Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • The best television, like, ever.
  • badllama
    Free Member

Just started watching the box set of Band of Brothers again, in terms of just scale of production for TV this was epic.

IHN

Mad men????

I think it’s brilliant, your opinion may differ.

As for Band of Brothers, I recently rewatched it. It’s actually a bit cheesey.

mefty
    Free Member

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy and Smiley’s People were fantastic, Alec Guinness was magnificent.

Brideshead Revisited takes some equaling as well.

richmars

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy and Smiley’s People were fantastic,

Smiley’s People on BBC4 Wednesday night. Still class tv.

Anyone else remember Northern Exposure?

markrh
    Free Member

Started watching Archer because of this thread, CAN NOT STOP WATCHING IT 😀

Stevet1
    Free Member

Bobs Burgers is excellent

Clobber
    Free Member

I watched something the other day with an archer and it had a guy called lantern in it who was some superfast superhero and a bloke chucking knives who had bombs all over the city and then Razalgul from Batman came into it….

Is this what you lot are raving about?

Edit: it may have been flash not lantern

Gunz
    Free Member

I really tried hard with The West Wing but the perma-smugness of every main character just got to me.

Pacific and The Walking Dead are my current poison.

jimjam
    Free Member

I watched a bit of Archer when it came out. Didn’t really get into it. I didn’t realise it was from the guys behind Sealab. I’ll have to give it another shot.

As for Breaking Bad I thought it was excellent, and as TV goes, right up there. It was far from perfect on some levels but I could look past them because it was entertaining. My main gripe with BB was that it obviously suffered from a lot of filler episodes. Probably even a filler season. They could have wrapped it up in three seasons and it would have been better for it.

Of shows currently in production I have to say Game of Thrones is excellent, it’s not what I expected at all and is brilliantly produced on every level. I think it’ll outstay it’s welcome soon though if it doesn’t start heading towards a conclusion.

I’d have to say True Detective stands head and shoulders above anything else I’ve seen that was produced for tv. Cinematography, lighting, production design, script, performances, direction…..everything was nigh on perfect and better than so many critically acclaimed films within simialr genres. Apart from that one issue which I won’t even int at for fear of spoilers, it was nigh on perfect.

finbar
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned Joss Whedon yet?

benji
    Free Member

Twin peaks was excellent, but I was equally hooked on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, never missed an episode 😳

Cougar

I worship at the church of Whedon, I’m afraid. Here he is, signing my Firefly DVD.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Watching Buffy from the start again as my eldest daughter has got into it, poor Joyce :sob:

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i was wondering if someone would mention Bob’s Burgers. Utter genius (and bob is voiced by the guy who voices Archer).
    also up there for me is The League, Arrow, The Flash, Modern Family, Agent Carter…
    I started watching Constantine and The Librarians too; both fairly new and both so far quietly impressive. XBMC is ace, means I can easily watch all of this stuff whenever I want.

jimjam
    Free Member

finbar

So much guff. Inoffensive guff, but guff nonetheless.

xherbivorex
    I started watching Constantine ……so far quietly impressive

Have you read any of the Hellblazer comics? I was never a massive fan of them, but that tv show is so far removed from them it’s impossible to enjoy for me.

finbar
    Free Member

I worship at the church of Whedon, I’m afraid. Here he is, signing my Firefly DVD.

Oh… jealous!

Have you heard the single he released with Shawnee Kilgore? If you like the soundtracks to his shows, you’ll love it. Called “Big Giant Me”.

So much guff. Inoffensive guff, but guff nonetheless.

Jimjam, I think some of Whedon’s output is actually pretty important. Buffy basically introduced series-long story arcs. Which all the other programmes cited in this thread rely on.

jimjam
    Free Member

finbar

Jimjam, I think some of Whedon’s output is actually pretty important. Buffy basically introduced series-long story arcs. Which all the other programmes cited in this thread rely on.

Important purely in the context of pop culture. I can’t be bothered researching but I’m positive Joss Whedon didn’t invent the concept of long story arcs. Off the top of my head, X-Files was in there long before him, and no doubt there were many more, probably going back decades.

Even as a 14 or whatever year old I used to cringe at how bad Buffy was in many ways. But I couldn’t get enough of seeing Sarah Michelle Gellar kicking things 😀

mefty
    Free Member

Buffy basically introduced series-long story arcs.

Hill Street Blues has an earlier claim.

finbar
    Free Member

Okay, I stand corrected 😳

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Have you read any of the Hellblazer comics? I was never a massive fan of them, but that tv show is so far removed from them it’s impossible to enjoy for me.

no, i haven’t, so considering i don’t have that point of reference i can watch it as a standalone thing and i’m sure that makes it bearable.

iolo
    Free Member

For you Welsh speakers (or readers of subtitles) the best thing that has been on TV is “Gwlad yr Astra Gwyn”. Hilarious.

kudos100
    Free Member

The Wire is still king of television shows, nothing else gets close IMO

Other greats:

The Sopranos
    The Killing
    Spiral
    True Detective
    The Bridge

Never understood what the fuss was about with Breaking Bad. Walt and Jessie are two of the most annoying characters to grace the screen. Not in the same league as the shows above. Saul was great though. I’m looking forward to the spin-off.

jimjam
    Free Member

xherbivorex

no, i haven’t, so considering i don’t have that point of reference i can watch it as a standalone thing and i’m sure that makes it bearable.

The comics are just jet black. Pure horror with some gallows humour thrown in. Tonally I think the closest thing to it on tv was True Detective. Even that was a bit light hearted by comparison.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

yeah, i guess on the tv series he’s just a bit of a dick but not that dark really. it’s entertaining.

i’ve not watched true detective yet; to be fair, i kind of went off dark gritty unpleasant stuff a good few years ago and this is the nearest i’ve got to going back to it so far. i’ve never even bothered with most of the HBO stuff that people bang on about, i’m more into comedies really!
    and with that in mind, i forgot about new series’ of parks & rec and always sunny that are making me smile this week too…

Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘The best television, like, ever.’ is closed to new replies.