Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • The billion pound footballer
  • withersea
    Free Member

So silly season has finished and players are going for £100m in Europe.

In 1979 England had it’s first £1m player (Trevor Francis).

So in 38 years football has gone from £1m to £100m+

So how long before there is a £1 billion player?

mattyfez

As long as the drones keep buying tickets/subscriptions and merchandise.

My mates got a Huddersfield season ticket, and he’s obviously loving it right now.

Jamie
    Free Member

Drones?

Sometimes I forgot how snobby this place is.

Drac

Sometime just after Brexit to buy an European player for 100m Euros.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Sometimes I forgot how snobby this place is.

The only true sports are Boxing, Motorcycle racing, Rugby and Mountaineering – oh and hunting naked working class women grouse with Fabbri over and unders.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Football is perhaps the most regressive aspect of modern society. Transferring vast sums from low income sectors to a very narrow and rich few. And it’s all done/accepted willingly. How bizarre is that??

muggomagic

Is it much different to TV, film or music industry? Other sports do the same too. Boxing makes vast sums for the elite in the sport from PPV events.

bikebouy
    Free Member

At work at this time every year this topic comes up… you can tell I get interested by my right raised eyebrow. But we always come out with the same conclusion..

The football industry is very top heavy and we all wonder when it’ll crash around its training grounds… the same conversations have been taking place as far back as I remember.. and I’ve been working for 25 years now.

I expect no change and lots of consternation in respect of the vast amounts of money involved and the socioeconomic consequences (or lack thereof)

Sandwich

PSG paid that €222million on €521 million of turnover. Extrapolation would suggest that a club need around 2 – 3 billion in turnover to pay a billion for a player. Crazy money for knocking a ball about for fun.

maccruiskeen

So silly season has finished and players are going for £100m in Europe.

About the same price as DUP MP then 🙂

Is it much different to TV, film or music industry?

A little different but a similar principle. The sales / ticket money /TV deals are driven by the ‘talent’ so the more money there is coming into the industry the more players / actors / musicians can demand.

The differences though is there aren’t the issues of intellectual property rights – a piece of music or a work of drama can have multiple authors, rights holders, investors and stakeholders. Theres also a difference in production costs – compared to a formula 1 team, or a hollywood movie the production costs for a football match are pretty trivial. So all that money going into the game from TV, sponsorship and tickets has nowhere it can legitimately go other than to the players (via a big chunk for their agent obis).

johndoh
    Free Member

The only true sports are Boxing…

Err yeah right, for sure.

It’s the biggest money-making circus there is.

flange
    Free Member

On another note my step daughter plays for the Chelsea girls team (under 12’s). Obviously there is an under 12’s boys team too. They both get kits provided, however the boys get football boots and the girls don’t. Now don’t get me wrong, the amount of Nike dryfit kit they get given is mental and it’s not like we’re ungrateful, however I can’t help but feel that providing boots to the boys and not the girls is….a bit 1970’s…

v8ninety

but feel that providing boots to the boys and not the girls is….a bit 1970’s…

Surely illegal?!? FFS in this day and age, that’s shocking. It’s not like Chelsea are strapped for cash, either.

binners

Martin Sorrell (Chief Executive Officer of WPP)

Annual salary – £70 million

We live in an advanced capitalist society. Footballers, as in other field, get paid vast sums of money dependent on the revenue they generate. This is vast! A global audience of billions. So the wages and transfer fees reflect this.

We were discussing transfers/wages last night. The Ox has just gone to Liverpool for £120,000 a week. Which is is a hell of a lot of money. But then he was offered £180,00 a week by Chelski. He didn’t go for the money. He went to the club he was a fan of as a kid, where he’ll get a game in the position he prefers.

And most of these players come from working class backgrounds. Watch the documentary on Ronaldo (made by the same people who did Senna). He was dragged up in abject poverty. His dad was an alcoholic, and his brother a heroin addict. He got to be the ridiculously rich and superbly skilled through a lifetime of obsessive dedication and commitment. So I don’t have a problem paying my Sky subscription to watch him play.

Moaning about the money in football is like throwing your shoes at the sky to protest about clouds

I know that the usual suspcts on here hold up Rugby as a sport of gentlemen and all that bollocks, but at the end of the day its a niche sport watched by a comparatively tiny audience

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I love football me

binners

This made me laugh

You’ve got to love Keano! 😆

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Hey at least we arent in the realms off American sport just yet (Well when I say American sport I mean NFL… although I’m guessing may well be the same in others)

Where the amount a player makes is publically lauded and seen as a good thing.

Matt Stafford, QB for the Detroit Lions, last week became the highest paid player… in a $135m, 5 year deal…. £400k a week… and the Official NFL FB/web page could not have been happier.

Last night “DeAndre Hopkins is about to get PAID” read the FB post … £240k a week.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

He got to be the ridiculously rich and superbly skilled through a lifetime of obsessive dedication and commitment

Agreed and should apply to anyone whatever their job – but rarely does!

Rockape63
    Free Member

He got to be the ridiculously rich and superbly skilled through a lifetime of obsessive dedication and commitment
    Agreed and should apply to anyone whatever their job – but rarely does!

Forget all of that….. it’s talent that is the key, everything else is details!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Football is perhaps the most regressive aspect of modern society. Transferring vast sums from low income sectors to a very narrow and rich few. And it’s all done/accepted willingly. How bizarre is that??

+1…

Quite objectionable really, but hey you pays your money & takes your choice.

Personally, I find the £££ in football very repellent.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Top Pop singers/ bands, top Actors, top TV stars, top Racing Drivers, Boxers etc etc

They all derive their income from the masses!

ransos
    Free Member

Football is perhaps the most regressive aspect of modern society. Transferring vast sums from low income sectors to a very narrow and rich few.

