Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 115 total)
  • The bells are ringing… fitness content PSA!
  • molgrips
    Free Member

There were lots of links the last time it came up on here a week or so ago… Search…

McHamish
    Free Member

Here in Bavaria they get the afternoon off for Pancake day

Now that is a good idea…sometimes there’s just not enough time in the evening to eat enough pancakes.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I found it.

You can stretch your quads until the end of time and it will make no difference to and anterior pelvic tilt. You need to lengthen your hip flexors and your back muscles, the best way to do this is to strengthen your hamstrings, strengthen your core muscles in your abdomen, strengthen you glutes. No stretching involved.

McHamish
    Free Member

strengthen you glutes

Why do you need a strong ass?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Given the amount of kit that the vast majority of mtbers like to take on a ride they could do with a strong ass to carry all of it.

As for strong glutes, they extend your hip so need to be strengthened to balance out the pull from the hip flexors.

molgrips
    Free Member

So how does one strengthen your hamstrings and glutes then, if not by cycling?

What got me thnking about quads was a picture of Caster Semenya mid-stride, with her trailing leg out behind her way way further than mine goes, but her torso and back straight upwards.

Seems to me like that would be a good way of helping my running and stop the very painful back I get sometimes in the form of severely overused muscles.

SbZ – how do you extend a hip??

Jamie
    Free Member

There were lots of links the last time it came up on here a week or so ago… Search…

Here is another one.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

SbZ… you don’t like stretching, do you? What about Yoga, tis Awesome I tell thee.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Cycling is crap at strengthening hamstrings and glutes, but very good at making them weak in comparison to quads. Only leads to muscle imbalances.

Things like hamstring curls, squats, deadlifts etc are good for regaining that balance.

As for how do you extend your hip – lie on your belly and raise your leg in the air. Your arse muscle should fire just before your hamstrings kick in btw.

TSY – I’ll admit that I’m not a fan of stretching. I prefer the reciprocal inhibition method of lengthening muscles. Yoga is about way more than stretching, infact there is very little stretching in yoga.

molgrips
    Free Member

Must investigate that later. Can’t see how to exercise my hamstrings and glutes without my Quads.

Maybe running would help with that?

Northwind

I was looking for something that doesn’t seem to exist… Does anyone know of an adjustable weight kettlebell? Seems like you could make something like a dumbbell on its side with a handle on top, that you could fit normal plates to…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

😳 Christ I must be rubbish at it then as it feels a hell of a lot like stretching to me… a hell of a lot of the time!

iDave
    Free Member

Cycling is crap at strengthening hamstrings and glutes, but very good at making them weak in comparison to quads.

Aww, you were doing quite well up until that point. The main force in cycling is from hip extension, not knee extension. Try hip extension by contracting your quads…..

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’m told the turkish get up is where it’s at

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGRBvom4Zrw[/video]

Lance uses kettle bells.. must be good

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Care explain to me why so many cyclists have weak, tight hamstrings and get a shed load of injuries to those muscles and very strong quads for that matter.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Core is important.. even for Liam Kileen

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7yTIHUBpb8[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

Aww, you were doing quite well up until that point. The main force in cycling is from hip extension, not knee extension

Not disagreeing, but a question – Why is it then my quads that burn when I am hammering up a hill? Specifically, that bit near the knee on the outside?

iDave
    Free Member

Care explain to me why so many cyclists have weak, tight hamstrings and get a shed load of injuries to those muscles and very strong quads for that matter.

Which cyclists? What’s your evidence for this?

And are you claiming hip extension isn’t the main source of power when cycling?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What’s your evidence to say that it’s not?

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think that’s how this thing works, SbZ 🙂

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

It is impossible to prove anything with 100% certainty, and anyone that claims to do so is deluded, so I am asking iDave to back up his comment with evidence that is all.

iDave
    Free Member

SBZ – you want me to back up a counter claim to your claim which you have offered no back up to?

Interesting logic there captain

Shandy
    Free Member

I’ve been doing swings and get-ups for a couple of months, I’ve noticed a real improvement in functional strength and balance.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

IDave – got it in one. Go for it.

Shandy
    Free Member

That Liam Killeen vid is very good, thanks trickydisco!

iDave
    Free Member

OK then

There is no evidence to suggest that cyclists have weak hamstrings and anyone who suggests they do should produce some evidence or STFU

There is also ample evidence that hip extension is a major source of power when cycling and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to go back to personal training class. Only they don’t teach you that there.

HTH 😀

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

So you’ve gone from hip extension being THE MAIN source of power in cycling to it being A MAJOR source – which one is it?

Sandwich

Inspired by the weather I went running. No awesome to be had let alone Awesome. Must try harder!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Exercise outside today is Awesome!!!

I did the first of the interval sessions you set iDave on the rower, followed by a slow mile jog, 10 mins on the cross trainer and 20 lengths in the pool.

I think the medical term for my current state is ****ed?

Thank god for peanut butter and jam sarnies washed down with milk. 😀

iDave
    Free Member

Happy to go with either and both SBZ, which do you think it is?

Jamie
    Free Member

I did the first of the interval sessions you set iDave on the rower,

What intervals you doing? I, after joining the gym beginning of Feb, have started using the rower more and more as quite enjoy it. Currently doing:

500m x5 with 45 second rests. All 500m have to be done under 2mins (fastest interval so far was 1.42) and the resistance is set to 10.

Kills me in a good way.

iDave
    Free Member

Don’t tell him TSY….

Jamie
    Free Member

Don’t tell him TSY….

I agree. Don’t tell me, otherwise Dave will have to invoice me. I will leave it for others to keep him in caviar and Lamborghinis. 8)

iDave
    Free Member

Tell him TSY

Jamie
    Free Member

I agree. Do tell me, so I can have Dave invoice me. I want to be able to contribute to his caviar and Lamborghini fund.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

iDave you told me you were going to get yourself breast implants, and the adopt a small African child with the money!

Jamie
    Free Member

iDave you told me you were going to get yourself breast implants, and the adopt a small African child with the money!

Who you think he is? Madonna? Well, I guess him and her are the only people I know who serve caviar out of a Lamborghini.

Delicious!

iDave
    Free Member

It’s ALDI caviar though. From haddock.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

LOL, as long as you’re not wasting it Dave.

Jamie, the plan involves Higher Intensity.

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie, the plan involves Higher Intensity.

So do the rower with another rower strapped to my back. Gotcha!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘The bells are ringing… fitness content PSA!’ is closed to new replies.