Viewing 41 post (of 41 total)
  • The bay cycleway… morecombe to walney island
  • gastromonkey
    Free Member

I did the Bay Cycleway on Saturday. I’ve lived in Lancaster for 11 years and it was a real eye-opener to see the fantastic roads around the bay and on the southern tip of Cumbria. I chose to get the early train to Barrow and ride back to Glasson Dock. The weather was good and the wind was kind most of the way. There are plenty of places to stop for coffee / lunch on the way. The roads were quiet and nice to ride.

There are a couple of sections to watch out for if you’re on a road bike. After leaving Greenodd there is a section on a farm track. It was stoney and not nice to ride on skinny tyres, I took it very slowly to avoid any damage to tyres and wheels. The second section to watch is the cycle path from Lancaster to Glasson Dock. In the dry it’s lovely with a few parts that are not tarmac and give it a strada bianci feel. However if it’s been wet they will be muddy and slippery on skinny tyres.

I went off the route a few times. A couple added an extra mile and 1 diversion was planned so I didn’t use the canal towpath between Carnforth and Hest Bank.

It’s very achievable in 1 day. I’m slow and I’ve not been on the bike much for 6 weeks.

As I’d completed the 85 miles to get from Walney to Glasson Dock and needed to ride the 6-7 miles home I did an extra loop to make it 100 miles. The first time I’ve ridden 100 miles in a day and I did it solo, so felt rather proud of myself.

Viewing 41 post (of 41 total)

The topic ‘The bay cycleway… morecombe to walney island’ is closed to new replies.