Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 124 total)
  • The best book that you ever read when you were growing up.
  • wwaswas

My kids loved;

Because the main character spends the entire book walking around with a poo on his head.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

My entire grasp of German was learnt from War Picture Library.

ditto my japanese
    “banzai”
    “by shinto”

dingabell
    Free Member

“Gumbles In Summer”!!!
    You mean there was a sequel?!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    slugwash
    Free Member

It has to be “Bottersnikes and Gumbles”. I’ve never met a single person who’s heard of it. Was going to buy a secondhand copy on Amazon for old time sakes but the cheapest I can find it is £28 !!!

Got a copy of this and have read it to my kids after having it read to me at primary school. It’s Tinkin Gumbletastic !

(Hmmm, £28 you say. Now where’s that jam tin I squadged it into to keep it safe)

bencooper
    Free Member

And of course there’s Tintin…

wobbem
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

“On the Road” has to be the most disappointing book I’ve ever read.

slackalice
    Free Member

Great to see so much love for the Swallows and Amazon’s series.

Wind in the Willows, LOTR, Spike Milligan, Peanuts featuring good ole Charlie Brown and….

metalheart
    Free Member

Camo16 – John WyndHam, yeah! I was a big fan, loved the Chysalids a whole heap but yeah I musta read Triffids about 20 times as a kid.
    A bit older we got Sunset Song – Lewis Grassic Gibbon at school. Probably still one of my favourite books….

toys19
    Free Member

I liked all of enid blytons stuff, secret 7, famous 5. I also liked this

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I devoured books as a child so hard to choose. Possibly the most profoundly affecting was the hitch hikers guide books. The appealed to my imagination. From them I cultivated my love of anarchy and the adsurd.

Rorschach
    Free Member

yossarian
    Free Member

The bogwoppits
    Friday’s tunnel
    The whole swallows and amazons series
    The Willard Price range – African Adventure etc
    The wind in the willows
    The hobbit, then LOTR
    The jungle book
    Everything by Roald Dahl
    Hitch hikers guide
    The bulldog Drummond series

I loved reading as a kid. We are just now in the process of gutting and completely redoing my lads bedrooms. Bookshelves and a nice little reading nest are top of refurb list.

Cougar

Aged maybe 14, we’d to do a book review in English. They had a big cardboard box full of books that we could pick from.

I rifled through a lot of boring looking titles, and at the bottom found this little thing. I’d never heard of it.

Massively influential in my formative years, and probably directly responsible for my sense of humour now. RIP, DNA.

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

This:

And these:

I read the sh*t out of these books.

rossi46
    Free Member

I used to love the Asterix series

And Garfield too

ittaika
    Free Member

big thank-you to bigbutslimmerbloke – i’ve been trying to remember the name of the tom swift series for years! =)

read so many wonderful books as a kid – couldn’t choose the best one though…

beej

In terms of meaningfulness and making me think about the world in general, this:

I read it so many times it fell apart.

mightymule
    Free Member

Winnie the Pooh.

“Pooh readings” were a night time ritual in our family. Yes, I know that sounds very very wrong.

Another +1 for the Arthur Ransome books. I read them all as a child, and then 3 years ago bought another copy of Coot Club and re-read it while sailing the Broads on holiday. I found it just as captivating as an adult – especially when moored up for the night at some of the places n the book. We even saw a small boat in Horning done up as a replca of the Death and Glory. It was truly excellent.

epicyclo

I read loads, but the best? No doubts – it’s “Three Men in a Boat” by Jerome K Jerome which I read at 10. I giggled my way through it, and read it again every so often.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Hitch Hikers Guide here too

bikebouy
    Free Member

Huge fan, always have been and I guess I always will be and very thankful of being introduced to..

[/url] image by bikebouy, on Flickr[/img]

sunnrider
    Free Member

At about 11 years old I read Treasure Island and Robinson Crusoe, they made me realise the world was bigger than I´d previously thought.

13 and I read The Hobbit, I realised the world could be much, much bigger again.

CountZero

Oh God, loads of stuff! Secret Seven and Famous Five I used to devour, I read a lot of SF and ghost stories from the school library, particularly EE ‘Doc’ Smith and Arthur C Clarke, and I loved Arthur Ransome, I still have my original hard cover copies from the 60’s, and I was thrilled to discover they were all available from iBooks, so I’m gradually collecting the whole Swallows and Amazons series on my pad and phone.
    I was equally delighted a couple of years ago to meet a lady who’s a member of the Nancy Blackett Trust, who own and look after Arthur Ransome’s boat of the same name, which he lived on when writing We Didn’t Mean To Go To Sea.

peajay

My favourite all time read is ChickenHawk, Vietnam chopper pilot’s memoirs, left a lasting impression, must dig it out of the loft and read again,
    PJ.

hallz
    Free Member

Fairly sure that the first book i ever read in infants was “Red Lorry, Yellow Lorry”!

Thereafter I loved The Magic Faraway Tree

and any other Enid Blyton books. I remember liking this one because of the secret railway tunnels…

Probably my best primary school read though was Speed Six by Graham Carter. A book about motorsport…

Pigface
    Free Member

peajay the last line of Chicken Hawk just sums it up brilliantly.

badllama
    Free Member

for me as well 😀

tthew

Just joined this thread, not read it all, but suspect no one has mentioned,

Here are the cops of London town, hard working, brave and true.
    They drink their tea, stay up ’till 3 and take good care of you….

Edit – and of course, the classic,

deluded
    Free Member

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, aged 13 3/4

Dragonlance chronicles.

stgeorge

Stephen King – The Stand

Scamper
    Free Member

Read the Secret Diary of Adrian Mole a million times when it came out,but for me its got to be Swallows and Amazons.

sweepy
    Free Member

To kill a mockingbird, even today, once I pick it up, i’m there to the end.

Dez- ‘For you tommy, ze var is over’

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Another huge Ransome fan here… Also avidly read Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton as a kid and loved the HHGTTG series.
    Also did the whole SF thing – Asimov, Clarke etc. For Horror it was James Herbert, Ramsey Campbell and Stephen King.

The single biggest book of my formative years was Iain Banks’ Wasp Factory though. Still love it now…

Kevevs
    Free Member

Very Young – Mister Men – pretty much all of them, I was a bit mad for ’em apparently.

young – Enid Blyton – Faraway tree, Enchanted Forest, Famous Five, secret Seven

Then got really into Atlasses, Wonders of The World Mag and stuff like that. Anything with good photo’s and diagrams and graphs and Information about the natural world. AND SPACE, anything with space.

9ish-13+ – Asimovs Foundation and Empire series, Phillip K dick stuff, Arthur C clarke, really went a bit scifi. and loads of Steven King, but never Liked Tolkein and all that fantasy stuff. And then decided to read books you’re “supposed” to read.. Huxley, Orwell, Salinger, etc. Cos I decided I was intelligent HAH!!

LabWormy

A bit of silliness for those in the know.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Thinking about it I first read 1984 in 1984 so must have been 12. Another book which had a massive impact.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Can remember The Cement Garden being memorable. I also went through a big Martin Amis phase where I had to read everything he’d written for a bit. Think that started with The Rachel Papers and then Money and Other people, London Fields. Stopped with Times Arrow cos I thought it was crap/grew up.. We read o Kill A Mockingbird in school, but to be honest, I was too young to get it. Looking back, I can see getting immersed in books was an escape from not wanting to grow up!..

timidwheeler
    Free Member

Lord of the Flies.

(He sharpened a stick at both ends)

racefaceec90

😀 (house of hell is a special fav 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘The best book that you ever read when you were growing up.’ is closed to new replies.