Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • the best all-mountain bike and why?
  • GW
    Free Member

David, I have the long one, it's pretty useless for riding up hill TBH as the seat angle is DH slack, great little mini DH bike tho.

coogan
    Free Member

my son is is about to test 3 bikes out soon..this week the 2011 orange five pro, then the Alpine 160 , then the five AM..so will get some feedback hopefully soon.

That's really throwing the net far and wide…

IvanDobski
    Free Member

^^^^^

I tested loads of bikes and the Orange was the best…

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I tested loads of bikes too and went for a Remedy.

I had a Fuel for a weekend and it was great, but too similar to my hardtail.
    Jumped on the Remedy and I was immediately riding harder and hitting jumps I would have never tried before.

Done DH days on it, now commuting to work 4 miles on the flat…if you can't afford lots of bikes, these type of bikes are probably the most versatile I reckon 🙂 So have fun on your spicy slowrider 🙂

ftr1873
    Free Member

I like the Mojo HD, demoed one and I think I'm gonna have one in my shed soon. At the end of the day try and test them, if it puts a smile on your face buy it, most people are are in this game for fun. I have ridden various bikes – Nomad, 5, 5 Spot, Tracer, Meta 5, Mojo and probably others, there isn't a bad bike among them to be honest.

slowrider
    Free Member

Um.. think you'll actually find shorter travel forks and a hardtail frame are both stiffer than DH frames/forks never mind "all-mincer" ones.

lol really? i think you might generalising a little there!

there is no way my mates float 32's with qr15's are as stiff as my current lyriks, nor his on-one as stiff as my supreme. im sure there are plenty of stiff hardtails out there but thats not what im after. out of interest, what was the last 'all-mincer' you rode? the ones of ridden in anger (1/2 dozen different brands) exhibited verly little flex, though a five AM and a commy 66 were slightly more flexible than the others.

cheers all for your comments, helpful or otherwise! like i said the bike is now chosen so feel free to tell me how wrong i am

flange
    Free Member

I've ripped the piss out of Orange and their never changing 5 in the past, then I rode one at Glentress (a brand spanker 2011 with RP23) and it was awesome. Had ridden for 3 days prior, including 'The 'Tress' on my Inbred with High Rollers on and I definitely enjoyed the 5 much more.

Buy one, they're ace

messiah
    Free Member

Now you have decided I am safe to post this…

AndyA
    Free Member

Good choice Slowrider. Got a spicy 316 myself, great bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds like you got a great deal, as a happy Zesty owner the Spicy would haver been top of my list.

Show us some pics when it's finished.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

horst link turner 5spot, best bike ive owned easy, climbs well, geometrys sorted, rear end tracks perfect (maybe too perfect come to think of it) and the bushes make it last forever…….. with a little grease.

Kasperthecourier
    Free Member

Nomad owner here.

Brought it to Afan and did skyline and the rest on 1×9 setup (without pushing). Ride uplift in southern sweden with it all summer. LOTS of roots and fairly rocky. Super versatile. Have thought of buying a full on dh bike but coudnt bring that to wales and similar places. Tried it with a coil this weekend doing lifts and I think thats the way ahead for me. Ride it with a 36 talas and vind it down going up hills though. Does help alot. Ohh and brought it down to switchbacks winter dh in malaga last year and it coped well amongst the trek 88s, demo 9s and so on. With some limitations obviously.
    Hope it was helpfull..

Kasperthecourier
    Free Member

Note: Read the end of the thread even though its long..

GW
    Free Member

lol really? i think you might generalising a little there!

Yes, shorten the travel on any fork and it instantly becomes stiffer.

lol indeed 🙄

Rik
    Free Member

ive had bikes from the 'trail' genre before and whilst great bikes they dont have sufficient skill compensation for the kind of riding i like to do.

Great riders are fast no matter what they ride.

Maybe you should have stuck with one of the bikes you used to own and just get better at riding them, rather than thinking a different bike will make you better/ride faster.

(not having a go at you or anybody else, or being petty or saying you are a bad rider, before somebody comes in with the usual STW comments)

hora
    Free Member

Rik, slowriders a pretty nippy rider though. I think hes one of those that loves to ride but also wants to ride everything 😉

backhander
    Free Member

So a reba is stiffer than a pike?

StumpyBlurRider
    Free Member

Blur LT

slowrider
    Free Member

lol hora, takes one to know one!

whilst i have flogged a couple of bikes just i wanted a new one ive also had a couple nicked, not to mention a forced change of the kind of riding i do following breaking my spine a few years back. i now cant really do long days in the saddle without a lot of pain for some time afterwards so i try to ride for 2-3 hours and cram in as much fun as possible rather than distance.

and by the way rik, im no great rider! almost blind in one eye and clumsy as you like, so ill take all the skill compensation i can get, ta! im not really after a new bike to make me better or faster either, its because my current bike is a 37lb mini dh bike so im looking for something more all-round really. if speed or skill comes as a by-product of being less shattered then lucky me.

