Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • The Chamonix Bike Book – Mountain and Road Bike Guide Book
  • sluff
    Free Member

Hi,

Just wanted to introduce this new mountain bike guide book from The Chamonix Collective called ‘The Chamonix Bike Book’ which can be bought online here. Its a grass routes project created by locals to help promote the amazing singletrack mountain biking to be had around the Chamonix Valley, well worth a read if anyone is heading out that way.

The Chamonix Bike Book

Peace

Radioman

I’m going out to Argentiere for a family 10 day vacation from mid August. Does the book have any Mtb trails round there? I should get a few days for riding in so am thinking of trying to book a guide too. Sounds interesting 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

I just got a couple copy from Zero-G, been reading it every morning on the train. I understand it’s the second edition of the book and there have been plenty of recommendations of the original on here.

@Radioman – it covers the whole area, a lot of the trails are not open in July and August (reserved for walkers only) but there is still enough for a few days riding.

Radioman

Cheers Jambalaya. I’l order a copy tonight. Maybe I’d better sort a guide out for a day or two when I get there too.

tomw_n
    Free Member

I’m the guy that wrote the book. Thanks so much for buying copies and supporting it; Chamonix is not the most straightforward place to ride a mountain bike, and the objective of the Bike Book is partly to dispel a few myths, but mostly to inform about the sick, sick trails available here.

Though there are some OK DH tracks here with berms, northshore & jumps, IMO what Chamonix does best is the freeride-type natural terrain that’s mostly ridden on a dual-chainring, 4.5″-7″ travel, slackish trail bike. And by natural terrain I mean singletrack walkers’ paths. The book tries to express the most creative ways to link up the walkers’ paths to get best use of vertical, to access the best features & most importantly to build good flow.

Of course, walkers’ paths means walkers, hence the bike restrictions in peak months. I’ve tried to find loopholes and snide shortcuts to produce some legit routes in July & August.

There are some notable exceptions, like the Holy Trail & Sick Track, which are both in nature reserves and not legal to mountain bike, although I don’t think anyone’s ever received a ticket for doing so.

Well, thanks again for buying the book. Makes doing it feel worthwhile. We’ve sold a pile to CHX locals already, and a couple of people are even using it as a checklist for their summer, ticking off rides as they do them! There are 34 mountain bike routes & 7 road bike routes in there. If anyone has questions a few people on here have bought the book already so I’m sure myself, the Sluff designers or existing customers will be more than capable to answer.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Best riding this side of the Atlantic….buy it.

accu
    Free Member

mine is on its way..
    thanks tomw n !

Radioman

Cheers Tomw n . Thanks for the info. Happy to support your book and its great you took the time to write it. That is just the sort of riding I like. a few years ago in Hinterglem I decided to go the “off piste” route too and I love the alpine/downhill single track. I appreciate very much the fact that we are nearly always sharing our trails so I make sure I don’t upset walkers etc as its easy for a few mad bikers to get us all banned… I can’t wait to get to Grand Montets… my nomad will love it!

Radioman

Great photo Nick…can’t wait to get there!

pinhead
    Free Member

which trail is that Freeridenick?

nice one Tom with the new book.
    chamonix is mint.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Bellachat refuge trail…switchback tech….

forgotmename
    Free Member

Great stuff, il have a copy of that, freeridenick, that pics v misleading!

freeridenick
    Free Member

why – makes it look easier than it is!

mattjg
    Free Member

Good photo, it captures Chx well.

The author’s description of the kind of riding there is accurate as well.

forgotmename
    Free Member

yes freeridenick it does, a lot, considering im normally pretty tired by then, it is a trail that demands full concentration all the way down, and it looks almost flat, top photo again tho.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Yep – its a hard one all right. looks deceptively flat. It spanked a mate of mine, he dissapeared off one of the switch backs and completely missed once section of trail landing at the next switchback!

View the other way!

forgotmename
    Free Member

Yea ive had a few peeps walk the first bit then not enjoyed the rest of it, and 1 of them could ride the shore type riding no probs, its not for everyone. I have footage of me and a mate doing the gap too (thats me blowin my trumpet).

mattjg
    Free Member

Not my kind of riding but horses for courses. In the winter, dropping off from the parapente take off area is a nice ski, is this the same slope?

