Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • The Armstrong Lie
  • hora
    Free Member

So last night I researched this and it gave me a real mixed bag of emotions. Lance was an angry kid, had no male role models and one telling part…the Andreu’s nor Lance would reveal certain people’s knowledge or involvement (team Director etc), was Lance manipulated into his situation when he was niave and weak then because he’s bloody minded he went at it all with his stubbornness?

Many many shades of grey.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Manipulated?
    Um, no.
    He is a sociopath.

The only good thing to come out of his involvement in cycling is that they take doping somewhat more seriously, still don’t do enough. But its better than it was.

JAG

The guy was born with some good Genes and a strong character. He then made some bad choices whilst in a very bad place.

I also agree that he helped our sport get cleaner – not clean but cleaner.

wwaswas

I also agree that he helped our sport get cleaner

Not on purpose.

[edit] to expand – he didn’t ‘help’ – that implies it was an outcome he desired, he was the cause of it.

Wookster

I was a bit disappointed by it, I think they took it a bit easy on Armstrong. They were too delicate with just how vicious he was with those who spoke against him.

Interesting chap, but I don’t think he will ever be open fully about all he did.

jekkyl

The guy had no remorse even when exposed, remember his gloating tweet after it all came out of him ‘laying around’ with his 7 yellow cheaters jerseys. (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/nov/11/lance-armstrong-yellow-jerseys) he’s a scumbag.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Just wondering what sources the OP used for his research?

As i know Armstrong and his cronies were quite smart with making sure negative articles were shouted down. Most of the cycling press were involved. Pretty sure that some journalists knew they were doing it, others just published what they were given.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Spelled naive wrongly. Imagine that.

fasthaggis

Time for a visit to Specsavers,then all will become clear.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I am making no excuses for him …

He was in a game where the majority of the people at the top where cheating, he was the very best at cheating. This means being all in and behaviour that we all find unnacceptable. His determinatiin and single mindedness (qualities found in many top sportsmen especially individual sports) where utilised to the max in his cheating.

buckster
    Free Member

US cycling was involved in doping for years prior to Armstrong. He was just the icing on the cake. It was so obvious he was a cheat, his associations, his performance and his attitude.

atlaz
    Free Member

Not really. It’s a pretty black and white situation

Pretty sure that some journalists knew they were doing it, others just published what they were given.

There are a lot of journos who engaged in hand wringing after the USADA report and the Oprah program about how they blackballed colleagues and ignored the elephant in the room in order to have continued access to Lance and his gang. Some of them even admit they were pretty convinced of Lance’s doping even whilst publicly writing articles in support of him and slamming doubters.

lovewookie

Watched the armstrong lie, thought that it portrayed him post event as a regretful, but overall nice-ish guy.

Watched The Program and though a but less polished, he’s portrayed as an absolute asshat.

somewhere lies the truth, about the lies, and a truth…somewhere..erm

headfirst
    Free Member

Oh that’s what that book was about…if I’d known it was about cycling I would have tried harder to wrench it out of my wife’s hands, she couldn’t leave it alone.

Nico
    Free Member

Rob Titchener in the Tour de France? What were they thinking?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Hand (singular) surely. Wouldn’t the other have been occupied?

dovebiker

There was a concerted campaign by Pharmstrong, his associates and acolytes to bully, shout-down and threaten anyone who dared question his miraculous achievements and lots of astro-turfing by Livestrong interns – Trek effectively killed off Greg Lemond’s business as they daren’t question their golden goose. He was protected by US Cycling, sponsors and their lawyers who bank-rolled the whole scam and used cancer as a shield. As it was, he wasn’t that great a rider, with only 1x WC and Fleche Wallone his only other major achievements – even doped-up he couldn’t beat the likes of Michael Boogeerd at Amstel. He killed-off the careers of many aspiring riders who didn’t want to adopt his methods. Go and read Tyler Hamilton’s book for an alternative perspective.

woodster

He’s clearly a massive narcissist and he still says he won those Tours. He ruined lives with his lies and he says that? He’s not sorry and he’s not deserving of any sympathy.

excitable1
    Free Member

I’ve said this before but I’ll say it again…

His biggest and most disappointing lie is the one he still maintains, and that is regarding his confession to the doctors when he was diagnosed with testicular cancer about what he was taking before then.

