Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • The best of British ( in Afghanistan ).
  • sputnik
    Free Member

Awesome photo article of Camp Bastion in Afghanistan, built and designed by UK Works Group Royal Engineers.
    Camp Bastion Article

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yep, it’s certainly looks awesome. Which probably goes some way in explaining why many Afghans appear to feel less than happy about a rich foreign nation flexing their imperial muscles, thousands of miles away in their country.

TooTall
    Free Member

many Afghans appear to feel less than happy about a rich foreign nation flexing their imperial muscles

Far more Afghans – particularly the young girls – are very happy at their ability to attend a school and have more hope for their future. Many are happy to live their lives without extremist factions delivering summary executions for what they see as religious crimes. They are the minority, just more vocal and active.

Despite my belief that the mission was flawed from the start, I support the individuals on the ground. Camp Bastion should have been far better designed, built and managed. It is massive and terribly thought out and run.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Afghanistan wasn’t occupied to protect womens’ rights.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Well if you like helicopters and metal boxes you will love that article

sputnik
    Free Member

Oops, and there is me thinking it was awesome… But when I see Chinooks I loose all my better judgement !

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Far more Afghans – particularly the young girls – are very happy at their ability to attend a school and have more hope for their future. Many are happy to live their lives without extremist factions delivering summary executions for what they see as religious crimes.

We didn’t seem to be very bothered about that when we were financing, arming, and training Al Qaeda, to overthrow the Afghan government under President Najibullah. In fact we claimed that the Afghans “ancient way of life” was under threat, when for example, we attempted to justify Mujahideen’s targeting of schools which taught girls.

For that reason I think we can safely assume that ohnohesback’s comment is more truthful.

scuzz
    Free Member

ernie – you know those two comments aren’t mutually exclusive, right?
    As for the article, an awful lot of US hardware there…

TooTall
    Free Member

I was just showing there were some good things coming out of the situation. Or are we back to your point being the only valid one? My point does not invalidate yours and the original reasons for being there do not negate mine.

yossarian
    Free Member

You are right tootall. It’s just a great shame that its an incidental element of a bigger picture that isn’t humanitarian in the slightest.

globalti
    Free Member

Why does Google maps show military installations like this? You can take the concept of freedom of information too far, especially when it threatens lives.

creamegg
    Free Member

Why would it matter if google showed where it is? It’s not a secret compound and it’s not that difficult to find given the size of it, and the shear number of trucks delivering stuff there and general traffic going back and forth

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I was just showing there were some good things coming out of the situation. Or are we back to your point being the only valid one?

And I was just showing the hypocrisy of Britain now fighting the monster which it helped to create. Or is your point the only valid one ?

mega
    Free Member

To be honest those pictures makes me feel ashamed – have a look at how most Afghan people live, compare and contrast. And don’t try and tell me that the occupation is purposed in any way to help the people of Afghanistan.

🙁

trailmonkey

You can take the concept of freedom of information too far, especially when it threatens lives.

I think the bit that threatens lives is the bit where disingenuous, imperialistic wars are contrived – not the bit where freedom of information is allowed.

wrecker
    Free Member

You can get a good look at Credenhill on google maps but not necker island. I wonder if it’s a coincidence that Mr Branson is bessies with Mr Google?

peterfile
    Free Member

You can get a good look at Credenhill on google maps but not necker island

Nae streetview though 🙂

willard

mega – Member
    To be honest those pictures makes me feel ashamed – have a look at how most Afghan people live, compare and contrast. And don’t try and tell me that the occupation is purposed in any way to help the people of Afghanistan.

Mate, if it makes you feel any better, the bulk of the troops that actually do the fighting are living in tiny little PBs that are much, much worse than Bastion and a lot more like what the locals have.

wrecker
    Free Member

To be honest those pictures makes me feel ashamed – have a look at how most Afghan people live, compare and contrast.

British army/Royal Engineers in “build good base” shocker. Should it be a bit shabbier? You do understand that the military have a bit of a thing for neatness don’t you?

mega
    Free Member

trying not to get drawn in…but it boils my blood

It shouldn’t be there at all

West needs oil
    The meddling in middle east to ensure that supply caused instability in the region
    Afghanistan is the source of a lot of the instability and a
    West is there to quash instability and keep the oil flowing

I can understand a lot of people in the middle east for hating Western foreign policy

Hearts and minds my arse.

I can’t understand how can anyone who calls themselves British can be proud of that base in Afghanistan.

willard

I’m proud of the people that serve there. The policy that leads them to be there is outside my control, but I support the efforts of the troops there wholeheartedly.

yossarian
    Free Member

I’m proud of the people that serve there. The policy that leads them to be there is outside my control, but I support the efforts of the troops there wholeheartedly.

How do you differentiate? Seriously.

I see our troops as the sharp instrument at the end of an arm. I’m not entirely sure how to support the end results if I disagree with the reasoning behind it.

