Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • The big General election Thread. Or Captain F v TJ.
  • Pook

So we don't get millions in the run up to the election, I thought I'd start this one.

Slug it out boys.

grumm
    Free Member

Two things are noticeable here in Lancaster.

Loads of Tory adverts on billboards everywhere, none for Labour. Ashcroft buying the election?

The Tory posters are pathetically negative – they are basically just saying 'we don't actually have any policies, but you don't like the Labour party much do you, eh?'

Really not looking forward to this campaign – feeling more cynical about politics than ever before. We urgently need electoral reform. Little chance of the two main parties bringing it in when at the moment they've got a roughly 50/50 chance of getting in power though.

🙁

Houns

First and last time I'll click on a political thread on here for the next 2 months.
    Boring same old crap spouted by the same folk on here. Each with an axe to grind against whichever party.
    We've heard it all before. Your arguments won't make me want to vote for whichever party your supporting.
    You're only wasting your time and increasing your blood pressure!

clubber
    Free Member

Well TJ is quite adamant that he's not a New Labour supporter (though I can't help but feel that he is by default)

So, partial FAIL 😉

(OT – Grum, you're not the Grum DJ who was played on R1 this morning are you? Spotted that you do DJ…)

binners

To summarise the choice that this general election offers

"…and would sir like his great big shit sandwich served on brown or white bread?"
    At least in the past you had a clear cut choice. All we have at the moment we've got two parties who aren't even beginning to address the actual issues.

Did someone recall something of a minor disruption in the economy of late. All caused by the insane deregulation of banks. They're the only ones who haven't actully paid any price. They've almost bankrupted us all. But for them its just back to business as usual. And to prevent this happening again… to funnel the public revulsion at this…. the main parties are proposing…..erm….. hang on a minute….. oh, yeah… ABSOUTELY **** ALL!!!

grumm
    Free Member

Grum, you're not the Grum DJ who was played on R1 this morning are you? Spotted that you do DJ

Ha – quite a few people have thought that. No not me sadly – I do DJ but not anywhere near as successfully. 😡

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

Well. I shall be voting for a party with 3 letters the 2nd and 3rd of which are N and P respectively. 😈

Pook

SNP eh?

clubber
    Free Member

thought it an unlikely possibily but worth checking 🙂 Liked what they played mind. Reminded me of Mylo.

As for you phoenix, I really hope you're trolling. 🙄 EDIT: or that it's the SNP…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Smee, you tried that one last night…it hasn't got any better. Thought you were going again anyway? Can you give us a leaving date?

bassspine
    Free Member

best description of current UK politics so far

To summarise the choice that this general election offers

"…and would sir like his great big shit sandwich served on brown or white bread?"

superb, binners

binners

What worries me fella is that its terrifyingly accurate 🙁

Talkemada
    Free Member

Ah, stop bloody moaning. This country's not in too bad a state, relatively. We enjoy some of the highest living standards in the World. Loads of stuff, whilst perhaps possibly being able to be a bit better, are actually quite good mostly.

Vote for who you think will make the biggest positive impact in your local constituency. I thought that was how it worked anyway? 🙄

hainey
    Free Member

Had our leaflets through for our local candidates at the wknd (new to the area so am genuinely interested in what they have to say). From both the labour and tory candidates it was a double page sheet of paper telling me how shit the others are. That was it, no mention of policies. Sums up UK politics at the moment.

clubber
    Free Member

This country's not in too bad a state, relatively. We enjoy some of the highest living standards in the World. Loads of stuff, whilst perhaps possibly being able to be a bit better, are actually quite good mostly.

Shh.. Don't get in the way of a good old British moan 😉

Talkemada
    Free Member

Sorry.

mudshark
    Free Member

Look up your MP here:

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/

and see if you agree with how they've been voting.

epicsteve
    Free Member

This is some of what that site shows as the voting record for my local MP:
    – Voted moderately against laws to stop climate change
    – Voted very strongly for allowing ministers to intervene in inquests
    – Voted strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws
    – Voted strongly for introducing student top-up fees
    – Voted very strongly for introducing ID cards
    – Voted very strongly for the Iraq war
    – Voted strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war

I don't think he therefore represents me very well, however since the boundary changes what was a marginal seat became a very safe labour one – hence the reason he was parachuted in with the existing Labour MP bought off with a lordship.

allthepies
    Free Member

Good to see Fred back anyway 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

epicsteve – who's he? Sounds like a right git. My MP is Tory and I mostly agree with his voting – lowish expenses too though I'm not far from London.

epicsteve
    Free Member

epicsteve – who's he? Sounds like a right git

Alistair Darling.

El-bent
    Free Member

Vote for who you think will make the biggest positive impact in your local constituency. I thought that was how it worked anyway?

Thats not how politics works. Party whips make sure MP's vote according to their "National interest" rather than local issues.

hilldodger
    Free Member

TJ24 has already declared his intended non-participatiuon in the democratic process so he can STFU, but no chance of that is there 😛

Don't vote, Don't gloat………….

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I'm going to start my own party – the "Weekly bin collection party"

I don't actually think we need weekly bin collections. I definitely don't need a weekly bin collection.

But in the face of climate change, a growing and aging population, peak oil, wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, the failure of our entire banking system, political corruption and rampant consumerism in the face of the physical limits on our environment (fish, wood, water etc.) – weekly bin collection does seem to be the main concern round my way.

I think a single issue party calling for weekly bin collections everywhere would probably sweep to power.

uplink
    Free Member

I think a single issue party calling for weekly bin collections everywhere would probably sweep to power.

You don't get weekly bin collections? – we do 😀

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

I know I tried it last night, but it worked, so i figured i'd try it again just to see what happened. 😀

mudshark
    Free Member

Bin collection: it's up with the NHS – postcode lottery.

Actually I think bi-weekly collection is best – though if you miss a collection in the hot weather best to keep the bin away from your house. Maggots are useful though.

kimbers

old people vote more than young uns

old people seem obsessed with bin collections and the nhs coz they read it in the mail/telegraph lots so its an election issue

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Vote tactically. Vote for the party most likely to keep out the party you least want to see win.

I find it very hard to be enthusiastic about the election of a labour government for the first time in my life. However this current crop of tories are hardly very inspiring either – negative campaigning, loads of hot air and no idea at all on the economy( or ideas change every other week)

A plague on both your houses I say!

Best outcome – hung parliament. Leb dems make PR their price for supporting anyone. Democratic renewal over future years.

Its more or less what happened in holyrood and has made for a real renewal in politics especially at council level.

Its already been done BTW
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/may-6th-and-so-we-go-to-the-polls

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Pointless thread really. Everyone on here that's likely to contribute to it has probably made their minds up long ago how they're going to vote and won't be influenced by the usual lobbing of grenades from entrenched positions.

convert

I'm struggling to get at all motivated by the thought of a General Election.

I have voted every time I have had the chance for my entire adult life and due to the makeup of the constituencies that I have lived in not once has my vote mattered a jot. Every time the party I have least wanted to get the seat has won the seat by a landslide. I've voted tactically; I've voted for my party of choice; I've even voted Green for the hell of it and every time I went into the booth knowing it would make no difference and every time it didn't. A few times the party I voted for made it into government but as my constituency went the other way my vote still felt wasted.

Millions must feel like me and until something is done about that apathy will reign supreme.

kimbers

amen to that convert
    PR is desperately needed to make this even a half believable democracy

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘The big General election Thread. Or Captain F v TJ.’ is closed to new replies.