He should be screaming that out as loud as he can because the drugs and steroids he was taking, if they didn’t cause the cancer certainly helped accelerate it, that’s what steroids do.

What clearer message can you send out to put people off taking drugs and steroids is there other than ‘don’t, they might kill you like they nearly killed me’, but instead he continues to deny that witnessed conversation in the blind hope that his Livestrong campaign is still his saving grace.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

His biggest and most disappointing lie is the one he still maintains, and that is regarding his confession to the doctors when he was diagnosed with testicular cancer about what he was taking before then.

He swore a deposition saying that Betsy Andreu’s recollection of the conversation was untrue.

Were he to admit that he lied in that deposition, he is open to a criminal charge of perjury. He has to continue the lie to avoid prosecution.

austinburner
    Free Member

for me, biggest & most dissapointing is saying he rode the comeback clean!
    You saw it right, oldish guy keeping up with feather light spaniards, in the prime (prob on the juice as well).
    if he admits that, then i think the respect would come back.

finbar
    Free Member

I suggest anyone interested in Lance and Lance-era cycling should read “The Secret Race” by Tyler Hamilton, if you haven’t already.

EDIT: sorry dovebiker, I see you’ve mentioned this already.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I suggest anyone interested in Lance and Lance-era cycling should read “The Secret Race” by Tyler Hamilton, if you haven’t already.

Absolutely agree. It’s a brilliant book.

samunkim
    Free Member

Well lets just thank all thats holy, that none of our legendary (middle distance ) athletes, were juiced up to the eyeballs !!

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

TBH the doping is pretty much irrelevant. So many of them were (and still are) at it that it’s almost an irrelevance.

The way he went about covering his arse is the worst bit. Ruined many people, ruined a few businesses. Dragged people through the shit.

Even Virenque didn’t do that, and he was (until the Armstrong shit hit) one of the most unrepentant dopers around.

somafunk

Armstrong has started His own podcast series here, I’ve downloaded it so will have a listen when out n’ about this afternoon.

smitghga34
    Free Member

The argument that everyone was doping so that makes it ok or a level playing field is rubbish. Many talented cyclists have chosen not to dope, you just won’t have heard of them as they got pushed down the rankings and out by those that did and therefore lost out on a successful cycling career. We all have a choice with the decisions we make, it’s not all about achieving money and fame.

kcr
    Free Member

if he admits that, then i think the respect would come back.

Don’t think so…

duckman

The Hamilton book is a cracking read, Armstrong is beyond tainted, I didn’t even like reading about him in the expose by the Times guy.

jambalaya
    Free Member

US cycling was involved in doping for years prior to Armstrong.

I think I am right in saying US used “blood doping” at an Olympics as it wasn’t illegal at the time.

mildbore

As a doctor points out in ‘The Death of Marco Pantani’ not all riders react in the same way to EPO etc. If everybody dopes the ones whose bodies react best will rise to the top, not the best athletes.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m in the black and white camp too – Hamilton’s book doesn’t paint a very good picture.

Lance doesn’t come across as very likable, destroying others to maintain the lie and then not really seeming that contrite when caught.

crazy-legs

then not really seeming that contrite when caught.

]

I think he was so surprised at being caught that he probably didn’t even think about how to react. More or less considered untouchable, won everything that he took on (TdF and court cases). Classic case where the rider has become bigger than the sport.

USA Cycling, the team, the doctors, some of the media (who were only looking at selling magazines). Everyone was in on all of it, the race organisers kept on putting in harder and harder, more dramatic stages, the riders, teams, managers etc felt that the only option open to them was doping and the cycle continues – everyone else is doing it so I have to as well and that mentality pervaded all the levels.

