Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • The brummie accent….
  • bigyim
    Free Member

By the sounds of this we should all tek some pieces down the cut and meet up for a ride and some bostin fittle

maloney19710776
    Free Member

That reminds me of the joke:
    A kid was crying at the side of the cut in Tipton. A copper came along and asked “Why are you crying?”. The kid said “my mates fell in the cut”. Quick as a flash the policeman jumped in the canal and dived for ten minutes, eventually he climbed out and said “sorry kid, I tried my best but I think your mate has drowned”. The kid said “Not my mate! My meat (mate) out of my sandwich”.

loddrik
    Free Member

The dividing line with the Liverpool accent and Manchester/Lancashire/Cheshire accent is pretty much the M57. With exception of Kirkby, everything the other side of the Motorway sounds like proper woolybacks. Witness Widnes and St Helens to see just how different they sound just a couple of miles outside the city.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Regional accents have to be maintained, it’s such a shame a lot have become diluted these days. There also is a huge amount of snobbish stigma attached to some truly wonderful dialects.

I blame the wannabe middle classes 😆

My mother has some good freinds from Dudley, they come over to stay with me occasionally on their way accross to France. It’s like having Hyacinth Bucket to stay.. For some reason it’s all dumbed down perceived English yet when they let rip amongst themselves it’s like poetry.

That’s what I think of regional accents, when two like tongued get together it’s like moving poetry..

Beautiful

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

People in the Black Country can barely understand what someone from 5 miles away is saying! From Stourbridge to Kingswinford is a notable change

True. An by thetie-yim yermin Pens-God-Nett all yowmearin’ is “Ar! Ar. God-ar!

singlespeedstu

Even Pens God Nett has gone upmarket these days.(Apart from the shooting a while back)
    It’s now known as Ponsnaye.
    Lower Gornal on the other hand is still full of scratters. 😉
    TBF I think the only truly Blackcountry places left are Cradley Bonk,Owd Ill and the paradise island of Tipn.

jamj1974

That’s what I think of regional accents, when two like tongued get together it’s like moving poetry..
    Beautiful

Regional accents are important and part of our culture. I love them.

singlespeedstu

when two like tongued get together it’s like moving poetry..

Mrsstu is a prime example of this. She lived her younger years in Macclesfield but can’t do a Macc accent to save her life. Until she starts talking to her brother or dad. Then i have no idea what she’s saying. 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Regional accents are important and part of our culture. I love them.

Agree wholeheartedly. And I say that as an RP speaker. My daughter is growing up in West Lancashire so is in the heart of the Wigan/Scouse collision.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Regional accents are important and part of our culture.

Quite right. It helps at a stroke to distinguish us what speak the Queen’s English from the lower common classes.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

… us what (sic) dun spake the Queen’s English from the lower common classes.

FTFY 8)

manton69

Me old mon cud tell which un them pictewereque fishing villages of the Black Country yow were frum just accent. Some of the words are very local and are said so fast you would have trouble keeping up.

I love all of the different language that was used in all of the different industries. Most of the industries are gone, but some of the language still gets used.

loddrik
    Free Member

To appreciate just how localised the scouse accent is.

Witness…

Liverpool.

St Helens. ( A couple of miles up the road from Huyton)

CountZero

general Northwestern

Anywhere past Cheltenham is the North as far as I’m concerned!

nwill1
    Free Member

Born and bread 2 miles outside a ‘Dugly’ in Netherton.

Love it at it ar.

Some if my fav Black Country jokes…

One day Ayli looked over his garden fence to see his pal Aynuk digging a hole.

” Wot yow dewin arr kid “asked Ayli
    ” Arm burryin the goldfish ay I ” Aynuk replied.
    ” Its a bloody big ole fer a fish ay it” said Ayli.
    ” Well its in yower cat ay it” said Aynuk !

kimbers

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8mzWkuOxz8[/video]

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘The brummie accent….’ is closed to new replies.