Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 191 total)
  • The Breville Toasted Sandwich Maker and other such 80's wonders
  • thetallpaul
    Free Member

I’ve found that Stork cooking marg gives the best browned toastie from our original Breville. Still going strong after 20 odd years. Don’t make ’em like they used to. 🙂

ninfan
    Free Member

My favourite was left over curry

This is for absolute winners!

Left over cooked mince (ie shepherds pie type mince with carrot onion and gravy) makes for a treat too, esp. With a dash of brown sauce

mogrim

Pieface – Member
    Enjoy

Vintage British Argos 1985 Catalogue

Cheers, that’s a half hour happily wasted 🙂

Pieface

I think there are links to other editions too

senorj

Butter the outside of bread.

This is very important. My Nana’s cheese and onion where divine.
    Bean toasties were a major seller in a dodgy cornershop when I was at school .
    They also sold single fags to the bad lads.

Cougar

Damn you lot. I’ve just spent a chunk of my lunchtime eyeing up these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Breville-Sandwich-Toaster-Stainless-Steel/dp/B00KM15VWY

Nick

I bought my wife one of these for her birthday as a bit of a joke, she still uses it though 🙂

Tallpaul

My Parent’s still have this exact sandwich toaster in regular use. The removable plates and the fact it doesn’t halve the bread make it the perfect tool for the job. Is there a modern equivalent?

Stoner
    Free Member

that’s the one I got nick.

not as good as the heavy old thing, but it seems to work OK.

_tom_
    Free Member

For sweet, nutella and peanut butter. For savoury, cheese and pickle (just make sure you let it cool otherwise it’ll be hotter than the sun inside).

lemonysam
    Free Member

My Parent’s still have this exact sandwich toaster in regular use. The removable plates and the fact it doesn’t halve the bread make it the perfect tool for the job. Is there a modern equivalent?

http://www.breville.com.au/the-big-onetm.html

or camp-fire compatible: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Lane-Products-011-Toasted/dp/B000H7DEYA

MSP

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Breville-VST051X-Sandwich-removable-plates/dp/B00FLJEX26/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424097969&sr=8-1&keywords=Breville+VST051X

lemonysam
    Free Member

OMG¬!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_-Tc05IC-g[/video]

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Stuff the titanium 2 shot espresso makers and milk frothers, this is the kind of thing that should be on the STW Bivi threads!

bob_summers

Thread needs more vegetables.

Rap’Tou is for you…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b4RGR82ugw[/video]

binners

Just out of interest, has anyone ever used these? Making toasties in your toaster? Whats not to like? Though obviously beans or eggs are a non-starter.

Tallpaul

Amazing. Cheers!

donald
    Free Member

Condensed milk toasties for the ultimate napalm experience.

Stoner
    Free Member

**** YEAH!!!

First time lucky!

soft yolk (not too runny).

Two yolks, one in each half. Large eggs, opened into half and allow the “wetter” albumen to go down the plug hole.

jota180
    Free Member

Just out of interest, has anyone ever used these? Making toasties in your toaster? Whats not to like? Though obviously beans or eggs are a non-starter.

Pubs used to do toasties in some sort of non-melting plastic bag, but I think you’d have to turn your toaster on its side for anything like that.

ste_t
    Free Member

Used to live on toasted sarnies when I was young and poor. Sometimes I couldn’t afford owt to put in them so had 7p noodles instead.

Bolognaise sauce and cheese is a winner.

Cougar

Used to live on toasted sarnies when I was young and poor. Sometimes I couldn’t afford owt to put in them so had 7p noodles instead.

Pot Noodle Toasties! Gods, why have I never thought of that before?!

I’ve just added a sandwich toaster to my wedding list, I’m half tempted to cross it off and grab one on the way home now.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Yes, oddly they belonged to the same girl who was a ninja with the eggs. Whenever I used them I ended up with two slices of damp toast and a bag full of cheese but she could work them like a pro. Maybe she had some kind of natural affinity with toasted bread products?

Stoner
    Free Member

and you didnt marry her?

binners

I’ve just ordered a sandwich toaster. First thing I’m trying is definitely egg toasties. I reckon a couple of cheese singles would be the perfect addition. Everything tastes better with added cheese singles 😀

chrisdw
    Free Member
    jota180
    Free Member

Making a toastie with eggy bread should be a goer and tasty too

lemonysam
    Free Member

and you didnt marry her?

Alas, she also had a natural affinity for the fairer sex.

binners

Do you think the two natural affinities were somehow inexplicably linked?

That us blokes will be forever denied the pleasure’s of the toastie ninja?

Stoner
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a sandwich toaster.

There’s an inevitability about that…

at £4.79 this one actually costs less than an M&S sandwich 🙂

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9015814.htm

lemonysam
    Free Member

Do you think the two natural affinities were somehow inexplicably linked?

That us blokes will be forever denied the pleasure’s of the toastie ninja?
    It truly is a cruel world. Maybe I could get her to take me on as an apprentice? It would mean moving to that London though.

binners

I’ve been wildly extravagant Stoner, and gone for this bad boy…

Hopefully I’ll get the same masterful results as yourself on my first egg toastie attempt. Mrs Binners has just stated she will be attempting to burn the roof of here mouth off when it arrives, with a cheese and bean toastie

Stoner
    Free Member

Maybe I could get her to take me on as an apprentice?

I think you’ve possibly got the wrong tools to be her apprentice.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Cheese with tomato and corned beef for double superheated mouth burning action.

<quietly goes off to google image toastie-based pawn>

binners

I’ve just realised that neither of my daughters have ever experienced the dubious pleasures of the Breville toastie. I’ve been neglecting my duties as a parent. Someone should phone social services. Its cruel really. 😥

I reckon that our households already monumental Nutella consumption could soon be reaching even dizzier heights soon though

lemonysam
    Free Member

toastie-based pawn

Perhaps the 70s muffs were just to protect the equipment from melted cheese injuries?

Bunnyhop

Our ‘wedding list’ Breville toastie maker still gets used, occasionally.
    Tonight it’s definitely coming out of the cupboard.

Favourite filling is: cheese, onion, ham, tomato (or a few baked beans), thickly buttered bakery’s own thinly sliced brown bread. Can’t wait now.

johndoh
    Free Member

Another one that is amazing – cheese and pickled onion.

And scrape the crispy bits of cheese that inevitably pour out of the sandwich and burn on the plates.

I’ve just realised that neither of my daughters have ever experienced the dubious pleasures of the Breville toastie.

Mine is actually only a humble George Formby, but one of my little girls loves cheese and ham toasties from it. She also loves cheese and ham omelettes. Good girl.

Tracey

We got ours as a wedding present 25 years ago. It must be an industrial one with the weight of it. It takes 8 slices of thick bread and masses of filling. It gets used on a very regular basis. On Saturday we had cheese, chorizo and chicken ones. It was put in the loft last year as we bought a newer version however we kept breaking the handle clamps with putting too much in it and so its back to its rightful place in the kitchen. The girls love them after a day out on the bikes.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 191 total)

The topic ‘The Breville Toasted Sandwich Maker and other such 80's wonders’ is closed to new replies.