Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 191 total)
  • The Breville Toasted Sandwich Maker and other such 80's wonders
  • Stoner
    Free Member

I had a hankering for a toasted sandwich the other day, so in passing Argos went and got one.

For how long can I realistically live off Toasted Sarnies as my sole source of nutrition? If I borrow my brother’s Soda Stream I reckon I can keep going from 1982 until at least the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Anyone got any blinding recipes?

Just need to get one of those revival Big Tracks now to transport the toasties around the house.

lemonysam
    Free Member

For how long can I realistically live off Toasted Sarnies as my sole source of nutrition?

Ever wondered why an undergraduate degree takes 3 years?

edit: a lass I lived with used to butter the bread well then crack an egg in and grate cheese on top with some lee and perrins before sealing. It was damned tasty but when I tried everything went everywhere so you may needto practice.

johndoh
    Free Member

Cheese and baked beans.

#endofthread

Stoner
    Free Member

I have found sweet chilli sauce on anything works very well.

lemony – how do you fit an egg in the little half a slice pocket?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Cheese and baked beans #endofthread

Oh no. Catastrophic and fundamental fail here.

Cheese – of course. Beans – absolutely not. I don’t know what happens to beans when clamped betwixt Breville hot plates – but it’s bad. I think some enzymes are released that unwind their DNA helix and render them mingin’.

This one sounds dirty but is awesome.

Corned beef and cheddar. Do it!

martinhutch

Cheese, a very small amount of beans, and tomato puree…

MSP

It’s got to be the classic, bacon (pre grilled) cheese and mushrooms.

antigee

so in passing Argos went and got one.

pretty sure it would have been a “panini press” unless you took the aisle marked “life on mars”

martinhutch

Got to get a decent strong one though. I bought some cheap generic and the catch wasn’t strong enough to hold in all my many fillings.

66deg
    Free Member

Acorns.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BYvPzTYd3Mo[/video]

joshvegas
    Free Member

A bit of pre molding is required for adequate egg retention.

I got them runny egg toastie mastered after a number of attempts at uni.

Nutella and marshmallow for desert

Stoner
    Free Member

“panini press”

in Argos? Not a chance.

My tightarse tendencies nearly made me go for the no-brand £5 one, but my head said get he entry level Breville one. Catch seems OK, and you can give it a damn good crimp when it’s stuffed.

MrSparkle

Get with it – you can do all this sort of stuff on the ultra modern George Formby.

joshvegas
    Free Member

More importantly has anyone found any actual bread thats he correct shape nowadays?

maccruiskeen

Anyone got any blinding recipes?

field mushrooms, butter, garlic and parsley

Or… I used to cook this in a pan but I must translate to a breville with out too much fuss

Dip the bread in egg on one side and cook egg-side-out.
    Inside have ham, gruyere, banana and creme fraische.

Stoner
    Free Member

josh – is it one egg per half pocket (i.e. 4 eggs per session?)

Surely the sandwich slice ones must fit right?

banana

gag!

lemonysam
    Free Member

lemony – how do you fit an egg in the little half a slice pocket?

That’s what I never got. Looking back, maybe she only did the yolk, or at least not the whole egg – or maybe she just used small eggs.

jota180
    Free Member

For the eggs you need one that doesn’t half the bread slice

lemonysam
    Free Member

For the eggs you need one that doesn’t half the bread slice

Nope, ours was half slice so it can definitely be done.

Stoner
    Free Member

dammit!

I might have a go at beating an egg and halving it into the two clamshells.

how many eggs though lemony?

maccruiskeen

More importantly has anyone found any actual bread thats he correct shape nowadays?

What you need is a loaf of supermarket Tiger Bread -split dorsoventrally- and a corby trouser press

lemonysam
    Free Member

how many eggs though lemony?

Well I there was definitely yolk in every bit so it must have been one in each segment.

Cougar

Guys, this is STW, I are disappoint. The solution is obvious, you need niche single-speed artisan eggs.

Under three quid at Tesco, fill your boots Brevilles.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

The problem with modern ones is they cut the sandwich in half diagonally. My folks have one (prob from the 80’s) which doesn’t. An egg in those is spectacularly good!

Ham and pineapple.

The classic cheese and pickle.

Nutella and peanut butter.

Butter on the inside. Butter and sugar on the outside.

An rabbit went to a cafe and asked for a ham and mustard toasted sandwich. He worked it down and asked for a cheese and tomato one. After demolishing that, he asked for a corned beef and HP sauce toasted sandwich. As soon as it touched his lips he fell down dead….

A terrible case of mixinmetoasties!

maccruiskeen

banana
    gag!

What on earth are you doing with the banana? I think everyone else peels them and slices them.

joshvegas
    Free Member

small eggs and you can get one in each side.

I always seem to end up with an unsealed edge these days where the crust doesn’t extend.

Method for egg toastie…

place bottom bread piece squarely on base push bread down and into the corners compress slightly too as it gives more room crack egg into the hollow sprinkles with a small amount of anchovies if you aren’t a wimp and plenty of black pepper.

lay the second slice on topgently allowing for the nudge forward that enevitably happens when closing.

when you close it you have to be pretty deft and get it sealed before it leaks much.

even if the yoke pops it won’t mix if you are fast enough.

timing wise… you’re going to have to trial and error. overcooked is the best way to start then bring the time down or you just end up with alot of wasted eggs bread.

bearnecessities

Butter the outside of bread.

Insert spicy sardines & cheese within bread.

Burn roof of mouth and create skin-flap-pudding.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member
    jota180
    Free Member

Apart from not buttering the outside of the bread, this guy did ok and used an edible gasket.
    Not sure about tomato purée though

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrYIgtA5nIE[/video]

derek_starship
    Free Member

Minute steak with cheddar and onion.

Although you may well have to be Sam Tyler to find a
    purveyor of minute steaks. Where on a cow is the minute?

IHN

Bolognaise sauce.

allthepies
    Free Member

I lived on cheese/ham and spaghetti toasties for one year at uni. Managed to break at least one toastie machine trying to clamp it down 🙂

binners

Eggs? Beans? You freaks!!

Beans in a toastie will surely come out hotter than the surface of the sun?

The perfect toastie is cheese and bacon (bacon cooked before popping in between the bread) The bacon can be substituted for ham in an emergency.

Derek – I’m definitely giving the cheese, onion and minute steak one a go!

Pieface

Enjoy

Vintage British Argos 1985 Catalogue

thomthumb
    Free Member

i see your toastie maker and raise you a pie magic

IA

Ham and pineapple as mentioned above.

If you’re into the danger-snack, then golden syrup makes for a cracking toastie. There’s a massive risk of burning here though, accept that you’re attempting to eat a (tasty) napalm sandwich and proceed with the appropriate caution! And don’t blame me when you melt your face off.

You can also use a pop tart as part of the filling in a toastie. Just saying like.

Stoner
    Free Member

do they even make pop tarts any more?

lemonysam
    Free Member

do they even make pop tarts any more?

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=256434964

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Corned beef and branston’s pickle. Heaven in a superheated, burn the lining from the top of your mouth kind of way.

Use any left over corned beef for hash.

Dirty food, mmmmmm!

cheers_drive

My favourite was left over curry with a little bit of cheese around the edges to ensure it seals. Like all toasties the filling is hotter than the sun.

If your arteries have the capacity the best toasties are buttered on the outside before toasting.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 191 total)

The topic ‘The Breville Toasted Sandwich Maker and other such 80's wonders’ is closed to new replies.