Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)
  • The Big Sharp Knife Thread
  • councilof10
    Free Member

Not sure what it is about knives that fascinates – perhaps it’s the little lad in all of us – but I recently bought my nephew his first Swiss Army Knife for his 10th birthday, and seeing the joy on his face as he whittled a 2ft stick down to a sharp stump and a pile of shavings, it made me realise that the fascination never goes away…

So what do people carry? My main knife for woodland/garden duties is an Ontario RAT, with a classic Victorinox Spartan for everyday pocket duties…

I’m thinking of clicking ‘buy’ on a Böker Plus Gordito as I prefer single-blade lock knives – I know it’s not UK legal, but I can justify carrying one for work…

Any opinions on Böker knives? I have a Magnum ‘rescue knife’ on my kayaking PFD, and whilst a good little knife, it’s from their Chinese-made budget line…

perchypanther
    Free Member

He seemed like such a nice quiet chap, always kept himself to himself…….

weeksy

I can’t comprehend needing a knife other than either at meal times or in the garage.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I can’t comprehend needing a knife other than either at meal times or in the garage.

well duh…

jonnyboi

I was given a swiss army knife and an opinel as a boy, so that’s what I’ve bought ever since, the kids get ones too when they are old enough. Can’t imagine using anything else.

zippykona

Are you waiting for the Everton boys as well?

DrP

Machete FTW… Unless you’re playing golf, I suppose. then a golf stick..

DrP

(in reality, I, like you, like a good blade.. they ARE useful and fun. However, I don’t really carry one unless going on scout camp with the lad, or into the woods, or bivvying. Tha Boker does look nice though.

I tell a lie – My keyring has this on it – i backed the kickstarter a few years ago. so, i AM tooled up!)

perchypanther
    Free Member

I tell a lie – My keyring has this on it – i backed the kickstarter a few years ago. so, i AM tooled up!)

Emergency tracheotomy ahoy!

johnners
    Free Member

My keyring has this on it

Not legal carry, you utter hooligan.

big_scot_nanny

I don’t carry one all the time, but for camping, woods, fires, scouts etc, having a good knife that does the job well is a very good thing. Got a gert big knife from Daftvader/Ammonite, and a teeny one to go with it, and its bloody lovely:

councilof10
    Free Member

I’m not going to lie, it’s nice to know I’m tooled up come the zombie apocalypse, but the Ontario RAT is used daily in the wood for everything from cutting rope/twine to sharpening stakes, pruning etc.

I carry the SAK which probably gets used at least once a day at work – box opening, cutting bandit straps, nail clipping, digging out splinters…

The legality of a locking blade is an interesting debate – the majority of knife crime is committed with utility knives and fixed-blade kitchen knives. Locking knives are far safer – the only time I can remember doing myself any serious damage has been when a slip-lock blade has closed on my fingers!

ninfan
    Free Member

Been very impressed with the Steel on an EKA I got a couple of years ago, razor sharp and holds a good edge.

If I was buying a pocket knife tomorrow, it would be a Svord Peasant, every time.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Benchmade mini Grip
    Cold Steel Recon tanto

Leatherman Charge TTi, Skeletool CX, Juice SE, Micra

Swiss Army “climber” bought by my granddad when I was 11. (30 years ago)

somafunk

My big sharp knife that i carry everywhere is more of a small teeny knife that is clipped into my crumpler weenie bag, A Kershaw OD-2, but i’d quite like a kershaw D2 leek composite

councilof10
    Free Member

I’ve never handled a Svord, they seem to have a very loyal following but look far too “utilitarian” to me… Even a bit cheap.

I have a similar feeling towards Spiderco, I know the blades are very high regarded but the looks just don’t do it for me!

DrP

Not legal carry, you utter hooligan.

Ah, but it is..for the UK market they removed the locking mechanism, so it’s like a swiss army knife mechanism.