I try to. I guess I look on our troops as ordinary men and women thrust into a difficult situation and doing the absolute best they can.

wrecker
    Free Member

+1. The fact that we’re there is due to the electorate not the military.

konabunny
    Free Member

Pretty exciting photos if you like pebbles and shipping containers.

The policy that leads them to be there is outside my control, but I support the efforts of the troops there wholeheartedly.

Why? It’s not like anyone who has enlisted or re-enlisted in the last twelve years (which is, presumably, most of them) hasn’t known they’d be sent to Afghanistan.

Lifer
    Free Member

konabunny – Member
    “The policy that leads them to be there is outside my control, but I support the efforts of the troops there wholeheartedly.”

Why? It’s not like anyone who has enlisted or re-enlisted in the last twelve years (which is, presumably, most of them) hasn’t known they’d be sent to Afghanistan.

+1

wrecker
    Free Member

konabunny – Member
    “The policy that leads them to be there is outside my control, but I support the efforts of the troops there wholeheartedly.”

So?
    They’re only doing what we (the voters) have sent them to.

yossarian
    Free Member

So?

If only that was true.

wrecker
    Free Member

How is it not?
    We/I/you vote for a party, effectively saying “we trust you to run the country and make decisions for us”. If that party makes poor decisions, then it’s our fault for voting for them. Maybe voting them in once could be blamed on politicians abusing our trust, but re-electing them once or twice after starting a war is our own doing.

willard

How many times am I going to re-write this after thinking about what I’ve just written??

That’s a bit like asking why people smoke if they have known for the last thirty years that it gives you cancer. People smoke for any number of reasons and still start smoking today.

I think there are going to be any number of reasons why people sign up and go out there. Some might be doing it to try and make it a country that would allow people to live in peace and without oppression for once in fifty years. Some might be doing it for the money or because they like a scrap. Some might be doing it because they don’t want to let their mates down. I went (albeit for only a short time) because I had a job to do.

I support them because it’s a difficult job that leaves them, irrespective of their motives or the motives of the executive, at the sharp end. They risk their lives for _us_ and people will sometimes hate them for being there when they disagree with why they are there. I support them because they support me.

It’s difficult to explain really.

konabunny
    Free Member

So?

Well, leaving aside the other bit, if they didn’t want to be involved in Afghanistan, they didn’t have to join up or re-enlist. Soldiers are just as smart as the electorate generally. They’ve made a choice to do what they do. Why are you trying to make them out to be dumb cattle?

wrecker
    Free Member

Why are you trying to make them out to be dumb cattle?

😆

TooTall
    Free Member

You can take the concept of freedom of information too far, especially when it threatens lives.

‘They’ know it is there. ‘They’ can see it easier than ‘they’ can view Google.

yossarian
    Free Member

How is it not?
    We/I/you vote for a party, effectively saying “we trust you to run the country and make decisions for us”. If that party makes poor decisions, then it’s our fault for voting for them. Maybe voting them in once could be blamed on politicians abusing our trust, but re-electing them once or twice after starting a war is our own doing.

Do we? I don’t think either the Tories or Labour were elected on the basis that invading a sandy country where we had no business was going to be an election winner. And both were pro war and the only credible winners so I’d say the electorate’s ability to make a difference was limited to say the least.

konabunny
    Free Member

irrespective of their motives or the motives of the executive, at the sharp end. They risk their lives for _us_

wrecker
    Free Member

Do we? I don’t think either the Tories or Labour were elected on the basis that invading a sandy country where we had no business was going to be an election winner. And both were pro war and the only credible winners so I’d say the electorate’s ability to make a difference was limited to say the least.

I wasn’t suggesting that anyone voted in favour of war! I will say that re-electing the mob that started it probably sent a message that we weren’t too bothered about it though (regardless of what the other mab were saying).

UK politics is in really deep shit isn’t it? If the main 2 parties agree on something, we are absolutely powerless to stop it no matter how crap an idea it is. And they’re both a bunch of dicks. Oh dear.

yossarian
    Free Member

And how many uk service personnel have been killed or maimed ‘in our name’ during the past 10 years?

I reckon a referendum on the issue at any time would have seen the troops back home too.

Oh dear indeed.

wrecker
    Free Member

And how many uk service personnel have been killed or maimed ‘in our name’ during the past 10 years?

I reckon a referendum on the issue at any time would have seen the troops back home too.

Oh dear indeed.

100%

willard

Konabunny,

Fair enough.

bearGrease

we were financing, arming, and training Al Qaeda,

No, we* financed the Afghan Mujahideen whose victory paved the way for the Taliban who invited Al Qaeda to Afghanistan.

* The CIA actually, so not directly accountable to the British electorate…or the US one for that matter.

Kuco

Some cracking photos.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘The best of British ( in Afghanistan ).’ is closed to new replies.