Yes, shorten the travel on any fork and it instantly becomes stiffer.

lol indeed

im no engineer or owt but wouldnt manufactures ahve thought of this and increased the strength of longer travel forks to take in to account the extra forces they are subject to? or do you mean buy some forks and run them wound down to increase the overlap? im not lolling anymore, im genuinely baffled!

hora
    Free Member

Blur LT2? I'd love one of those. Natural progression from a Blur4x- too expensive though

geetee1972
    Free Member

Slowrider – have we met before? Just what you said there about having broken your spine and the fact that Hora knows you makes me think we met once quite a few years back on a ride in the Peak District with Julian, Jane and MartynS. I'm pretty sure that I met Hora on that ride also? Would have been around 2005 and we rode over Peep O Day, New Mills allotments etc. I was the chap who killed the bunny if you remember that!

hora
    Free Member

I remember the broken-legged bunny. You bunny murderer 😀 . One lad said 'we have to take it to a vets' and nbt said 'its a wild animal'.

I looked to you, then made a nodding motion towards a big rock (half-jokingly actually), you nodded, walked away from the trail a metre or so and rung its neck (all I saw was a its little legs kick away) and I said 'I was only joking!!!!' 😆

Not too long ago on Rivi on the road climb back up and round to the ice cream run I came across a dazed duck with a deep graze on its head wandering around the road, flagged down a car and asked the bloke to 'despatch it' with his car.

'No **** way'.
    What shall we do?
    dunno.
    A couple more cars turn up and (all blokes) stood there wondering what to do with the Duck who was stood there looking back at us. In the end one picked it up and placed it in the undergrowth.

None of us had the guts to ring its neck (or run it over)

geetee1972
    Free Member

Hora it was one of those 'moments' really that sort of go down in folk lore 😆 I distinctly remember the rest of you being unable to make eye contact with me for quite a while after!

BTW, NBT and I have kept in touch and we're planning a ride with Mrs NBT in the Peak on October 9th if you're around. Would be really good to see you again and I promise I won't kill any more bunnies!

oxnop
    Free Member

Blur ltc?

I like mine, I had a 2009 (slacker) 5am with Talas 36's & a 2010 Mojo SL with 'big' forks. The blur is in a different league. For 'bigger' days I put on a coil shock and flat pedals, feels like a mini-DH bike 😀

backhander
    Free Member

I used to have a "trail" bike and now I have an "all mountain" bike apparently. I don't know how, it's the same **** bike!
    The manufacturer decided to reclassify it to make way for a new "cross country" bike. Just shows what a load of crap the classifications are IMO.

hora
    Free Member

Should be ok for that/in the diary.

sambob
    Free Member

I know you have chosen a bike but i have another suggestion= scott Genius? I loved my demo, but it made me feel sad because i know i can't have one 🙁 Geetee1972, that ride may well be invitation only, and fair enough, but it could also turn into a non-Pook Peak Pootle? Just a suggestion 🙂

slowrider
    Free Member

geetee, nope i dont think so. ive only been on a couple of peaks rides where i met hora and the gang.

sambob, i looked at them but was a bit put off by a shock that i didnt think i could srvice myself. bit fussy aint i?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Sambob – I will check with the others. I'm very happy for it to become that. It would be easy pace up and we all wait at the bottom etc.

sambob
    Free Member

That's what a pootle is anyway, and usually a wait at the top aswell 🙂

GW
    Free Member

backhander – Member
    So a reba is stiffer than a pike?

No, of course not but I'll use your stupidity as an example to help slowrider understand what I meant.

a 100mm Reba would nowhere near as stiff if the same chassis was used but stanchions and spring/damping rods were lengthened to give 140mm, Just as a Pike is a stiffer fork wound down to 95mm than wound right out to 140mm.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

After reading the dirt article mentioned at the beginning of the thread i'm struggling with my next/dream/ideal bike frame. all the other parts are chosen but do I go all the way with a last or join the masses with a 5/zesty! Worried that a last would take over some of the duties of my spesh demo 7 – making it almost obsolete…

pomona
    Free Member

So what you're saying GW is that short ones are stiffer?
    I'll have to remember that excuse next time I'm on the pull..

nbt

geetee1972 – Member
    I promise I won't kill any more bunnies!

Never make a promise you can't keep.

Will start a new thread to set up the ride

backhander
    Free Member

I'll use your stupidity

Irony in motion.

hora
    Free Member

Its too early to argue. If you insist I shall visit the forum with my borrowed sledgehammer 😯

elaineanne
    Free Member

borrowed sledgehammer ?….we all need a permanent sledgehammer on ere 😉

nbt

New thread started. Anyone playing out?

slowrider
    Free Member

wheels came today. other bits come tomorrow then the bike arrives thursday. hoping i can get it built up quick cos after thursday my next day off is tuesday!

Frankers
    Free Member

Never been a fan of Specialized but this seems pretty spot-on for the money. Was gonna get a new 2011 5 Spot when it comes out but for £2900 think i'm gonna give one of these a go

Specialized

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘the best all-mountain bike and why?’ is closed to new replies.