Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The best way to keep cycling feet dry and warm now winter is here!!!!
  • rockhopper70

I have two pairs of riding shoes, a pair of slinky vented (summer???)leather stiff soled affairs with studs in the front of the sole and a pair of Northwave Mission, chunky trainer style with a vibram sole.
    I previously used a plain, thin cycling sock with porelles with the Northwaves but these are splitting so it's time for a rethink.
    Overshoes with the leather shoes or layers inside the Northwaves.
    All suggestions and experiences appreciated…..ta.

bassspine
    Free Member

winter!?!?!?!? it's not even autumn yet!

headfirst
    Free Member

Merino wool socks, standard leather shoes and overshoes work reasonably well here. I dont go out when the weather is stinking though. Had sealskins socks for a while but they lost their waterproofness. I think the secret is to aim for warmth and not worry too much about the wet. Merino socks keep your feet warm even when wet.

Jamie
    Free Member

Soon be Christmas! 🙄

Kbrembo
    Free Member

+1 Merino socks… they stay warm when wet or sealskinz with merino…

Good Luck

rockhopper70

OK Ok, perhaps a bit gloomy…just feels like we are rattling towards winter today!

Houns

Sealskinz merino with Northwave Celsius boots

Or

Feet up in front of fire with a beer in hand

HTH

rockhopper70

There is always the Goretex boot option but not too sure Mrs R would be pleased to see another pair of cycling shoes in the house!

rockhopper70

I take it back….not too soon to predict the onset of winter as I have just been told that snow is forecast for next week!!!

headfirst
    Free Member

snow??? Where??

hels
    Free Member

Crisp packets inside shoes. Eat crisps first.

donsimon
    Free Member

Proper tools for the job.

You won't regret it.

lipseal
    Free Member

What about EASTER!

+2 Merino socks

rockhopper70

I retract the warning re snow. It was from the mother-in-law reading the daily express! Enough said.

thepurist

Gore tex boot liners – army surplus from ebay. No good if you're wearing shorts though as the tops are loose and flappy, but work well under longs.

Del

FTW.

these things are proper. stretch to them so they don't bunch up. pretty thin, can be worn with your regular shoes. snug at the top so you don't get a waterfall off your shorts ending up in your socks.
    get the proper gore ones, mind.

shortcut

Definately not winter yet.

But winter boots is the answer. Shimano, Spesh, Northwave etc. all do something that will keep the frost bite away!

Mix these with DeFeet Woolie Boolie socks and the job is a goodun!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I've got the Merino lined Sealskinz socks BUT they leak – so I cut about 2" off each leg an old wetsuit (so two "rings" of neoprene) and slip them over the tops of the socks to seal them when it's hammering it down – result – totally waterproof socks without the need for trousers.

As I won't cycle in ice, I don't tend to get cold feet – the Sealskinz are very warm anyway. IMO waterproof shoes are a bit pointless – water always gets in over the tops.

Jamie
    Free Member

Last year the only concession to the colder weather was a hair dryer to thaw my feet out when I got in.

Bought some Merino wool socks for this year's chilly patch, but will be coupled with my usual Nike 6.0s.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘The best way to keep cycling feet dry and warm now winter is here!!!!’ is closed to new replies.