Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The Brecon beast
  • Ringo
    Free Member

Thinking of having a go at this, what’s the riding like? Technical? Road ? Is it fun ?
    Cheers

quantockspaul
    Free Member

I’ve done it the last 3 years and think it’s great. There are road link sections, (perhaps 15-20%) inc about an 10k lead out before you hit the dirt. Not overly technical but there are some big hills and some big rocks around the Brecons so expect it to be hard going and by the time you’ve done 80k, simple things become technical. IME hooning down from the gap can get pretty sketchy and wet weather can make ground conditions massively challenging.
    It used to be just over 100k but is around 80/85 now I think but still a beast!

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Please report back, I too would like to do the route.

creamegg
    Free Member

Im doing my first Beast this year, although ive done some sections a few times. Really looking forward to it

Ringo
    Free Member

Ill be doing the short version about 40 mile I think

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve only missed a couple since it started. Nothing to technical, but the riding is on par with most other marathon type events. Main thing though your riding through one of the most scenic parts of the UK. It’s a genuine classic event, do it once at least before you die.

eskay

I have done it several times and I love it. Some people moan that there are too many road sections but I think the blend is OK.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

The route used the last few years has less road and overall a better route.
    The first and last bits to get out of the town are on the road and a couple of shorter bits in between. I made the “long” route 84km last year.

crosshair
    Free Member

I’m in a state of hyper-excitement about this years event 😀
    Last year was my first and I rocked up on a 15y old GT having not cycled for years and thoroughly enjoyed it. I went over the bars coming down the gap descent but didn’t break anything so pressed on.

Been back in training for 4 weeks, already lost a stone and got my power levels back up to last years if not greater. I’m also riding a much nicer bike.
    I’m sticking with the 40miler though and aiming for four hours.

Both courses are on Strava Short route here

There’s a few snippets on YouTube too to wet your appetite.

I know its just a big fun ride but there’s something about it that left me addicted! The huge entry (circa 1000 this year I believe?) , the inspiring scenery and the very friendly marshals mean it is a pleasure to be out there.

creamegg
    Free Member

The gap descent will be towards the last quarter then? Hoping the field is well spread out when i hit that.

alwillis

Thinking of going for a last minute entry on the short. Where is the camping on the Saturday?

silversladey
    Free Member

I am doing the long route, does anybody no the positioning of feed stations, bottle hopefully but dont want to dry out !!!

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

alwillis – Member
    Thinking of going for a last minute entry on the short. Where is the camping on the Saturday?

In the field right opposite the sports ground (start) if its in the same place as 2011. Didn’t ride last year, but will be there on Sunday. Really good spirited event. Will be taking it at a leisurely pace and a good chance to catch up with an old riding mate I don’t see very often.

I’d like to know who ordered the rain?

quantockspaul
    Free Member

Looking like the long route is 97k this year.
    As for rain, someone went and mentioned using semi-slicks, though the course doesn’t usually suffer much with deep mud (hope I don’t regret saying that now, as I’m planning on sticking with my half worn cross mark rear and ikon front)

crosshair
    Free Member

Well, I learned a lot today! Like, even though I can sprint up small rises at a constantly accelerating pace around here, a 14stone guy is always gonna get out climbed in the mountains 😀

Pleased with 3h36m though 🙂 12.2mph average. Stayed pretty dry too!

Great day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘The Brecon beast’ is closed to new replies.