Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • The bells are ringing… fitness content PSA!
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

To all of you serious about your fitness… if you’re not already focusing all your resistance training on kettle bells, do so. Immeditately.

Did my first workout with them this morning, my normal post work out warmdown swim was little more than a paddle… I’m ruined. 😀

iDave
    Free Member

you have chosen wisely my son…

mieszko
    Free Member

Good on You.

Have a doughnut Yeti.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Have you been speaking to iDave TSY?

Oooh, get you with your fancy kettle bells.

A 56lb weight while wearing a woolly hat, sunglasses and no shirt on a frosty morning is proper resistance training.

56lb by Vegan Graham, on Flickr

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m not sure I want to look as ‘manly’ as you Graham.

Molgrips… you don’t think I’m letting you get the edge for the Nevis Tri, do you?

5thElefant
    Free Member

A 56lb weight while wearing a woolly hat, sunglasses and no shirt on a frosty morning is proper resistance training.

That’ll put hair on your chest that will…

psychle
    Free Member

only just though…

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Yeti, i was feeling really strong yesterday, so i upped my reps/weights and did some incline press ups yesterday. Opted for putting my feet on a proper step in the gym, rather than using a lower reebok step*. I did 45 and then dropped off the step to do the rest normally. By 4pm yesterday afternoon (having spent the afternoon fixing bikes and a wee mtb ride) i was ruined and by bedtime i was in bits. This morning i have the most severe doms that i have had in years. I’m meant to be riding tonight but atm, sneezing/breathing deeply/having the hicups/brushing my hair hurts and carrying my bike down the stairs was torture. I can’t seem to stretch out the sore area either.

I think i need my status in our convent elevated since i’m dedicated enough to inflict such torture on myself 😆

*no half measures for me – all or nothing but in hindsight just a little bit of an incline would have been better than a big step.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

DirtyG… Fair play to you, but isn’t DOMS going to get worse tomorrow??

I’ve been working on some designs for some statues for the convent…
    You are set to take the position of Mary in the church, I feel this is pretty much the highest accolade available and recognises your dedication to the cause… is there any pose you feel captures our message most strongly.

Me, I’ll be Jesus… think of Jesus on the cross, but it’ll be me hanging from the gymnastic rings in the cross position instead.

iDave
    Free Member

talking of gymnastic rings TSY, prepare for fighters pull-ups next month…..

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I need to get some rings, have seen one of the PT’s with a set.
    I managed 2×10 chin-ups after the KB workout today, I think I was just riding a small high as by the time I’d walked to the pool I was dead.

My arms are killing right now, and I’ve got HIIT to do at lunch!

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips… you don’t think I’m letting you get the edge for the Nevis Tri, do you?

Heh. So you’re doing it then? I hear iDave also wants to.

DGOAB – what are doms?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Delayed Onset Muscle Syndrome… at a guess.

Certainly thinking about it… looking at joining a local tri-club.

iDave
    Free Member

Delayed Onset Muscle Syndrome Soreness

****ered is the medical term

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.

Bit of a noob error that one. Getting them is the noob error, not the syndrome instead of soreness bit.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

SBZ… I don’t suffer from it… I was born with the Awesome gene. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

It would suck if I had to do it on my own.

Plus I’ll bring Mrs Grips and hopefully both Lil Gripses, you can all meet them 🙂

I’m not sure I’ve experienced this DOMS thing..

5thElefant
    Free Member

I managed 2×10 chin-ups after the KB workout today

If you want to improve your chins rapidly get a chain belt and add weights. Your unweighted sets will feel like you’re rocket assisted.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

TSY – I never said that you did. Guilty conscience?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

SbZ… cheeky edit there… I thought you were calling me a noob! 😆

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

TSY – I also didn’t say that you weren’t a noob… 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Grrr!
    *Gets back down the gym for 20 rounds with the bag*

molgrips
    Free Member

I wonder if I should join a gym?

Oh, and whilst we are talking about fitness.. I was thinking about the anterior pelvic tilt thing from the other day. I think my quads are too tight pulling my pelvis forwards. I never stretch them, but I usually stretch my hamstrings.

Gonna start stretching them after today’s ride.

I miss XC skiing…

sadexpunk

havent really looked at kettlebells that much but from what ive seen you grip them like a dumbell. so can someone explain to me why theyre better than normal weights please?
    and is there anything to take the place of a barbell?

cheers

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Molgrips… I’d just get invloved with some Yoga if you’re doing everything else on the program I’m on.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I hope not – i usually hurt pretty quickly after weights/training if i’m going to be sore and it goes quickly too.

I was thinking Mary in a yoga pose. You can reflect the effort needed, and i can show the zen/after picture. 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

What programme are you on?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

One devised by RST Sport.

Kettle bells / HIIT and as much endurance work as I can manage.

I’ve supplemented it with 2 Yoga sessions, some bouldering / climbing and a couple of freestyle swimming technique sessions.

DirtyG… I love it. I’m thinking merchandise here… so we can have you in various Yoga poses for people to worship…. kerrrrchiinggg!

molgrips
    Free Member

I am awaiting the results of my RST sport consultancy with a selection of workouts. Not sure if Yoga will be on it mind.

Are your goals Tri orientated?

iDave
    Free Member

sadex – the position of the handle and weight distribution is different – for many kettlebell exercises you can just use a dumbell but for others it’s not going to be as effective

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

molgrips… they’re pretty much Awesome orientated.

Endurance events in general, needed to shake up the current HIIT based training as I was plateauing.

I added the yoga, because I really enjoy it, it’s comparatively low intensity and I want to be super flexible.

McHamish
    Free Member

The group of exercises that are commonly followed when using kettlebells are great…I use them frequently as they impact a wider group of muscles and help with core strength and cardio.

I think they’re particularly good when using weights to cross train rather than using weights to build muscle. My main ‘fitness’ activity is Thai boxing and kettlebells are very popular with martial artists due to the benefits they offer.

I recommend something called ‘hurricanes’, this is where you set a timer with 1 minute rounds and then do the following;

1. skipping
    2. kettlebell exercise
    3. skipping
    4. different kettlebell exercise.
    etc etc

As well as kettlebell exercises throw in some sit ups, push ups, burpees…whatever else you fancy. If you don’t fancy skipping you could jump on a turbo trainer or maybe shadow boxing, heavy bag etc.

I do a few 10 minute rounds…unless you’re a fitness beast, you’ll be jolly tired.

Hurricanes aren’t my invention – Martin Rooney’s website

ronjeremy
    Free Member

I once cut my lip on a Kettle Chip, you see no pain no (waist) gain!!

Sandwich

Only the Awesome gene? To be really flying you need the AWESOME gene. Best see Phil for upgrade details!

McHamish
    Free Member

First time I had kettle chips in a cafe I almost complained…it definately said ‘chips’ on the menu and all I got were a pile of bloody crisps.

molgrips
    Free Member

Endurance events in general

As in MTB events?

Here in Bavaria they get the afternoon off for Pancake day, so the countdown to my afternoon ride is beginning 🙂 And it’s a glorious day.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Mainly MTB, LEJOG… that’ll be more of a pootle though TBH.
    I just want to be insanely fit… tri-athalon could be the way forward.

Oh, and Sandwich… I have level !!! Awesome.

molgrips
    Free Member

To be proper fit you have to race, IMO. Otherwise you’re just grinding out lots and lots of miles…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Anyone got a link to the anterior pelvic title thing? I’m just interested to see how quads can cause such a thing, when you consider where they attach.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘The bells are ringing… fitness content PSA!’ is closed to new replies.