Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • The best thing about a conservatory is
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

sitting in it having your morning cuppa while a storm rages outside. It’s almost like being in the garden except warm and comfy. (I’m the least likely Everest climber ever)

dmck16
    Free Member

…freezing your bollocks off in winter, sweating them off in summer 😉

mrmoofo

When you have it pulls down and replaced with something usable …

piemonster

…freezing your bollocks off in winter, sweating them off in summer

I used to think this, but my folks conservatory is ace and comfortable all year round.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

People with rubbish conservatories, or who have never had one, always say stuff like that! Maybe I’m just imagining sitting in a t shirt in mine…

..freezing your bollocks off in winter, sweating them off in summer

bikebouy
    Free Member

Watching you neighbours having a swingers party, and not being invited ? 😉

cheers_drive

Very useful this time of year when you have lots of food in and need a walk in fridge.

breadcrumb

Conservatories have put me off houses in the past.

Aren’t they just God’s waiting room for the oldies?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Sitting in them in a t-shirt in winter while not giving a damn about the heating bill/environment.
    A friend asked me, as she knows my job, what she should do with the conservatory on her recently puchased house. Knock it down was the reply. 😛

anagallis_arvensis

The best thing about stw chat is the self important know it all gobshites that inhabit it.

carlosg
    Free Member

Seriously needs a like button ^^^^ 😆

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member

The best thing about stw chat is the self important know it all gobshites that inhabit it.

Oh, think we found grandpa, he’s very protective over his pointless conservatory isn’t he.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Self excluded?

anagallis_arvensis

Self excluded?

Of course I’m awesome

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I think the usefulness of conservatories depends on which direction it faces and it’s roofing material. Our very big, south facing, clear plastic roofed one is coming down very soon to be replaced by a real brick extension we can use.

anagallis_arvensis

Oh, think we found grandpa, he’s very protective over his pointless conservatory isn’t he.

Dont have one

jambalaya
    Free Member

Like a lot of people we put one onto our house “back in the day” but would not have another as really only usable 6 months a year. Brick extension with large windows and a small atrium roof if we ever did it again. On a subsequent house we added large folding windows/doors and they where just as good for enjoying the view and could be opened in the summer but the room was much warmer

Davesport

Ha, It’s f’kin roasting in mine 😆 Cats are sprawled out on a rug in front of the wood burner. Warmest room in the house.

mountainman

Somewhere to work on the bike is that not obvious.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Our’s is absolutely crap. It’s a cheapo shitey Wickes affair with a placky roof, It was here when we bought the house & is virtually unusable.

So were’e getting a new decent one in a couple of weeks. 😆

ferrals
    Free Member

Had a conservatory ‘corridor’ joining the rooms along the south side of a rented house. Was poorly built but always warm. Quite useful for drying clothes and growing things. Unfortunately it was also a perfect conduit for the garage mice into hte house

nickdavies

Nothing wrong with a decent one.. I’m sat with a coffee in my folks one now which is brilliant, temperate all year round and makes a great extension into the garden. I told them not to do it but it’s easily the most used room in the house now.

The one it replaced was too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter and only ever used for the dog. Big difference!

shermer75
    Free Member

…you don’t need planning permission! Lol

Seriously though, I was thinking about them today- it’s prob a really good way of avoiding vit D deficiency in the the darker months, which can be quite a problem especially if you live somewhere like the north of Scotland

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Ours is also a year-round room that’s used as much as any room in the house. A proper extension to our living space. It’s a play room where the wee guy has garden views on 3 sides, art room so the kids can make a mess and we’re not precious about the cheap flooring. Got a big table in there for them which we also cover for big dinners. Had Xmas dinner in there yesterday and it was ace.

So lots of you are wrong, basically. 😉

maccruiskeen

Sitting in them in a t-shirt in winter while not giving a damn about the heating bill/environment.

But they heating/environmental impact is offset by time, materials and money that would otherwise be spent wallpapering.

chvck
    Free Member

Seriously though, I was thinking about them today- it’s prob a really good way of avoiding vit D deficiency in the the darker months, which can be quite a problem especially if you live somewhere like the north of Scotland

Just to pick up on this, sunlight in the UK over winter doesn’t have enough uvb for us to create vitamin d from it so that wouldn’t work out! That’s my understanding anyway.

maccruiskeen

enough uvb for us to create vitamin d

UVB doesn’t pass through glass – which is why truckers only get a sun tan on one elbow.

The UVA that causes most skin ageing and cancers does though.

windyg
    Free Member

We use ours all year round, fully heated and well insulated flooring.
    Used pretty much as extra living space as it links opens right out from the dining room onto a large decked area.
    Ideal when a group of friends are round and my daughter has sleep overs in it. Very cheap way of extending a house, I built mine myself 3mx4m for just over £5k.

shermer75
    Free Member

UVB doesn’t pass through glass – which is why truckers only get a sun tan on one elbow.

Ah, that’s a shame. Time to stock up on oily fish and cheese then! 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

If it’s double glazed then is it as well insulated as the rest of the house?

maccruiskeen

If it’s double glazed then is it as well insulated as the rest of the house?

Its as well insulated as the rest of the windows – not as well insulated as the walls and roof.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Got an 8kw woodburner in our conservatory. It’s a big room, 12ft wide by 19ft long. Was 25’c in there the other night despite being closer to 4’c and blowing a hoolie outside. Love it

chickenman

Love ours with hydraulic underfloor heating. Hard enough getting daylight at this time of year. It does of course heat the sky but the only way not to have a carbon footprint is of course to top yourself and get buried in a ditch! 🙂

wallop

My boss said he was getting a quote for a conservatory recently but instead he called it an orangery 😆

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘The best thing about a conservatory is’ is closed to new replies.