(And the old gondala ride, when it shot out into space after the first couple of pylons, was always fun. Especially on windy days!)

pinhead
    Free Member

which is the gap forget me?
    and is the belechat trail the one after holy?as in straight on and down the next one where them switchbacks at start are hard as.
    as it looks different for some reason but i know we did it.

forgotmename
    Free Member

Theres a step down about half ish way down, it looks like theres a gap in the trail as you get to it, and its a fair drop to your left, i usually get off for that bit, but i rode it once, wouldnt do it again tho, as you go off of it, i put front wheel on the lip on the rockface about 12 inches down and leant slightly left and hoped for the best, when i got back to zerog and showed the lads n lasses there was hi 5’s all round (and i dont normally do that american shit). I had done the trail a few weeks earlier with Pico from the bike shop and a lad called Ewan, and Pico wouldnt let me have a go whilst with him, so i went back with a mate and done it with him. Like i said i defo wouldnt try it again as im about fkd by the time i get there nowadays,
    As im led to believe, Holy trail is from top of Aguillette des Houches towards merlot animal park
    Belachat is down by the refuge, but Tom’l put me right if im wrong. ?

freeridenick
    Free Member

Servoz ridge trail and holy trail from the Aguillette des Houches – both epic as it gets and IMO better than the refuge trail.

Ridge trail

Best in full size http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4103/4986665918_fa3455c035_o.jpg
    Holy trail

forgotmename
    Free Member

agreed, as holy trail does have wkd flow and is well worth the push.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Anyone been up Brevent with their bike this year?

Looks like it might not be covered anymore (only Plan Praz)on the Cham Sport Pass 20E that we normally use?

http://www.compagniedumontblanc.co.uk/en/lift-passes

Grump
    Free Member

You could still go to the top of Brevant with a bike at the start of July, but that’s with a Chamonix annual pass, the cheaper cham sport pass seemingly doesn’t cover it, there’s a blog from Tom here: http://www.thechamonixbikebook.com/news/which-chamonix-lift-pass/

For other chamonix biking stuff, there’s also: http://chamonixbikeblog.wordpress.com/

freeridenick
    Free Member

As yes – explains it all…

Seems like they are pushing for people to buy the more expensive Mt Blanc multipass which covers the tramway and the midi etc.

At least you get to go on the tramway on the last train of the day with that one.

Grump
    Free Member

Why, how cynical of you….. 🙂

freeridenick
    Free Member

😆

Radioman

The book came through my door this morning.

Great book !

Thanks for the recommendation guys!

accu
    Free Member

got my book yesterday,

absolutely brilliant !!

thanks tomw n

freeridenick
    Free Member

Flights booked for end of August 8)

bspoked
    Free Member

I’m over in October, so all the lifts will be closed. I’ve been walking in CHX at time of the year and am prepared for the weather, but this will be the first time with a bike.

I’ll be looking for the easiest way to gain altitude (hike-a-bike is fine) to maximise the flowy-descent stuff. Any tips?

I’m quite happy to buy this book if it isn’t all just lift-assist stuff.

Cheers

freeridenick
    Free Member

Book has plenty of suggestions for non-lift stuff.

Endless steep loam above Servoz etc.

forgotmename
    Free Member

freeridenick, il be out there from 25nd to 2rd sept, it would be nice to meet you, i think a sweary lad may be there at that time too.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Yes we are 28th-2nd sept.
    Sounds like a Chamonix STW convention 8)

Think we are trying for Mt Buet this trip as well 😯 . overnight at the Refuge Moede L’anterne

bspoked
    Free Member

Cheers Nick. I’ve ordered the book.

Just been looking at the push up to Flegere…

freeridenick
    Free Member

Long old push up to Flegere!

Some reasonable road climbs above Servoz, Chedde, Passy to get you to some great wooded stuff.

bspoked
    Free Member

Thanks, I can see those now.

freeridenick
    Free Member

anything with dotted red look for.

also some in the book around there.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘The Chamonix Bike Book – Mountain and Road Bike Guide Book’ is closed to new replies.