Viewing 4 posts - 121 through 124 (of 124 total)
  • The best book that you ever read when you were growing up.
  • user-removed
    Free Member

I treasure the day I picked up my first Swallows and Amazons novel. I was in a fever (properly ill) and demanded pemmican sandwiches. My mother brought me corned beef sandwiches and I ate for the first time in four days. The recovery was swift henceforth.

Also enjoyed everything by Enid Blyton, most especially, The Mountain of Adventure which I must have read 12 times.

Thereafter, as I grew up a bit, The Mouse and his Child by Russel Hoban captured my imagination.

Northwind

As a younger kid, Swallows and Amazons and the Chronicles of Narnia… Little bit older, Anne McCaffrey’s Dragonflight, and Terry Pratchett- think Moving Pictures was my first.

Kevevs
    Free Member

what is this Swallows and Amazons, it’s obviously something I must read!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Smudger666

Enid blyton – various series at various stages of growing up, The “……….. Of adventure” in particular.
    Robert Heinlein- again, various books at various times – stranger in a strange land got me into trouble in RE, which was taught by the local Protestant firebrand minister.
    Swallows and amazons of course.

Viewing 4 posts - 121 through 124 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘The best book that you ever read when you were growing up.’ is closed to new replies.