Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • The 'catching and passing other commuters' game
  • IHN

Electric bikes; it’s just not cricket.

tomhoward

Sometimes it’s fun to bring a Gatling gun to a knife fight.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Your not trying hard enough

IHN

Your not trying hard enough

I bloody was, I caught the bugger 🙂

lunge

Electric bikes; it’s just not cricket.

It’s not, but if you can catch them and they’re going a reasonably lick, you can use them like a derny bike and just sit in their slip stream before blasting past at an opportune moment.

fifeandy
    Free Member

You could maybe try just riding to work?
    The ladies are never going to be impressed by your crazy commuting prowess no matter how many other mamils you overtook on the way to the office.

nickjb
    Free Member

Rules are here: http://www.itsnotarace.org/ that said, the first rule is not to admit you are racing

IHN

You could maybe try just riding to work?
    The ladies are never going to be impressed by your crazy commuting prowess no matter how many other mamils you overtook on the way to the office.

Speak for yourself, I’m beating them off with a $hitty stick.

Solo
    Free Member

Never encountered an electric bike, during the commute.

However, when someone does start the game by passing and you just “know” what’s happening.
    My typical response is to latch onto their rear wheel and just it in.
    Which I find deals satisfactorily with those types.
    😉

Solo
    Free Member

nickjb – Member Rules are here: http://www.itsnotarace.org/ that said, the first rule is not to admit you are racing

What…. The first rule of Bike club?

There is no bike club!

IHN

Those rules have electric bikes at the bottom of the food chain. I think that needs a marshall’s enquiry.

thv3
    Free Member

The electric bikes motor should top out at 15/16mph, after which they’re easy prey 😈
    Good option is to slowly pull away tempting them out of the assist range

tomhoward

The electric bikes motor should top out at 15/16mph, after which they’re easy prey 😈

Unless you have a mostly uphill commute 😈

epicsteve
    Free Member

Unless you have a mostly uphill commute

Also needs care not to pass them just before an uphill bit.

matts
    Free Member

I try not to get baited into racing when commuting. I normally poodle around apart from when I’m in an interval. But I do like passing electric bikes up hill. I guess the average person who can’t ride a bike for themselves must be putting out 100-150W in addition to about 250W for the average assist bike. Normally takes a good crack to get past. Bonus points for riding no-handed, taking a drink, and adjusting your jersey when passing.

DezB
    Free Member

As I realised when I overtook our bike shed’s eBike rider on my way home. You may go past them, but you’re using a lot more effort than they are 🙂

joebristol

Had this before. There’s a steep hill on my commute home (I’m on a boardman team carbon racer) and I normally pass people up it. On the flat approaching it I was catching up a lady who must have been in her 50’s fairly quickly. We both hit the gill and my rate of catching up slowed significantly however much effort I put in. Eventually caught and passed her near the top – she wasn’t even trying that hard – that was when I realised there was a sodding great battery pack attached to the frame!

brakes
    Free Member

the stealth electric bikes are the worst, where the battery isn’t obvious and the motor is in the front hub. it’s not always obvious whether they’re electric of if you’re having a really bad day.

Sandwich

E-bikes, pah. I’ve had a moped lose momentum going uphill past me which I then re-took on the uphill section. Much fun and personal satisfaction for an early 50’s bloke.

Daffy

Electric bikes from a traffic light start are bloody difficult to compete with…once or twice is fine, but after 7-10 sets, I’m knackered and they’re still at over 50% battery.

Also, you arrive at the next set of lights all red faced and sweaty and they just roll up it’s a Sunday cruise to the pub.

sirromj

Unfortunately I can’t overtake myself. No other buggers to overtake on my commute. Occassionally see other cyclists going the opposite direction if I look at Strava fly by.

Hammered it past 3 children up a short steep backstreet this afternoon. Yes.

phiiiiil

The only people I see out on bikes on my way to work are builder’s bum, seat too low, chain that has never seen oil, trying not to drop their cigarette types; it spoils the fun a bit as there’s no challenge. Maybe I need to tell them they’re just not taking it seriously enough… 🙂

oldtalent
    Free Member

I didn’t know this was a thing. I ride my ebike to work and arrive fresh and smelling pleasant still.
    The chicks prefer that to a sweaty man bragging about their overtakes.

bencooper
    Free Member

This is why I like commuting by recumbent – breeze past someone on a road bike, let them sit behind for a bit puffing madly, then pull away because there’s not much slipstream 😀

matts
    Free Member

I didn’t know this was a thing. I ride my ebike to work and arrive fresh and smelling pleasant still.

Do you work at a poultry farm?

cookeaa

I saw someone riding one of these on my way home today:

Which appeared to be the polar opposite of an e-bike in that it appears to make ‘cycling’ less efficient and harder than just about any conventional bicycle or recumbent could manage.
    The existence of such contraptions sort of karmic as it offsets the ‘cheating’ that e-bike riders are engaged in IMO…

Bregante

epicsteve – Member

Unless you have a mostly uphill commute

Also needs care not to one-handed pass them just before an uphill bit.[/quote]

fify.

aracer
    Free Member

I can probably beat that in terms of lack of efficiency – though admittedly the unicycle on which I’ve overtaken cyclists does have a geared hub, so a certain level of technical sophistication

Daffy

Drivel.

senorj

Samuri,who hasn’t been on here in a while, used to amuse me with his tales of commuter baiting and slaying.
    Its worst when you’ve passed someone and they then fly through the red light I’m waiting at,and it all starts again..ha.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘The 'catching and passing other commuters' game’ is closed to new replies.