I’d have preferred the lock, tbh, but since i had a locking knife removed off me when I visited the Houses of Parliament (long story, I’d been doing up my house and had the locking knife clipped to my car keys, which I forgot about), the brown trouser moment that thankfully didn’t happen, but could have, made me consider the risk/benefit of having a locking knife on me!

DrP

daftvader
    Free Member

I MAKE big sharp knives as big scott nanny says, he has the biggest and smallest I make… boker make lovely blades, and I believe they are backed up with a good warrantee too…
    As for carrying, my blades have mostly gone to the bushcraft and hunting scene,many of who also have uk legal EDC blades too… I still need to sort my one of them out… even the boss is on my back about making her one!

onandon
    Free Member

I picked up a spyderco titanium PITS for my 40th birthday. It’s really nice but doesn’t get used anywhere near as much as my cheap opinel knives. I don’t care if I damage those but it would annoy me if the spydercos were damaged.

Makes me wonder why I bothered buying expensive knives.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Decent knives are pretty durable. That’s the whole “point”?

councilof10
    Free Member

I’d have preferred the lock, tbh, but since i had a locking knife removed off me when I visited the Houses of Parliament (long story, I’d been doing up my house and had the locking knife clipped to my car keys, which I forgot about), the brown trouser moment that thankfully didn’t happen, but could have, made me consider the risk/benefit of having a locking knife on me!

It’s a complete joke, if you carry a knife for nefarious reasons, you’re not going to give a flying fig whether it has a locking blade or not!

And as long as you can prove that you use a knife for your work – or are carrying to work – there’s no problem with carrying a locker. It’s just daft, I would have preferred to get my nephew something with a locking blade as they’re safer and tend to be easier to open.

That Spyderco is rather nice, one of the best looking blade patterns IMHO!

DrP

It’s a complete joke, if you carry a knife for nefarious reasons, you’re not going to give a flying fig whether it has a locking blade or not!

I agree completely – I suppose the fact that I am ‘fearful of police reprimand’ even though I’ve no intention on gutting some rood-boi suggests I am not really the threat the law was meant to stop!!

DrP

Scapegoat

Depends on use. I don’t whittle much, but do paunch rabbits and gralloch deer. A simple cheap Buck Bantam locknife with drop point is perfect for bunnies, kept razor sharp with a lansky system and a steel. http://www.buck-store.co.uk/knives-c35?gclid=Cj0KEQjwxPbHBRCdxJLF3qen3dYBEiQAMRyxSzm6GHhiaFlUzgtWlq_eaA7oMo0CdvkIUE2G0s70S24aAqXD8P8HAQ#t420

My favourite knife for gralloching roe is an Enzo Necker (http://moonrakerknives.co.uk/enzo.html). 2 inch blade, again, sharp as a scalpel. I’ve got a couple of larger fixed blade knives, a Boker Magnum Elk, cheap as you like and nicely balanced, but I’ve yet to stumble on any Zombie Apocalypse style scenarios to use it properly, and I’ve got a Mora for emergency use in the shooting box. Again, can’t remember needing it other than to slice up some lamb ribs for the dog.

My lad worked at an abattoir so has a selection of knives for skinning and rendering a deer into various bits and pieces, mostly Victorinox. Razor sharp and washable. His killing knife scares me shitless, and his boner (quiet at the back) is a wicked sliver of dangerousness. He uses a double-sided indian whetstone to keep them tiptop, and a steel between big cuts.

councilof10
    Free Member

I think it’s also worth considering it a ‘calculated risk’… In 40-odd years, I’ve never been stopped and searched by the police, so the chances of it happening are pretty slim…

The only time I’ve ever had a remotely knife-related problem was when I forgot to take my nail-clippers out of my washbag when getting a flight out of Blackpool airport. The security girl offered to “make them safe” by snapping the nail-file off, which had the result of leaving a sharp, jagged stump that was far more dangerous!

thenorthwind

gralloching

Just learnt a new word.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Slight hijack.

