Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The "Battle Proms" – anyone been?
  • hebdencyclist
    Free Member

We’ve just received as a Christmas present two vouchers to The Battle Proms.

I’d never heard of it before but I’ve just looked on the website and it looks absolutely **** gruesome, spending the evening in the company of 10,000 bellends waving Union Flags and listening to “stirring patriotic music”.

Has anyone been who can tell me it’s not that bad, or am I just going to have to make the best of it by drinking heavily?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Classic FM meets the Daily Express.

The stuff of nightmares.

(Haven’t been, btw. )

BigJohn

I’d never heard of this but looking at the website I think it might match an Andre Rieu extravaganza for its toe-curling gruesomeness.

Looking at the galleries, is it “whites only” admission?

slowoldman

“stirring patriotic music”.

I could only find mention of Beethoven and Tchaikovsky. That won’t be allowed after Brexit.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I could only find mention of Beethoven and Tchaikovsky. That won’t be allowed after Brexit.

😀

But yeah. From the little I can find out about the music programme, it’s any crowd-pleasing classical piece that has anything to do with wars or battles. Plus Rule **** Britannia and Land of Hope and Glory. Nothing interesting, challenging, life-affirming or beautiful.

I cannot think of a more culturally bankrupt evening.

First world problems and all that, but I want to curl up in the corner and have a little cry.

funkmasterp

Sell the tickets?

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Sell the tickets?

It would be ungracious. The gift was from close relatives and they’ll expect a full match report.

Other close relatives were given the same gift by the same people. They feel the same way about going. So we’re going to go to the same prom, meet up and form a group, then make the best of it and enjoy the Spitfire flypast, the fireworks, (probably) some of the music, have some good food, and get nicely pissed on a summer evening 8)

km79
    Free Member

You could always put your back out a couple days before. How gutted you would be to miss out.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

You could always put your back out saw your own head off a couple days before.

FTFY

fin25
    Free Member

A friend of mine went a couple of years ago. Like you, he thought it would be shit. He really enjoyed it.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

A friend of mine went a couple of years ago. Like you, he thought it would be shit. He really enjoyed it.

Good to hear – thank you!

Brother_Will
    Free Member

It’s quite good, went with the family in Stamford, not as patriotic as you think. Pack a good picnic, good booze and enjoy the music fireworks and other effects.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’ve been few times to Highclere and Blenheim. Enjoyed it when the weather was good. Didn’t like it when it rained.

PePPeR

As always with events like these, it’s who you go with that matters, sounds like you have enough people going to get together have a lovely picnic and have a great social time together. We will also need a match report.. 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘The "Battle Proms" – anyone been?’ is closed to new replies.