Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The Balmoral Estate in the news…
  • slowoldgit
    Free Member

Contains an image which might disturb those of a sensitive disposition. But it’s what happens…

Queen’s Balmoral Estate accused of mountain hare massacre

… there’s a protest building about Mountain Hare slaughter in the Cairngorms. The National Park Authority is under some pressure.

cinnamon_girl

😯 There’s a disturbing pic in that link. You could have warned us slowoldgit!

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Fixed for you.

ninfan
    Free Member

How odd, we sit there listening for months and months about how the deer population in Scotland needs massive culling to encourage rewilding, yet as soon as anybody goes out and kills anything else its an ‘unjustified slaughter’

I particularly like the included photo of hares being put into a game larder (from whence they will go into the food chain – remarkable – a sustainable source of clean, green nuclear free meat supply that doesn’t involve anything like the level of cruelty seen in intensive chicken and pig farming, hurrah!)

Hare populations are cyclical, but known to be high on grouse estates because it creates ideal habitat (due in no small part to predator control) – studies have shown no changes in the distribution of hares over many years, and the fact that the populations are high enough to have permitted such a cull in the first place, and that this cull is a large scale one over several estates, for the first time in years, underlines the weakness of the accusations being made.

http://www.hutton.ac.uk/research/groups/ecological-sciences/landscape-and-spatial-ecology/mountain-hares

In other news, the National Trust for Scotland et al seem to have discovered that countryside management costs money, and that if you get rid of all the stalking, shooting and sheep farming, there’s nobody left to pay for it!

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14209152.National_Trust_for_Scotland__to_ask_people_to_pay_towards_wilderness_upkeep__for_first_time/

mt
    Free Member

It’s tasty stuff hope it’s not been wasted. Rabbit for us tonight but I’d be just as happy wth Hare.

Drac

Shooting estate shoots game shocker.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

That’s an interesting linky, ninfan. I’ll go back and read it all later. Meanwhile Para 3, that page, is worth everyone taking a look. Over and out, stuff to do.

Robz
    Free Member

Hare is delicious. One of the tastiest game meats for sure.

I do hope though that they aren’t being culled needlessly or being wasted.

Is it not illegal to kill Hare during certain times of the year?

mt
    Free Member

Just been out with the hounds and seen a couple of Hares. I love to see them about.

Moses

Ninfan asked:

the National Trust for Scotland et al seem to have discovered that countryside management costs money, and that if you get rid of all the stalking, shooting and sheep farming, there’s nobody left to pay for it!

If you stop the subsidies that we give to grouse, deer & upland sheep farmers (£50/Ha, I believe) then there would be plenty of money to pay for decent countryside management.

Drac

But no farming.

Scapegoat

Robz open season for Mountain Hare in Scotland is August 1st to Feb 28/29.

anagallis_arvensis

Drac as the farmers are always saying theres no money in it anyway!

Drac

Is that not teachers?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

The Nat. Park people spoke…

We recognise the public concern about the scale of culls and this emphasises the need for good information on populations and restraint in line with SNH’s advice in the meantime.

here…

http://cairngorms.co.uk/mountain-hare-cull-statement/

My own particular viewpoint is, if the ticks can’t feed on hares, will they bite grouse or other animals or walkers? I have an interest here.

Drac

My own particular viewpoint is, if the tics can’t feed on hares, will they bite grouse or other animals or walkers? I have an interest here.

I don’t think tics think like that.

mt
    Free Member

it the mountain bikers the tic go for.

mountainman

Road kill hare makes for nice pie if fresh ,bonus or early morning commute back in wales on bike.pop it in poly bag in pannier n sorted when at work as a butcher.

Actually better hung for few days .

Drac

Hare should be well hung *giggidy* not that keen on it though.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Google “Salmorejo” 8)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘The Balmoral Estate in the news…’ is closed to new replies.