Let’s not forget as well that the sport needed Armstrong after the catastrophic previous years of Festina and Puerto. It was in their interests to have a charismatic English-speaking, untainted winner. Opened doors in America that even Greg Lemond had never managed to find.

The stuff about destroying others careers is largely rubbish – the only thing about that is it was more public than the thousands of other cases where bright-eyed naive young riders had gone over to the continent trying to make it big, been told by their DS to dope (becasue everyone doped), refused and were thrown off teams or who spent years scraping round in regional level Belgian kermesses getting their arses kicked before giving up in tears.

tpbiker
    Free Member

The argument that everyone was doping so that makes it ok or a level playing field is rubbish. Many talented cyclists have chosen not to dope, you just won’t have heard of them as they got pushed down the rankings and out by those that did and therefore lost out on a successful cycling career. We all have a choice with the decisions we make, it’s not all about achieving money and fame.

Trouble i have with that arguement is that when you are not at the cutting edge of the sport you probably aren’t going to be so inclined to cheat. I imagine that the majority of talented guys didn’t start out thinking they were going to dope, but when they got to the point that they saw natural talent would get them only so far they probably changed their minds.

I suspect that all things being equal, the best guys that were doping would also most probably have been the best guys if everyone was clean.

Not trying to defend the dopers, but don’t think its as clear cut as saying they took away the livlihoods of the clean guys

project
    Free Member

He raised mens awareness of a killer illness, he got loads of funding to support research, he also got more people racing and cycling.

He did wrong, but achieved all the above, anyone else achieved similar, in any other sport, NO.

hora
    Free Member

OK on this viewing of the documentary it made me realise what a strong, manipulative? character Johan Bruneel was. The Andreau’s mentioned that when there was two rival team contract offers to Johan these suddenly mysteriously vanished. Also when Andreau refused to dope one year he was given a stark choice. The blatant team all doping in the ‘broken down’ team bus. All this and JB got away without any official damage or charges etc etc.

I’m starting to think LA had a twisted sense of loyalty. Maybe his ass was saved with the doping question on the 99 Tour win and he owed a big favour/felt he was saved/owed someone(?) loyalty and it all snow balled from there on and once in upto his neck with the risk of letting down alot of survivors, the loss of money and sheer bloodimnded one-narrow focus personality he was easy to control and steer? (Lance). He didn’t set out to lie, but like Traders upto their neck in losses his view on what was normal and acceptable became skewered by personal survival at all costs. More lies in a original lie was normal, he became a bad person. In Italy when he was younger he made the choice to dope as he knew the alternative was to go home. Then when he was at rock bottom and came back weaker in muscle mass he knew (and was covered) into a deeper lie onwards.

This is why I think I could forgive the bloke.

aP
    Free Member

I didn’t think it would take this long for LanceLove to be back TBH.

sq225917
    Free Member

Do Livestrong fund research? Thought it was just PR guff

dovebiker

To say that Pharmstrong was manipulated is a fallacy, he’s been saying this as his defence to try and throw Weisel, Bruyneel et al under the bus. Weisel was able to attract other investors and they effectively took out huge bets in his favour – to the disadvantage of the likes of SCA Promotions because via Verbruggen they were protected by the UCI. The likes of Trek, Oakley and Nike were all complicit in the con – an Oakley employee committed perjury to protect him. LiveSTRONG spend most of it’s money on promoting itself, administration and private jets – it was only latterly under scrutiny that it actually spent any money on research. A considerable amount of its administration costs were lawyer fees. If it wasn’t for the likes of Greg Lemond, Betsy Andreu and David Walsh, the cycling media would still be blowing smoke up his ar$e.

maccruiskeen

He raised mens awareness of a killer illness, he got loads of funding to support research, he also got more people racing and cycling.
    He did wrong, but achieved all the above, anyone else achieved similar, in any other sport, NO.

Jimmy saville did a bit of charity work too 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘The Armstrong Lie’ is closed to new replies.