How do you sharpen yours? I have a Mora of Sweden Mora knife and last weekend used it to cut the turf when i was laying it in our garden. Did a great job but now needs a sharpen.

I’ve tried to do it myself with a block and oil in the past and never really mastered it.

PS Mora knife is a great bushcraft knife – just not for your pocket.

councilof10
    Free Member

I use whetstones, I have 2 that go down to a very fine grit and then strop them on a leather strop.

palmer77
    Free Member
    PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I considered carrying a machete while guiding up in rain forest-clad Grenada, but it was more to do with fitting in with the jungle-dwelling locals* than actually needing one (although one could have been useful on one or two route-finding rides).

Otherwise my Leatherman dealt with most knife-related work pretty well.

*Other than the far paler skin, mountain bike, big bag of kit and group of riders in tow.

AlexSimon

Every time I look at knives for gifts, etc I always end up back at the Mora Clipper.
    Superb and only a tenner:

eyestwice
    Free Member

This is mine:

My Big Knife

It’s crazy sharp, as a quick fumble in the dark once taught me.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

His killing knife scares me shitless…

It was interesting, when joining the TA, getting a guided tour of a standard issue bayonet.

“This piece is designed to prise ribs apart to access the softer vital organs underneath. This line here is the blood letting groove, which prevents a seal forming so you can retrieve the bayonet after inserting into said vital organs.”

This was followed by the ‘if you’re thinking “COOL! KNIVES! GUNS!” then we don’t want you. If you’re thinking “Wow, that’s some scary and efficient kit” then welcome aboard’ talk.

Yak

Hmmm, I was at my kids first cub camp at the weekend. Felt at a bit of a loss without a suitable whittling tool. So then, lock knives – banned, but are those Opinels ok?

councilof10
    Free Member

How do you get on sharpening a serrated blade like that Eyestwice?

councilof10
    Free Member

So then, lock knives – banned, but are those Opinels ok?

Not for carrying in public… Any locking mechanism on any length of blade is illegal in public unless you have a legitimate use.

So basically, for everyday carrying in the UK, it has to be less than 3.5″ blade and non-locking.

Yak

Ok – noted.
    + I’ve had a few stop n’ searches, so best comply.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Not for carrying in public… Any locking mechanism on any length of blade is illegal in public unless you have a legitimate use.

How does that apply to multi-tools?

councilof10
    Free Member

How does that apply to multi-tools?

Same… If the cutting edge is more than 3.5″ or if it has a locking mechanism, it’s illegal to carry.

It’s far easier to justify a legitimate use for a multi-tool though – I doubt there have been many prosecutions for cyclists with Leathermen (is Leathermen the correct plural of Leatherman?)

user-removed
    Free Member

Despite owning a good number of big, sharp knives, this is the one which lives in my pocket. Needs sharpening every week and although it’s got a locking blade, I suspect the cops would laugh at it.

EDIT: normal size packet of rizlas btw…

Mowgli
    Free Member

I have this on my keyring. 1″ of locking illegality. Use it most days for opening boxes and stuff at work. Very efficient at slicing sellotape and not making me look like a knife carrying oddball.

chewkw
    Free Member

I am going to buy some of these … 😛

For small fixed blade (not to carry around apart from camping)

These small knives are similar to Mora. (will buy both these)
    1. Hultafors Heavy Duty Knife £5.95
    2. Hultafors Craftsmans Orange Carbon £3.95

Medium size
    1. Condor Eco Parang Machete £48.95 (prefer this one)
    2. Condor Mini Duku Parang Machete £88.95
    3. BK&T Campanion 2nd Gen £125.95 (many campers like this in Merica)

Large size (weight can be different to ours in Borneo)
    1. Condor Bushcraft Parang Machete £66.95
    2. Condor Duku Parang Machete £97.95
    3. Condor Parang Machete £88.95

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘The Big Sharp Knife Thread’ is closed to new replies.