1. USB rechargeable, proper mounting system for seatpost, rack or saddle rails. Now only £15. But two and extra mounts for other bikes.

DezB
    Free Member

Get one of the Pharts from On-One (£4.99)

and stick a pledge on this
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/intellegent-bike-light-see-sense

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘The cheap Chinese (Rear) light thread’ is closed to new replies.