Accumulation of capital by the rich is usually something you applaud. I guess the problem is that in this case, the people making the money are working class.

jimjam
    Free Member

binners – Member

And most of these players come from working class backgrounds. Watch the documentary on Ronaldo (made by the same people who did Senna). He was dragged up in abject poverty. His dad was an alcoholic, and his brother a heroin addict. He got to be the ridiculously rich and superbly skilled through a lifetime of obsessive dedication and commitment. So I don’t have a problem paying my Sky subscription to watch him play.

So he dedicated a huge amount of time and effort at becoming good at something so he could get rich. Kim Kardashian dedicated a huge amount of time and effort into posting pictures of her ass on instagram and fellating rappers to make herself incredibly rich and famous. I guess she should be applauded too.

I know that the usual suspcts on here hold up Rugby as a sport of gentlemen and all that bollocks, but at the end of the day its a niche sport watched by a comparatively tiny audience

Popularity and legitimacy aren’t the same thing. Sometimes they’re inverse. What annoys me and presumably a lot of people about football is the all pervading and inescapable nature of it, and the attitude among fans that it is somehow important in general because it’s important to them.

Anyone who doesn’t follow the sport will know the awkwardness associated with trying to tell a stranger that you did not see “the match”. In most instances the taxi driver or random stranger at the bar or dad at the school gate will actually persist and try to tell you about “the match” anyway.

In order to avoid people telling you about soccer you have to tell them straight out – I do not watch soccer. This is usually accompanied by a puzzled or insulted expression on the face of the soccer bore. Occasionally a guessing game will ensue, “ah so you’re a rugby man” or over here “you follow the gaelic?”. At this point I tell them about the most obscure sport I’m interested in just to shut the conversation down.

I often wonder what it would be like to go around asking random strangers if they’d seen a recent downhill race or bjj tournament.

Gary_M
    Free Member

As long as the drones keep buying tickets/subscriptions and merchandise.

people are drones because they pay to watch something they enjoy? I’m not a football fan myself but certainly don’t think I’m superior to people who do.

ransos
    Free Member

So he dedicated a huge amount of time and effort at becoming good at something so he could get rich.

I’m sure that was his primary motivation. 🙄

Kim Kardashian dedicated a huge amount of time and effort into posting pictures of her ass on instagram and fellating rappers to make herself incredibly rich and famous. I guess she should be applauded too.

Yes, definitely the same thing. Though I can’t say her being rich bothers me in the slightest.

What annoys me and presumably a lot of people about football is the all pervading and inescapable nature of it,

Quite right. Just look at how you were forced to click on this thread and type a comment.

flange
    Free Member

It’s not like Chelsea are strapped for cash, either.

Recently signed a £900m deal with Nike apparently.

Jamie
    Free Member

On Reddit you can tag users with traits/keywords.

If we had this function here I would tag jimjam with ‘Mr Devil’s Advocate’

8)

geetee1972
    Free Member

That is the very definition of hegemony.

plyphon
    Free Member

Kim Kardashian dedicated a huge amount of time and effort into posting pictures of her ass on instagram and fellating rappers to make herself incredibly rich and famous.

Arguably she was already rich, so she did it for the fame. And tuned a huge profit along the way.

jimjam
    Free Member

plyphon – Member

Kim Kardashian dedicated a huge amount of time and effort into posting pictures of her ass on instagram and fellating rappers to make herself incredibly rich and famous.

Arguably she was already rich, so she did it for the fame. And tuned a huge profit along the way. [/quote]

Yeah but you have to admire her drive. Rich is only a relative term. A millionaire in beverly hills is basically dole scum. Gotta make them millions.

binners

Anyone who doesn’t follow the sport will know the awkwardness associated with trying to tell a stranger that you did not see “the match”.

U OK HUN? XX

ctk
    Free Member

I would guess another 15-20 years.

Football is a free market, players get sold for/ earn what they are worth. More transparent than most businesses.

muggomagic

At least in football (most sports for that matter) to get the big money you have to be very good at your job. The same cannot be said for Chief executives, pop stars or actors.

Rockape63
    Free Member

It is our National Sport BTW, so people chatting to others about it, is hardly like mentioning some obscure sport that has little national interest.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Football damages other sports, talented kids get a one track mind and then when the majority wash out of football they just drop sport altogether and just become that bloke in the pub who everyone knows who used to play for QPR (other teams available) U21’s.

At best they get back into it when they have their own kids and start coaching, only to reinforce the cycle.

I know nothing about football but butted in on a work conversation about players wages, it must have had some truth, at least one person agreed with me citing a couple of lads he knew.

footflaps

Football is perhaps the most regressive aspect of modern society. Transferring vast sums from low income sectors to a very narrow and rich few.

Accumulation of capital by the rich is usually something you applaud. I guess the problem is that in this case, the people making the money are working class. [/quote]

🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

binners – Member

U OK HUN? XX

I’m not saying the stereotype of soccer fans as boorish misogynists is accurate or anything but it seems a strangely regressive debating tactic to patronise and/or demasculinize someone by inferring female characteristics, just because they’ve been critical of soccer fans.

binners

I think your over-analysing things. Its a familiar American trait. I’m presuming you’re American as absolutely nobody outside the good ‘ol US of A calls it ‘soccer’

“IT’S A HEADSTRIKE IN THE SCOREZONE!!!!!!”

😀

jimjam
    Free Member

Ah okay. No traction by insinuating gender based weakness so you’ll switch and go ad hominem on someone’s culture?

binners

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘The billion pound footballer’ is closed to new replies.