Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The best way to buy from abroad?
  • dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Looking to buy a frame from germany and need to do it over their online shop. Thing is with the 2.5% currency exchange added by debit/credit cards, along with the fluctuations in the exchange rate you could save yourself a fairly decent amount. In theory timing it right and no charge for the currency exchange you could get a free hope headset or most of a spare wheelset. Anything I can do to bring the price down?

Or do I suck it up and expect to pay an extra £100-£150?

nickjb
    Free Member

Paypal might be an option, or a Ryan Air flight

molgrips
    Free Member

All services for transferring money to different currencies cost you money. Debit cards are among the cheapest afaik.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

yeah realise it will cost extra somehow, just wanted to try and reduce the extra!

debit it is. thanks.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

I think some of the prepay credit cards are commission free? You load the money on first to the card then make your purchase. If you look on moneysupermarket.com you may get a better idea.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

ah moneysupermarket.com
    has so far produced this quote

However, a number of credit cards can be used abroad for free. These include the Post Office Platinum, Halifax Clarity and Santander Zero and Sainsbury’s Gold credit cards. However, even these cards should be avoided when it comes to withdrawing cash. Interest is charged from the day the money is withdrawn so even if you pay your bill off in full each month, interest can’t be avoided.

uplink
    Free Member

Have a look at FairFX

Good rates and cheap to use

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘The best way to buy from abroad?’ is closed to new replies.