Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The British Institute/Koma Lingua are a shoddy enterprise…
  • alpin
    Free Member

had a job offer and accepted it.

sat on a train for 21 hours to arrive in italy the friday before last. went for a ride in the appalachians on the sunday.

had a meeting on monday where i was shown the work calender. i'd have 5(!) hours work the first week and 7 the next.

i'd to be paid a garunteed 600€/month for 60 hours work. if you worked over 60 hours you got paid overtime. fair enough.

although, as i would have been lucky to get 30 hours, let alone 60, i'd then owe the 'school' 30 hours the next month. so if i was lucky enough to work 75 hours the next month i'd still only get paid 600€ and still end up owing them 15 hours.

after tax, accomodation and bills i'd have around 45€ a week.

i asked if there was more work in the pipeline and they said bluntly 'no'. so YTF did they ask me to come down? the've already two english teachers there. in the last two weeks one of them haad managed only 26 hours. there's barely enough work for two, let alone three…!

so i left my two classes that i had before leaving to someone else. i'm now back and with no work. the whole shitty experience has cost me 350€ in train fares and accomodation and what little work i had before i left.

if anyone is ever in Civitanova, Italy can you please shit through their letter box.

scaredypants

I don't see your problem, they'll pay you what they said you would for doing fewer hours than you expected

You may end up owing them "hours" but there's not enough work to go round so they're unlikely to ask for them to be worked

What did I miss??

alpin
    Free Member

guy said there'd be more then 60 hours and that they were really busy. he lied.

i lost out.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/time-to-give-up-the-mtb#post-796791

mrexkoma
    Free Member

Alpin, you are completely right! These people are liars! They promise, make you go all the way to their schools and then they tell you that the terms and conditions are different.

I know about 7 teachers that had the same problem, but not only in Italy! Also in the Basque Country with a woman called Martha. Incredible!

When they need teachers they just lie and then hope you will stay. How can we help other teachers not to fall in the same situation?

Please write me and let me know what you think. Mrexkoma@gmail.com

Thank you for your post!

mrexkoma
    Free Member

hey scaredypants! In my case, they wanted to DISCOUNT the hours that I didn´t teach because of cancellations or other reasons…….. abuse, thats what I call it!

mrexkoma
    Free Member

Just had news from another teacher. Same situation. Promised more than what they really get. Now she has to save money to go back home.

Beware!

tails
    Free Member

😕

mrexkoma
    Free Member

One more! God! these people are terrible! Will they ever learn?

mrexkoma
    Free Member

Anotherone bites the dust! Same place same situation!

Beware

donsimon
    Free Member

i’d to be paid a garunteed 600€/month for 60 hours work. if you worked over 60 hours you got paid overtime. fair enough.

You’re an English teacher? 😯

That’s a real bummer, but you should know by now that English teachers are treated very badly.

I remember the letter outlining the working practices of Berlitz, ‘you will do this’ and ‘you will do that’, not me matey. You can ask me, but not order me!

I’m starting to see an upturn and have to turn work down at the moment.
    Although there nothing is sure, check out the schools before committing to anything, common sense, no?

And good luck with whatever happens.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘The British Institute/Koma Lingua are a shoddy enterprise…’ is closed to new replies.