Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • THE BEST way to remove a splined bottom bracket!
  • clb7776
    Free Member

1. Buy a bb tool with 1/2″ square drive e.g. Icetoolz Bottom Bracket Tool

2. Take your bike and bb tool to your friendly local tyre fitters

3. Ask them nicely to use their air gun to remove your bb (make sure you make it clear which way to undo each side!)

Took 5 seconds each side. Easy.

wwaswas

Took 5 seconds each side

I use a 24″ adjustable spanner with similar results 🙂

clb7776
    Free Member

I found when using a long lever I couldn’t keep the tool properly seated in the splines, and it kept twisting out.

The bb had been in the frame for 15 years!

Davesport

3. Ask them nicely to use their air gun to remove your bb (make sure you make it clear which way to undo each side!)

What’s wrong with using your own air impact wrench ?

wwaswas

some people use one of the crank/bb bolts and a big washer to hold the tool on – can certainly help.

but if your local kwiktyres are happy to help then whjy not use them 🙂

kaesae
    Free Member

I have two snap on electric impact guns and a bambi silent air compressor with a snap on air gun. How long did it take you to get to the tyre fitters and back?

clb7776
    Free Member

About 5 minutes.
    And it only cost me about 20p in petrol.

However, I am in danger of getting ‘tool envy’…

fourbanger
    Free Member

Method I’ve used to great affect is BB tool into BB, hold in place with crank arm bolt as wwaswas mentioned, then hold the tool in a bench vice and use the whole bike as leverage. Don’t forget to loosen the crank bolt as you go.

andyl
    Free Member

that sounds like a recipe for the tool stripping the BB splines.

I would use something to hold the tool secure and then using a nice long wrench.

fourbanger
    Free Member

why? the bike is a nice long wrench.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

some people use one of the crank/bb bolts and a big washer to hold the tool on…

Yep, never failed me…..

andyl
    Free Member

fourbanger – if you have a vice yes. But as your post wasnt there when I was writing mine I didn’t see your post and was not saying anything about said method 😀

llama

I found when using a long lever I couldn’t keep the tool properly seated in the splines, and it kept twisting out.

hold the tool on with a wheel QR

use a bench vice

ragleyrider
    Free Member

They do come off with a massive hammer………. thats if you dont want to keep your granny ring 😆

bigyinn
    Free Member

I would have thought that steady even pressure would be less likely to rip out the BB threads than a sudden blast of POWAH from an air gun.

Davesport

Impact wrench is the way to go IMO. A lot of short sharp shocks as opposed to loadsa leverage on breaker bar. LBS uses a Makita electric impact wrench. Works a treat 8)

verses

Another vote for holding the tool onto the BB using a spare wheel QR

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘THE BEST way to remove a splined bottom bracket!’ is closed to new replies.