Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The breathtaking ignorance of an American politician
  • SaxonRider

Please listen to this radio clip from the CBC in which a Canadian journalist interviews an American politician from Iowa who wants to ban Canadians from driving in the USA.

Shy of it being a joke, I can’t believe my ears!

As you listen, bear in mind that this is what the 401 running through Toronto looks like:

perchypanther
    Free Member

Turned it off the second he claimed that Americans invented the car. 😯

Numpties gonna numpt.

SaxonRider

Oh, but perchy, you have to listen to it all the way to the end. Apparently, Canadians drive 110 mph, and on the opposite side of the road to Americans. 😯

Please, if only for the laugh!

amedias
    Free Member

difficult to listen to…must be a joke surely?

Highlights include him saying Candanians are unsafe as they drive waaaay faster as their freeway limit is 110, where as the Americans drive at ‘a conservative 65miles per hour’. And then him not understanding that one is in KM, one in miles

He is also adamant that Canada doesn’t have big freeways, when told outright they do have freeways just like the US, the retorts that “You may think you do, but I don’t believe you do”

He is also convinced that the Canadians drive on the other side of the road, and turns round to check with an advisor when told that’s not true.

Also saying that Canadians also won’t be able to cope with the difference in roads as they all drive on gravel roads…

I find it hard to beleive this is real, it’s just too outrageous, it’s also pretty much the only hit in Google relating to this or the guy in question, check your sources…I think you might have been done SaxonRider 😉

GrahamS

Post-truth politics at it’s finest.

Notice the heavy use of “belief”, “believe” and “my understanding”.

No actual facts or figures to support his claim and the facts offered to dispute it are just dismissed off hand.

I bet he gets a lot of public support for his bill.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Only because you asked nicely, I did listen to it all the way through and I think it’s turned me into a Canadian.

Well, maybe not….but I did find myself saying “Eh?” a lot.

I’m appalled but not even slightly surprised. I was once told by an American in Cancun that I spoke remarkably good English.

GrahamS

Could be Poe’s Law.

Google suggests “This is That” is a satire show.
    I think they were the guys that did the TED-talk style “Thought Leader” video)

richmtb

I’m appalled but not even slightly surprised. I was once told by an American in Cancun that I spoke remarkably good English.

While wearing a kilt i was once asked by an American what part of Wales I was from.

I pointed out that the kilt was in fact Scottish

No says he, that kilt is green and everyone knows that green kilts mean you are from Wales

Touche sir i must be from Aberystwyth.

Not sure if the radio clip was a spoof or not but it’s believable either way

taxi25
    Free Member

amedias has it LOL.I know your a good Canadian James.
    But
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_That

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I think I must have tuned into this programme on my recent visit to Canada. Had this pompous guy on saying hobbies should be restricted to a single activity and the time saved used to work extra hard to help the economy recover. Gist of it was that hobbies were a terrible distraction and were pulling the economy back without a thought for all the cash poured into the economy via hobbies. Caused a heck of a lot of outrage from people who didn’t realise it was a spoof. I am of course assuming it WAS a spoof! Was very funny all the same.

vinnyeh

Out of curiosity, did you do any due diligence before posting?

Or should the title really be “the breathtaking ignorance of an STW OP’er” 😆

I may be jumping the gun a bit, and setting myself up fro a fall, but aside from this I can’t find any mention of this fellow in the usual places on the interwebz.

stumpyjon

Chances of doing 110 on the 401 is nil, it’s just like the M60 doubled, 2 lots of 4 lanes going slowly.

Mercans……hmmmmmm……bible belt, but then look at Russians, believe in Putin, North Koreans! French are pretty self deluded, and then theres us thinking we’re still a world power and can piss every one in Europe off and successfully go it alone, muppets everywhere, we still have a lot of evolving to do to get to where we think we are.

gobuchul
    Free Member

It’s a spoof.

A very funny one.

Made me think of this one

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T587NHM-f9o[/video]

SaxonRider

Out of curiosity, did you do any due diligence before posting?

Of course not. I’m aiming for the ‘Forum Clown’ title.

molgrips
    Free Member

Doing pretty well, I reckon 🙂

Although I get snoped regularly by my sister in law on FB.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

This is That is an award winning satirical current affairs show that doesn’t just talk about the issues, it fabricates them.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘The breathtaking ignorance of an American politician’ is closed to new replies.