Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The brake upgrade saga continues
  • Conan257
    Free Member

The next step on my upgrade program…

Cash wont stretch to a full set, but I’m looking at a new front and probably wait till next month for the rear.

CRC has great deals on the Elixir CR Mag and Carbon, Mag is £109 and Carbon is £100.

Is the Mag worth the extra £9? Or is it taking weight that i’m not going to notice and adding in other issues like lack of adjusters and reliability issues?

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Or I’ll sell you a set of 09 formula megas for £145 delivered.. (no rotors).

tommid
    Free Member

Have you seen the new SLX in fresh goods? I’d wait and get them.

iBaa
    Free Member

If the Formula megas are still available I may be interested.

Any chance of some photos?

Conan257
    Free Member

Not interested in the Formulas, thanks.

One would argue why one would purchase SLX brakes when one is shopping at CR Mag level…

robhughes
    Free Member

cr,s £188 the pair at merlin
    carbons are £197
    just sign up for the VIP thigumy…

Conan257
    Free Member

Missed my point.

If the CR’s are £188, the Carbons £197, and the Mags £218…

Is it worth spending the extra for the Carbons or Mags????????

hexhamstu
    Free Member

didn’t say that the megas are actually brand new, in the box.

bol

The mags are a different brake. Work with the matchmaker x clamps and are a fair bit lighter. Probably not quite as robust as the crs though, being magnesium.

curlie467
    Free Member

One would argue why one would purchase SLX brakes when one is shopping at CR Mag level…

Because under the bikeradar tests, the SLX are more powerful plus they will undoubtedly be more reliable, the classic fit and forget stuff.

I would go for Shimano brakes every day over Avids, the only brakes i would consider buying over Shimano would be Formulas the one.

tony24
    Free Member

Hold out for new xt imo chance to save. Avids are not worth the hassle

Conan257
    Free Member

The Avids look nice and the weight is good… But I’m struggling to get over the massively mixed reviews…

Starting to think I should jus go back to Hopes after I’ve saved a few pennies. Reliable braking i’m used to as well as the ease of maintenance. Albeit for a few quid more than other brakes.

curlie467
    Free Member

That is mainly the issue i have with Avids, the reviews definitely are mixed (weighing heavily towards a pain in the backside).

I like reliable too hence why i recommend Shimano.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Theres a set of formula R1X (R1 levers with RX callipers – typically off the Lapierre) on flabby at the minute for £175 BIN …

M6TTF
    Free Member

To add balance – I have elixirs on both bikes and apart from new pads and a bleed they’ve been faultless – love em

heuer27
    Free Member

I’ve had avids , shimano and now Formula . Without doubt the Formula’s have been the best performing brake so far. They are on a par power wise with shimano Saint brakes I had on my bike bike but much lighter.These are only Oro’s with 185mm rotors. Brilliant apart from having to juggle my shifters about to get a good fit.

Conan257
    Free Member

Yeah, taking the very long route around, but its looking more like i’m going to go back to Hope…

Its going on a single speed so there’s no requirement for massive braking power, but I do need relative lightweight and reliability. Not to forget ease of maintenance which I dont think Avids would suit.

Unless, of course, a deal comes up that I cant resist.

Conan257
    Free Member

While i’m thinking of it…

If I bought a hope X2, would it work with my Avid 160 disc and IS to post adaptor?

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Hope brakes and reliability? I think you’ve confused the great reliability of their hubs with the poor reliability of their brakes.

Conan257
    Free Member

Hmmm…

Never had any problems with the XC4’s on my old Blur…

God damn you people for throwing spanners in my otherwise flawless plans! 😛

uplink
    Free Member

Hope brakes and reliability? I think you’ve confused the great reliability of their hubs with the poor reliability of their brakes.

I must have had 7 or 8 sets of Hope’s on a dozen bikes over the years without a single failure

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Sticking pistons, sticking levers. I’ve had both.

njee20
    Free Member

If you like XC4s you’ll probably like the Avids, as you apparently have very perverse opinions on brakes.

Shimano over Avid every time, the last few years Avid have gone to the dogs IMO.

takisawa2

Having had Juicies & now Elixirs I’ll be going for Hope X2’s when I can afford it. Much as I hoped they had improved I’m afraid to say the Elixirs are as, if not worse than, the Juicies in terms of quality. The sticky piston thing is still there, likewise rattly levers after no time, & crap paint finish. I had Tech M4 & X2’s but had to sell on due to cash flow, but quality wise they were spot on. The Tech levers are a bit OTT, so I’d go for the normal ones. And the back-up of Hope is another factor.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘The brake upgrade saga continues’ is closed to new replies.